New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    dear all, i am in the process of planning how to setup my home network on my house. i'm in the market of buying a wireless WiFi router. however, apart from the WiFi router, and the pc, a DSL and or a broadband internet connection, what else do i need? do i need a still need a DSL modem?

also, i'm soliciting your review about this model, wireless router of Linksys WRT54GC WiFi G router.

your inputs will be very much appreciated.

thank you

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    If you are referring to the modem installed by the telco, yes you still need that. You connect the internet port of your linksys to the ethernet port of the telco's modem. Set the internet port of your linksys to either DHCP, static or PPPoE. Setting will depend on your broadband provider.
    If for personal use, try to read some basic tips on securing your wireless lan (hiding ssid, using keys etc). Baka makalibre ng internet ang neighbor mo.
    Hope this helps.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yes you would still need a DSL modem as paulp said. But that shouldnt pose a problem as this is already supplied by your DSL provider.

I'm not very sure about the exact model number but I did set up a LinkSys Wifi router sa bahay ni kumander and ok naman. It took a lot longer than expected though kasi nagloloko yung crypt key and SSID. Everything worked fine when I turned it off however. If your neighbors are not that close to you, maliit lang naman range ng router e, so theres no need to turn the security on unless you really want to.

Goodluck
    Last edited by Chip; July 5th, 2006 at 09:14 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Your PC will need to be WiFi-ready as well. If not, you can add WiFi capability either via an add-on card or a USB adapter. Note that you will want an adapter with WiFi B/G features instead of just WiFi B.

For broadband, your ISP will typically provide the modem. However, the installer will usually just connect the modem to your stand-alone PC. Basically, connection goes from broadband source (wall) to modem to PC.

If you need to install the router yourself, then just follow the step-by-step procedure as outlined in the install CD that comes with the Linksys router. I think you will be pleasantly surprised to find the instructions well illustrated and explained.

For a comprehensive review of the WRT54GC router, check out http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.p...howpage&pid=12

The site also contains a lot of info on other Linksys models as well.

If your place has a lot of interior concrete walls, then you may want to consider the more standard WRT54G as it has a longer range. (Concrete blocks the signal.) Take note, though, there are several versions. But if you are not into modifying your router with third party after-market firmware upgrades, then you will do fine with the latest version. That is, assuming the router can cover your entire home. If not, then you may need a range expander (WRE54G). Alternately, you can may get a second router to use as a repeater, though not all models can function as one.

Lastly, depending on your security concerns, you may want to tweak the settings by accessing the admin screen (type http://192.168.1.1 on your browser).

Hope this helps.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    just finished setting up mine. if you already have a broadband connection all you need is the wifi router. you will still need the modem that the telco provided when you subscribed to them. the modem is always supplied by the telco so you don't need to buy one. if you will use a laptop with no built in wireless connection just buy a wireless adapter. madali lang maginstall nun. kung desktop naman ang gagamitin mo meron na din nabibiling adapter para dun. i think the price of the adapter is 2k to 2.5k parahas lang pang laptop or desktop.

madali lang magsetup may kasama namang drivers kaya kayang kaya mo yan.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_rex
    dear all, i am in the process of planning how to setup my home network on my house. i'm in the market of buying a wireless WiFi router. however, apart from the WiFi router, and the pc, a DSL and or a broadband internet connection, what else do i need? do i need a still need a DSL modem?

also, i'm soliciting your review about this model, wireless router of Linksys WRT54GC WiFi G router.

your inputs will be very much appreciated.

thank you

we have the same model. I sucessfully connected this to my dad's laptop, my wife's pc with wifi lan card, and my mac notebook with airport extreme with so little effort.

modem will be supplied by provider.

so if you're using a PC, you'll need a WiFi Lan card with the same speed as your router. buy mo na lang linksys wifiG card na din para no compatibility issues.

kindly take note of WiFi speeds ha, meron kasi 802.11b saka 802.11g. yun 802.11b around 11mbps pero yun 802.11g around 54mbps na or five times faster. this is not really impt. sa dsl coz nasa kbps pa lang naman yan, pero if you're going to transfer large files, the 54mbps speed is recommended.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    thanks. ok, the modem should have to be the one where i connect the utp cable from the transmitter, which in turn i connect it to my computer via lan card, correct? is the POE, different from a DSL modem?

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue
    kindly take note of WiFi speeds ha, meron kasi 802.11b saka 802.11g. yun 802.11b around 11mbps pero yun 802.11g around 54mbps na or five times faster. this is not really impt. sa dsl coz nasa kbps pa lang naman yan, pero if you're going to transfer large files, the 54mbps speed is recommended.
    actually, i'm setting up a wired/wireless connection in my home. wired for my pc and wireless for my laptop. my laptop is 802.11 b/g capable. and used it on one occassion at a wireless zone in mall. hoping this would work.

post ko yung mga developments later.

thanks!
    Last edited by ian_rex; July 6th, 2006 at 05:19 AM.

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    in my opinion any mainstream brand would do. I am using Netgear in our house (bought it for $29 in the states when i was there last year). I also configured my cousins wifi connection using an MSI wireless router. I also was able to use D-link for a few months. Basta reputable manufacturer ok na, why spend extra, basta maganda ang reviews pwede na.

Also minsan misleading ang mga review sites lalo na pag U.S. based, dahil karamihan sa mga yan inutil mag configure, kaya dinadaan na lang sa reklamo at negative reviews, claiming na di maganda ang product
    Last edited by laklak; July 6th, 2006 at 09:22 AM.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    sir try if you can get the WRT54GX, partner it with the GX card too for maximum range, especially if your wireless signal will have to go through a lot of walls. Range expander just doesn't cut it...very minimal improvement.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    The WRT54GX may be a better choice if it is pre-determined the WRT54G will not have sufficient range, given that the GX's price is more than double that of the G's.

However, the WRT54GX uses MIMO to enhance speed and range performance. MIMO is a non-standard performance-enhancement technology that doesn't solve WLAN problems caused by an already over-crowded 2.4GHz band. More importantly, it has minimal chances of being compatible with 802.11n (the next standard) and may therefore limit flexibility when upgrading or expanding.

That said, it really depends on how the network will be used and expanded in the future. If the objective is simply to have optimal range and speed without consideration for the future, then the GX may yet turn out to be the most logical choice. (Caveat: client side must use GX-based receivers for optimal range and speed. That means additional costs.)

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
techie tsikoteers, need your help- setting up a wireless home network