New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
    Jeepneys in our country is getting the bashing it deserved.

For 50 years, the basic design has not been improved upon except for the borloloys.

The riding public deserved more.

That's the situation there in Manila bro, your design still took the design of those old WWII military jeeps and having it repaired over and over again through the years for over 50 years, not here. So let's not generalize, at least there are some who still managed to improve and evolve.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    I agree that MM jeeps are long overdue for a redesign but more than anything, the driving habits of jeepney drivers are more of a safety issue than anything else.

Traffic would be so much lighter if these drivers did half of what they're supposed to. I think we should start setting fixed boarding and drop off points for jeeps. Even if each jeep stop is just 1Km away from the next I'm willing to bet traffic will be so much better. What do you guys think?
    We already practice this one in Iloilo. We have designated terminals for every provincial bound jeepneys and buses, thus not ading congestion to city traffic. Only jeepneys authorised to ply the city are being permitted to enter the City Proper. Although, traffic is still there but improved and not as congested compared to EDSA, even during rush hours.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    i guess ilongos are more innovative and more disciplined. i bet law enforcement is better there also. i've seen jeepneys in bacolod (they said they come from iloilo, too) that have starex head. they look so good compared to jeepneys here in manila.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by borz View Post
    Well, sad as you may say but this goes to all Manilenos I guess. As far as I'm concerned only you're jeepney's plying the streets of Metro Manila were kept unevolved since the dinosaur era. And as unsafe as hell. I'm not that ignorant bro. I know the difference between the quality of your jeepneys there compared to ours. And I can say,they are miles away in comparison. People here don't only manufacture jeepneys for public transport we also have an annual car show where jeepneys are showcased. Let's not generalize.

I didn't say they are a PUJ manufacturer, rather I related thier product being the predecessor design of PUJs.

Try visiting this blog (although this blog was two years ago, and the pictures I have posted in this thread are only recent, just see the difference) http://iloveiloilo.com/?p=517 (Note: Im neither the owner of the blog nor part of any jeepney manufacturer). Maybe you will agree with me that what you are talking about purely addresses only you Manilenios. We, on our part have already evolved, even to Foreign markets, and continue to evolve.
    That's the situation there in Manila bro, your design still took the design of those old WWII military jeeps and having it repaired over and over again through the years for over 50 years, not here. So let's not generalize, at least there are some who still managed to improve and evolve.
    Quote Originally Posted by toyboxph View Post
    i guess ilongos are more innovative and more disciplined. i bet law enforcement is better there also. i've seen jeepneys in bacolod (they said they come from iloilo, too) that have starex head. they look so good compared to jeepneys here in manila.
    Again, well said.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    ....As far as I'm concerned only you're jeepney's plying the streets of Metro Manila were kept unevolved since the dinosaur era. And as unsafe as hell..... Maybe you will agree with me that what you are talking about purely addresses only you Manilenios. We, on our part have already evolved, even to Foreign markets, and continue to evolve.

Isuzu crosswind and pick up clones...

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    I just wish they could make something else more useful like a comfortable PUJ (which is non-existent). What's the point of riding vehicles, right? Aren't vehicles supposed to be more comfortable than walking or something? PUJ makers should put more effort into designing vehicles that are actually capable of human conveyance. Not just some appliance where even the driver takes his work as a chore everyday and passengers use it just because they have no choice. I wish PUJs were more comfortable and safe for both the driver and passengers. Really, who likes riding on bench seats for crying out loud? Or getting in through the PUJ's butt while crouching to avoid hitting one's head on the roof? These things deserve a second look.

Imagine Manila. Why do people ride the trains? Because traffic below the rails is just pure chaos, and riding PUJs just makes the chaos even more unbearable. Don't get me wrong, I ride PUJs from the Manila City Hall to Caloocan City sometimes, and I can only tell you guys that it isn't a pleasant experience. Oh well, maybe it can be if the PUJs were full of chicks. But hey, reality. So my buddies only ride PUJs when we're too lazy to climb up the LRT or something like that (like chicks). It's simply impractical (even stupid) not to ride the LRT and take a PUJ instead.

So now it comes down to the PUJs design flaws. Can we address these flaws? Certainly. How? Why not switch to making buses or trams for public transport? 'Coz in the end, it'll be the engineers and mechanics who make jeepneys that'll also build better and more practical means of transportation. And let's face it, they're a helluva lot more comfy than PUJs. Okay, there are issues of profitability and such when it comes to a "total revision" of the old PUJ. Those are political and social issues. But engineering-wise, a redesign of the PUJ isn't a crazy idea at all. It can even be a design for the win.

I'm being idealistic, and all of this is just a prescription. Although it doesn't mean that it'll be for real, at least people here at Tsikot are presented alternatives. Because in today's world, we can't afford not to have a plan B.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdm View Post

Isuzu crosswind and pick up clones...
    And Not just an ordinary front-cut but carefully handcrafted.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto_minosa View Post
    But engineering-wise, a redesign of the PUJ isn't a crazy idea at all. It can even be a design for the win.
    “That is all very well, but who is to bell the Cat?”
    from Aesop's fable The Mice in Council

Who will redesign the jeepney? A totally new design, from the ground up. Starting from the interior layout, using ergonomic principles, to the propulsion system. And just changing the front end to look modern does not count.
    Last edited by donbuggy; July 14th, 2009 at 01:37 AM.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I guess it's not all about the ordinary front end design. Just take a peek.
    Courtesy of skyscraper.com
    http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...482649&page=22

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    ^^ From that link..........

Ayos! Ha-ha! Nguso ng Civic. Pero di ata ayos......parang sa patay.

Hanep! Fortuner!

Mas magaganda ang mga ito, kaysa yung bumibiyahe sa Manila. Karag-karag!

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
The Philippine Jeepney...