New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
  1. FrankDrebin Guest
    Looks like we need a new thread for Philippines (Dis)Armed Forces Modernization Ideas. Mods? ;)

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    yeah i remember sa news when a F-117 was shot down sa yogoslavia

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Altis6453
    I remember the AFP defending a proposal to acquire Israeli-made Kfir jets to replace the aging F5 fleet.
    eto yung Israeli Kfir jets na napropose noon. when I read on the news, hinintay ko na dumating. Instead, what we got were the italian made S211 trainer jets which as of last count, tatlong beses na yata nag-crash.

ang isa pang nabalitaan ko sa news, inoffer daw ng Russia yung Fulcrum mig29 sa Pinas. This was after the "perestroika"/glasnost revolution in Russia nung panahon ni Gorbachev. obviously, di rin natuloy

IMHO, we need a decent jet fighter force. kahit isang squadron man lang. lalo na't meron tayong border dispute sa spratlys. wala man lang tayong border patrol makapag fly-by patrol dun sa areas na yun. Considering na ang laki ng archipelago natin, we need a decent air force that could at least conduct quick patrol runs.

4. FrankDrebin Guest
    I suggest a VF-1J multi-purpose figther jet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VF-1_Valkyrie

;)

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    imo, we need a navy first before an air force.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    I suggest a VF-1J multi-purpose fihgter jet.
    best post i've read in this thread today ;)

but while we're at it, why don't we develop our homegrown musical and singing talent (sarah geronimo anyone? hahahahahahaha) after all, a song is all it takes to demolish an entire space battle fleet...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rsnald
    ang isa pang nabalitaan ko sa news, inoffer daw ng Russia yung Fulcrum mig29 sa Pinas. This was after the "perestroika"/glasnost revolution in Russia nung panahon ni Gorbachev. obviously, di rin natuloy
    I remember that ... balita pa nuon ang deal hindi kailangan ng dollar, kasi barter siya. MIGs for Philippine goods.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankDrebin
    I suggest a VF-1J multi-purpose figther jet.

;)
    I miss that, Frank, hehehe.

MBT, may Navy naman tayo ... here's the BRP Kawawa:

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually (bwisit... Late na ako sa argument na ito!) what we DO need, we already have.

The F5 is the most cost-effective modern jet fighter. They use them in Top Gun because they're highly maneuverable and are some of the best dogfighting aircraft still flying. Northrop makes some excellent aircraft, but they have been unfairly beaten at competitions for USAF contracts for two of their recent developments, the F20 Tigershark and the F23 fighter (Lockheed won with the F22).

We could use the F18 if the NS Navy decommissioned some. Good reliability, terrific dogfighting AND bomb-carrying capabilities, and it can dogfight successfully on a full ordnance load (two F18 pilots gunned down Iraqi fighters while carrying over 2000 lbs of bombs, and STILL had enough fuel to complete their bombing run). The F20 would be even better. In the time it takes an F16 to warm up and taxi for takeoff, the F20 would already be at 12-20,000 feet, at fighting altitude.

MiGs would be a good, cheap alternative, but you'll get what you pay for. Cheap planes. F5s really are the best compromise, and there's a reason so many Air Forces are still using them.

But in terms of what we REALLY need in the Airforce... we should get some piston powered fighter/bombers with good low-speed cruising abilities (better for ground support)... or Burt Rutan's Mudfighter, if he ever pushes through with it... $1million dollars for a subsonic jetfighter with low maintenance costs and rugged design... too bad he never sold it...
    Last edited by niky; October 3rd, 2005 at 04:25 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. FrankDrebin Guest
    A serious post this time. hehehe.

About the armed forces modernization IMO, I think we need smaller missile-equipped frigates and more high-speed gun boats. Supported by a e-2/c-2 Hawk-eye aircraft. Heavy-armored Attack choppers like Apache and lotsa support choppers like the Blackhawks, Chinooks, etc. A squadron of "entry-level" jets for patrol and recon. Modern arms/ammo/armor for the infantry. Light-armored Simba tanks look like they are doing a great job in a tropical environment. Modern radar towers. Lastly, nice salaries and benefits for our officers, soldiers and men,

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Military Hardware Thread [Split]