New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 50 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE IDOLIZING MARCOS

Early this month, I asked my fourth year students to create artistic posters of post-war/contemporary Filipinos who they consider as their heroes. This is part of our observance of National History Month last August. Initially, I am pleased with their outputs because most of it are well made and depicts popular personalities today like CNN Hero Efren Penaflorida, former DILG Secretary Jesse Robredo, former Senator Benigno Aquino Jr. and former President Corazon Aquino. Some even fielded lesser known names in the field of social change like Gawad Kalinga’s Tony Meloto, child wonder Kesz Valdez, RockEd founder Gang Badoy, and even rapper Francis Magalona.

However, I was struck speechless by what one student chose as his hero: former President and Dictator Ferdinand E. Marcos.

When asked, the child—a chubby, 16 year old teenager—reasoned that he considers Marcos a hero because there was peace and order, and that people were disciplined and patriotic during his term. I wanted to correct his choice of hero but at the same time I don’t want to dictate or spoon feed him on what should be a hero. Hence, I accepted his work, but I neither gave him a very good score nor did I select his work for the gallery of heroes we organized at the school campus.

more....
    The Social Scientist: THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE IDOLIZING MARCOS
    The Social Scientist: THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE IDOLIZING MARCOS

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Marcos... was a dictator?

It's weird how the new generation seems to revel in their ignorance of history. Or seem to conveniently forget that the Cojuangco connection that gives them leverage to demonize the Aquinos also applies to Marcos, as Danding was one of his biggest cronies.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    marcos was brilliant. but he used that brilliance to forward his own interests.
    for a time, many thought he was going to turn the country around, because he instilled discipline (fear?).. until...
    ah well, it's good he ain't here anymore.. otherwise we might not be enjoying this forum..

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Sooner or later, even the presidency of Pandak will be remembered as the "good ole days". Even the Japanese are believed to be the "good guys", forgetting the attrocities they did during WW2. Marcos was the only presidency that brought the economy to bankruptcy. The Philippines had to borrow from the WB and IMF during his term...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Antayin natin si nognog and family. Sigurado mas mamahalin ng tao iyu. Kesa kay makoy, erap at pandak.

Hahahhaha.

Buhay na namna goodvibes sa makati pagnagkataon.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I can say i've lived in the Marcos era from the time he became president in 1965 until he was booted out of Malacanang in 1986. Until this date, he is the most debated president this country ever had not because there are loyalist nor anti but simply because his longest term as being a leader brought some good & bad things during his administration. What ever one would be his verdict to Marcos, the only thing i can say is...brain wise,his the most brilliant president this country has ever had.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by macsd View Post
    I can say i've lived in the Marcos era from the time he became president in 1965 until he was booted out of Malacanang in 1986. Until this date, he is the most debated president this country ever had not because there are loyalist nor anti but simply because his longest term as being a leader brought some good & bad things during his administration. What ever one would be his verdict to Marcos, the only thing i can say is...brain wise,his the most brilliant president this country has ever had.
    We're on the same page sir

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    All humans are dichotomous, character-wise. There are always two sides of it.
    On brilliance of the mind alone, Marcos is magnificent.
    Its another thing on integrity. Perhaps, one of the best ever telling a lie straightforward without beating an eyelash.

As president, he has to be judged on his impact to the vast majority of this countrymen. To me, he is a major failure. The diaspora of Filipinos eager to get out of this forsaken nation of ours and not get back, started during his watch.

The sense of nationhood or the lack of it, is the root cause of our many problems.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    compared to Pnoy.. eh kay FM na ako..

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Marcos and his cronies bankrupted the Philippine Sugar Industry.

The closest encounter I got with a Marcos was last night, when I was in the same table with Bong Bong Marcos at a dinner party. As a martial law baby, I remember how it was growing up in "oppressed" Negros during those years. Fast forward the famous people power revolution, seeing that very same Bong Bong clad in military fatigues and standing by his sickly father.

I wanted to slice thru the jolly banter last night about some things I had in mind, but better judgement prevailed. Maybe next time.

Page 1 of 50 1234511 ... LastLast