New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    We have 4 XP Pro machines in our small office. The network is connected up to an ADSL modem/router and IPs are assigned via DHCP. My boss bought a new laptop running on Vista home premium and he wants to connect it to our network to access the net.

The problem is we cannot access the net through his vista laptop.. Same naman work group name, enable file sharing, automatic detection...

The workgroup is set up and all file/print sharing is enabled. Can anyone help with establishing network and internet connectivity between the Vista Laptop and the XP machines already established on the network?

Im new po with vista and online topics na nababasa me dont help much... Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Just wondering..... How are the pc's connected? Is each XP pc physically hooked up to the router which goes to the Vista laptop with the modem or are all the pc's hooked up separately to the router with the modem.

In short, which one is the gateway, the Vista laptop or the router? Which one is the modem hooked up to?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    yung router po sir ang gateway...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by teratoma View Post
    yung router po sir ang gateway...
    Gateway = Router

That means each pc should be able to independently access the internet.

Accessing each other folders/files is more problematic. First, you need to have shared folders on the XP side. They should be shared and changeable. Me, I just keep one folder shareable (my downloads folder). Of course, all the pc's should have the same workgroup name.

The Vista side is a bit trickier. In the Network And Sharing Center, under Sharing And Discovery, I have the bottom 3 turned off: Printer, Password protect, and Media. The top 3 are on.

Then, I right-clicked the folder I wanted shared and pick Properties. Click the Advanced Sharing button, check Share This Folder, type a Share name in the block. Click the Permissions button, Highlight Everyone, and then check Change and Read. Administrators should have all 3 checked.

It should work.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Let me retry the Vista side.
    Same thing with the Network And Sharing Center.

Right-click folder you wish to share
    On the block with nothing showing, click the Down Arrow
    Guest or Everyone (I prefer Guest)
    Add
    Share.

That should be it. It's working fine on both XP and Vista on my side.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Let me retry the Vista side.
    Same thing with the Network And Sharing Center.

Right-click folder you wish to share
    On the block with nothing showing, click the Down Arrow
    Guest or Everyone (I prefer Guest)
    Add
    Share.

That should be it. It's working fine on both XP and Vista on my side.
    We are a respected IT (data networking) company here in KSA, iyong kumpanya namin ang nag upgrade ng data network ng aramco kingdom wide noong 2000, pero our engineers encoutered this vista compatibility with xp network. suko mga engineers namin. in the end, bawal bumili ng pc na vista ang OS rito sa aming kumpanya..

kakaiba! just sharing.. kung ma reresolve rito ang problema, i share ko sa mga engineers namin.. bida pa ako... hehehehehehe.. watch mode si ako.. ..

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zachary matthew View Post
    mp

We are a respected IT (data networking) company here in KSA, iyong kumpanya namin ang nag upgrade ng data network ng aramco kingdom wide noong 2000, pero our engineers encoutered this vista compatibility with xp network. suko mga engineers namin. in the end, bawal bumili ng pc na vista ang OS rito sa aming kumpanya..

kakaiba! just sharing.. kung ma reresolve rito ang problema, i share ko sa mga engineers namin.. bida pa ako... hehehehehehe.. watch mode si ako.. ..
    We don't have any plans either to field Vista anytime soon at the corporate level. Maybe in 3-4 years. But, not now. We're barely 3 years into XP so far and that came out in 2001.

But, the thread starter referred to a simple home network consisting nothing more than a router, dsl modem, and a Workgroup with XP and Vista computers. It's quite far from and much simpler than a domain-based network like those in most companies. In this case, the mix seems to work although some options in Vista have to be turned off and on before it'll work.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; March 29th, 2008 at 11:01 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    First diagnostic tool to use in network troubleshooting -> ping!

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by teratoma View Post
    We have 4 XP Pro machines in our small office. The network is connected up to an ADSL modem/router and IPs are assigned via DHCP. My boss bought a new laptop running on Vista home premium and he wants to connect it to our network to access the net.

The problem is we cannot access the net through his vista laptop.. Same naman work group name, enable file sharing, automatic detection...

The workgroup is set up and all file/print sharing is enabled. Can anyone help with establishing network and internet connectivity between the Vista Laptop and the XP machines already established on the network?
    I'm also assuming each pc is connected directly to the router. So, if you have a typical home-use router, all 4 ports plus the WAN port are filled........

I'm just making sure this is the case and it's not some Cisco industrial-strength router (I haven't worked with those in a while*).

*Actually I still do, but from more of a customer rather than a troubleshooter perspective.

First diagnostic tool to use in network troubleshooting -> ping!
    That's half of it. Actually, there's no need for ping because both Vista and XP can see each other's shared folders. They just couldn't access. So, it had to be a permissions thing.

Both my Vista laptop and XP desktop can see and make changes to each other's shared folders even through the software firewalls of each machine. But, I still turn off sharing when anyone is surfing the web. I turn it back on after powering down the cable modem.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; March 30th, 2008 at 05:47 AM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I'm also assuming each pc is connected directly to the router. So, if you have a typical home-use router, all 4 ports plus the WAN port are filled........

I'm just making sure this is the case and it's not some Cisco industrial-strength router (I haven't worked with those in a while*).

*Actually I still do, but from more of a customer rather than a troubleshooter perspective.

That's half of it. Actually, there's no need for ping because both Vista and XP can see each other's shared folders. They just couldn't access. So, it had to be a permissions thing.

Both my Vista laptop and XP desktop can see and make changes to each other's shared folders even through the software firewalls of each machine. But, I still turn off sharing when anyone is surfing the web. I turn it back on after powering down the cable modem.
    Network guru.

Anyway, to the TS, try what pekto said. If all else fails, check these things first.

*Vista has a lot of bugs in it so sometimes the main source of connection it would pick is the wireless. disable or turn off the wifi capabilty of the laptop.

*Check if the Vista laptop is getting an IP address from router. Since you've said that there are 4 computer in the network, the network is set up this way. Modem>Router>Switch/hub>PC's. Unless of course you're using industrial grade router as what pekto said.

*If you are using a switch, try other ports or better yet, directly connecting the Vista PC to the router and see if it gets an IP address.

Just post any observations that you've done and the settings you've changed. Let us know what happens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
VISTA Problem with existing XP network