New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 35 of 96 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kisshmet View Post
    It's a gaming mobo so I suppose the VRM thermals are good but then again reviews on YouTube show otherwise MSI bazooka turned out to be better than gigabyte AORUS with B550 chipset..monitor also your VRM temperatures..it takes 4 to tango in terms of overclocking a PC Power supply, VRM, CPU and the cooler
    This is where I'm coming from... my CPU, being a paltry 6c/12t 3600, I don't think it's pushing the VRMs all that hard. In one review I saw that this board can drive a 12c/24t 3900x to 4.4GHz on all cores.

As I posted earlier, I think I'm hitting my cooler's thermal ceiling. I'm currently at 1.28V or 1.29V for Vcore, which is the lowest voltage I can go for stability * 4.17GHz. I can probably make it go 4.2-4.25GHz if I had a better cooler.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    ^Yes, it's most likely the cooler or the thermal paste you used

Ryzen5 3600 came with the stealth and you already replaced it so the replacement cooler is still not cooling the CPU..does the replacement cooler have a copper base?

The max clock for that processor is 4.2GHz so your cooler is 0.03GHz short

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    Last edited by kisshmet; August 18th, 2020 at 02:41 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kisshmet View Post
    ^Yes, it's most likely the cooler or the thermal paste you used

Ryzen5 3600 came with the stealth and you already replaced it so the replacement cooler is still not cooling the CPU..does the replacement cooler have a copper base?

The max clock for that processor is 4.2GHz so your cooler is 0.03GHz short

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    I think you have some misconceptions about boost frequencies...

In stock configuration, 4.2GHz is the factory single-core boost frequency for the 3600. It's meant to boost performance for bursty single-threaded workloads. Afterwhich, it typically idles at 3.6GHz base frequency.

On my rig, I was able to OC it to a fixed 4.17GHz on ALL six cores, simultaneously. That frequency is fixed whether it's running idle or full load. You won't be able to achieve anywhere near that with the stock cooler.

Anyway, partly the reason I switched to an aftermarket cooler was to be able to use a 120mm fan to keep the noise down. The added thermal headroom was just a bonus as I never really considered OC'ing. The stock coolers are notoriously noisy and are only thermally-effective when running stock.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Anyone using a Ryzen 5 3600? How much of an overclock were you able to squeeze out of it?

I was only able to get it stable at 41.75x on the multiplier (from stock of 36x) * 1.28V. In the real world, it's doing 4.17 GHz on all cores. It's stable on Prime95, Blender, OCCT, and FAH. Cooler is a DeepCool GAMMAXX 400 V2.

I know I can push this further but I think the cooler is the limiting factor. As it is, my thermals are already peaking in the low-mid-80's out of the 3600's max temp of 95°C. That said, I'm sure it would've ended up with much worse performance if I used the stock Wraith Stealth cooler. Maybe I'll switch to a Noctua NH-D15 or U12S or even the venerable U12A. That would tide me over until I've saved enough gas money for a 3950X.

Call me old-fashioned but I still have a disdain for AIO coolers... it's got one too many moving parts that can fail. High-gain, high-risk. Give me a massive CPU air cooler anytime.
    whats the cpu production date? 2020 or 2019? the newer batch have better silicon quality.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Stock AMD cooler won't be able to cool an overclocked 3600 properly. All cores 4.2GHz ba target? Hirap niyan. Hehe.

I just set my VCore on auto and Dynamic VCore sa Gigabyte B450i board ko to its lowest and just set XMP profile for added performance. Ok na ko sa boost when gaming kahit upto 4.075GHz lang. 3600 cooled by Cryorig M9A. Mura lang although I'm thinking if may improvement if Noctua U9S (cooler height limitation due to my ITX case). These days nasa 45C ang idle and around 75 when gaming. Lower if masmaraming ventilation ang case which mine doesn't.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    whats the cpu production date? 2020 or 2019? the newer batch have better silicon quality.
    Not sure how to extract the datecode. If it's etched on the CPU, no chance reading from it now.

The rig is barely a week old and I bought the CPU boxed and brand new. At the rate these procs are selling and especially the extraordinary demand for computers right now, I seriously doubt there'd still be 2019 editions in circulation. I could be wrong, of course.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by marky2115 View Post
    Stock AMD cooler won't be able to cool an overclocked 3600 properly. All cores 4.2GHz ba target? Hirap niyan. Hehe.

I just set my VCore on auto and Dynamic VCore sa Gigabyte B450i board ko to its lowest and just set XMP profile for added performance. Ok na ko sa boost when gaming kahit upto 4.075GHz lang. 3600 cooled by Cryorig M9A. Mura lang although I'm thinking if may improvement if Noctua U9S (cooler height limitation due to my ITX case). These days nasa 45C ang idle and around 75 when gaming. Lower if masmaraming ventilation ang case which mine doesn't.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Same tayo, when I had it on stock setup.

You're right... medyo elusive yung 4.2GHz all-cores. As you force the cores past 4.1GHz, I think, diminishing returns na.

So I guess I should be satisfied with how fast my 3600 could go. As they say, CPU is like lottery.... swertehan lang na madampot mo medyo mataas ang binning.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Not sure how to extract the datecode. If it's etched on the CPU, no chance reading from it now.

The rig is barely a week old and I bought the CPU boxed and brand new. At the rate these procs are selling and especially the extraordinary demand for computers right now, I seriously doubt there'd still be 2019 editions in circulation. I could be wrong, of course.
    its on the box normally. very good motherboard you got for the zen3 :D

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    its on the box normally. very good motherboard you got for the zen3 :D
    I can't see dates anywhere on the box. I read that 1st Gen Ryzen has their datecode as part of the S/N. The 3600 (3rd Gen) seems to use a different S/N format.

I was originally looking to get an X570 board but settled on the B550 instead. Three things why:

1. The X570's PCH chip is actively-cooled... another part that can potentially break.
    2. One reason for the premium price is because of PCIe Gen 4.0 on ALL slots, which I won't need... not yet anyway
    3. For about the same price as an X570, you get a higher-end B550 with better VRMs and a little more bells and whistles

The B550 supports Gen 4.0 on both the primary PCIe x16 and NVMe slots. This is the best AM4 motherboard for now, both in value and in future-proofing.

There I go.... down the rabbit hole.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    I kept my ryzen 3900 on an X570 Auros MB stock.

GPU is always my limitation. Using a GTX 2080 Super but will upgrade to one of those new GTX 3080 or 3090s when they arrive. Am not a heavy CPU user but cant have enough FPS hehehe.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk