New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I am also using the linksys wireles router, nasa 3rd floor sya and kahit nasa second floor ako smooth pa din connection ng laptop ko, PC ko is wired.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2003
    would it be better to use a router instead of access point? esp with pldt installations where you can setup the modem to act as router for wired connectivity. better ba range ng wifi router than access points?
    sa house kasi panay walls and cellphone signals are actually quite weak because of the concrete walls.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    router is already equipped with AP in one...

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_rex
    thanks. ok, the modem should have to be the one where i connect the utp cable from the transmitter, which in turn i connect it to my computer via lan card, correct? is the POE, different from a DSL modem?

thanks!

yes the pldt modem (if you get pldt pero ganun din sa iba) comes with a utp cable. ideally, kapag nagpunta techs ng pldt sa inyo, ikakabit nila ito sa PC lan card mo. then they will configure in WinXP, PPOE connection (parang dial-up with user name and password).

The linksys router emulates that function: yun PPOE configuration sa WinXP. connect the supplied UTP cable of the modem to your internet port in the router. then provide another UTP cable and connect from any of the 4 ports of your router on one end and your PC LAN card on one end.

kapag all setup ka na, load IE then type 192.168.1.1. web-based config yan router. you can type the username & password there.

with your wireless laptop naman, just scan for a wireless network SSID. by default, linksys ang SSID. then kapag connected na sa tray icon mo, load IE and surf!

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    If you want maximum coverage and less dead spots, it's worthwhile to get the latest Linksys 300N (Wifi-N)

6. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    ok, i appreciate your inputs. however, i'm in a tight budget, that is why i chose WRT54G, and since my house is not that big, i figure, it would fit my need. as for the price, i checked the price of Netgear vs. D-Link vs. Linksys, i guess i could shed another 200 bucks. also, its the construction of the Linksys - its robust and sturdy.

all and still, i'll have to read more later.

just keep your comments coming, i really appreciate it.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by radiazone
    router is already equipped with AP in one...
    Yup. Most newer wireless routers are just that, a router and access point in one unit.

Speaking of wireless routers, I'm still using the long discontinued MS MN-500 802.11b base station on this pc and the MN-501 USB on my wife's pc. I use it strictly to give internet access for my wife's pc. It's done a superlative job during the past 3 years. I've been giving thought to replacing them with Linksys 802.11G components. But, even the 802.11b operates at a max of 11 Mbps while my cable broadband tops out at 4.55 Mbps. It looks like even fast broadband isn't enough to saturate 802.11b.

I'd like to see opinions from those Linksys users any significant speed boost with their internet going from Wifi B to Wifi G.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; July 6th, 2006 at 08:49 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    *Jun,

The MS MN-500's 11 Mbps is the theoretical maximum speed at which 802.11b transmits. Actual speed is determined by several factors, including the distance between the AP and the client.

In the MS MN-500's case, it usually maxes out at 2.4 Mbps at a distance of 10 feet. At 100 feet, speed falls below 1.0 Mbps.

So depending on your set-up's intra-distance, your broadband's 4.55 Mbps maybe faster. If so, then you stand to gain by upgrading to 802.11g. Note though you have to pair an 802.11g AP with an 802.11g receiver to avail of the speed increase.

Hope this helps.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by architect
    Note though you have to pair an 802.11g AP with an 802.11g receiver to avail of the speed increase.

Hope this helps.
    That's the plan, eventually. I confirmed the 2.4 Mbps cap. But the distance is more like 35-40ft plus 4 walls (wireless signal at 4/5). Pretty good for a WiFi B device. The internet is still quite fast. It's mainly downloads that show the 2.4 Mbps cap. I'll hold off on upgrading to WiFi G until next year or whenever my wife or daughter grumbles about any slowness. Thanks.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; July 7th, 2006 at 10:21 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Just an addendum.......

Our washing machine/dryer has a wireless gizmo that allows the washing mashine to communicate the wash settings to the dryer which adjusts its own settings accordingly.

This interferes with the wireless reception on my wife's pc. I noticed the signal strength drop from 4/5 to 2/5 whenever the washing machine is on.

Edit: Our laundry room is between the basestation here in the den and the wife's pc in the family room.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; July 11th, 2006 at 09:10 AM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
techie tsikoteers, need your help- setting up a wireless home network