New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^^ napa-isip lang ako about Jun's stated scenario that all 4 computers are connected directly to the router, if this is the case, then am I right to assume:

that the DHCP server the T.S. is referring to is the DHCP server of the ISP?
    assuming the DHCP server is that of the ISP, it's possible that the ISP needs the MAC address of the laptop with the Vista OS para ipasok sa DHCP configuration file nila (some DHCP servers are configured this way)

hmmm..... tama ba?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by artpogi View Post
    ^^ napa-isip lang ako about Jun's stated scenario that all 4 computers are connected directly to the router, if this is the case, then am I right to assume:

that the DHCP server the T.S. is referring to is the DHCP server of the ISP?
    assuming the DHCP server is that of the ISP, it's possible that the ISP needs the MAC address of the laptop with the Vista OS para ipasok sa DHCP configuration file nila (some DHCP servers are configured this way)

hmmm..... tama ba?
    It is possible pero feeling ko router yung gusto nyang sabihin. Also, MAC filtering is usally for cable connections and not DSL.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    For argument's sake, assuming that the ISP requires the MAC address of the DTE, it would be getting the MAC address of the router, and not of the individual computers. Routers are capable of issuing IP addresses to its attached devices.

MAC filtering i think is not limited to cable, although im not sure with DSL, but smart bro uses mac filtering.
    Last edited by laklak; March 31st, 2008 at 08:05 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by laklak View Post
    For argument's sake, assuming that the ISP requires the MAC address of the DTE, it would be getting the MAC address of the router, and not of the individual computers. Routers are capable of issuing IP addresses to its attached devices.

MAC filtering i think is not limited to cable, although im not sure with DSL, but smart bro uses mac filtering.
    I agree. It's the MAC address of the router the ISP sees.

I have to wonder if the MAC address is even being used, at least in my case. Every networking hardware has a MAC address. My router has one. My gaming pc has dual gigabit ethernet built in (nVidia and Marvell). Each should have a separate MAC address.

Yet, I can take off the router and connect the pc directly (via crossover) to the cable modem using either gigabit ethernet port and surf just fine. My ISP is Cox Cable.

Add: Unless the ISP is using the cable modem's....

Anyway, I wonder how the Thread Starter's doing? Yow teratoma, you still there? Just doing a progress check.

Yeah, I know. This kind of stuff is really boring when put to words..... It's much easier when there's hardware to work with.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; April 1st, 2008 at 06:42 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Never mind about the MAC address. Googling around told me routers can clone the MAC address of the pc ethernet card. It still doesn't answer why I can use either ethernet device for internet. But, I think it's becoming more OT from the original thread.....

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by teratoma View Post
    We have 4 XP Pro machines in our small office. The network is connected up to an ADSL modem/router and IPs are assigned via DHCP. My boss bought a new laptop running on Vista home premium and he wants to connect it to our network to access the net.

The problem is we cannot access the net through his vista laptop.. Same naman work group name, enable file sharing, automatic detection...

The workgroup is set up and all file/print sharing is enabled. Can anyone help with establishing network and internet connectivity between the Vista Laptop and the XP machines already established on the network?

Im new po with vista and online topics na nababasa me dont help much... Thanks.
    Havent read anyone suggesting to perform ipconfig /all.

So kapatid, let start off with "ipconfig /all" to ensure that there is indeed a valid dynamic IP address.

I encountered that same problem last year while testing the Vista Enterprise. Im not too sure if Home Premium is capable of IPV6. The problem I had was that the DHCP server sees the computer's MAC (physical address, so not to confuse with OS) as its IP address. What I did was disable IPV6, release and renew, and it worked after that.

HTH

AFAIK, DHCP server is also the ADSL router/gateway and uses NAT. Having said that, the ISP is not the DHCP server for the client machines (4 machines?!). Also, where I come from, ISP assigns one public IP address to your ADSL router/gateway and then ADSL router/gateway utilizes NAT and distributes the private IP address which is typically the 192.168.x.x IP address range.

And YES, XP and VISTA can see each other on our enterprise network.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    just last night, I plugged-in a HP Pavillion notebook with a Vista Home Ed. on our network, no problems at all

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Really simple...

1) Turn off Windows Firewall in all PC with XP & Vista... No need to worry as your router acts as your Hardware Firewall. Turn off also or uniinstall other software firewalls.

2) Run Network Setup Wizard Again for XP, As for Vista, make sure its running in a private network OR setup the your file sharing, workgroup, computer name in the Network Center.

3) Turn off all PCs... Unahin yung mga XPs, log-on, check Network Places. Turn on Vista PC and check network icon... dapat lalabas na sila lahat jan... pag hindi lumabas, it could be hardware problem such as faulty cables, wrong router setup, interference sa wireless.. Check also IP addresses as there should only be 1 gateway 192.168.1.1 or 0.1 and all PCs should have that IP address range also 192.168.1.xxx. if IP starts at 169, then it could be a faulty Network Card or Driver.

4) Assuming ok na lahat, turn on windows firewall, if suddenly one PC is not accessible, it means faulty ang setup ng firewall so go the exceptions list to tweak that.

5) Turn on your Antivirus/Other Firewall Software, if thats the culprit, put your network addresses to the Trusted Sites Option of your Firewall.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Mga sirs thnk you po sa mga inputs nyo! Dmi ko natutunan! Ok na po un laptap ni bossing! di ko na alam kung ano binago ko basta gumana na lang nung sinundan ko inputs nyo!

thnk you po uli!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
VISTA Problem with existing XP network