New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i read somewhere, that we can overinflate it by 10% over the recommended psi, as long as we do not go over the tire's maximum psi.
    i have been doing it for many years now, and the tires do not seem to complain by showing abnormal tire wear pattern.
    n.b. my tires are factory spec.

Nabasa ko lang sa internet na during hot summer, halos nag-aadd ng +2 psi sa gulong mo ang hot temperature lalo na kapag nasa expressway ka. Kapag nagpapahinga na ang sasakyan mo e mawawala na yung +2 psi sa gulong. Do you think this is true?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    As the molecules heat and move faster, they are moving apart. So air, like most other substances, expands when heated and contracts when cooled. Because there is more space between the molecules, the air is less dense than the surrounding matter and the hot air floats upward.

Quote Originally Posted by Athrunzala View Post
    Nabasa ko lang sa internet na during hot summer, halos nag-aadd ng +2 psi sa gulong mo ang hot temperature lalo na kapag nasa expressway ka. Kapag nagpapahinga na ang sasakyan mo e mawawala na yung +2 psi sa gulong. Do you think this is true?

3. Join Date
    May 2017
    Thank for the explanation bro!

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    sounds logical.
    but i do not go thru the ritual.
    i just put in, the door pillar spec + 5 to 10%.
    over the many years, i have not noticed any negative effects thereof.

5. Join Date
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    sounds logical.
    but i do not go thru the ritual.
    i just put in, the door pillar spec + 5 to 10%.
    over the many years, i have not noticed any negative effects thereof.

I'm also leaning in this view, the maximum psi is already written on the tire codes at the side of the tire. I also have not seen any of our tires having a wornout tire-thread at the middle part of the tire which is an indicator of overinflation.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Mukang may umabsent sa HS chem class? That is basic gas law. Guy Lussac Law. Pressure increases as temperature increase assuming same volume (tires can expand but only up to a certain point).

If you have TPMS, you would havfe observed that already. With ordinary air, I observe as much as 5psi increase from my garage to SLEX running at speed limit. With nitrogen, the increase is only around 2psi.

7. Join Date
    May 2014
    Totoo ba ito? Or baka sa wear and tear lang naman as time goes on kaya nasisira stablizer link.
    Kahit naman siguro underinflated nasisira din stablizer link...
    pagover inflated ang tires suspension masira. pag under naman, mas malaki possibility yun sidewall ng tires.
    btw ginagawa ko pag nag inflate ng gulong, as much as possible gabi or maagang maaga; or pag mainit talaga panahon, gas out ko muna tires ko for 30 seconds, bago ko karagahan ng hangin. so far effective itong style ko and napansin ko mas consistent ang psi ng 4 tires.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by _Qwerty_ View Post
    As the molecules heat and move faster, they are moving apart. So air, like most other substances, expands when heated and contracts when cooled. Because there is more space between the molecules, the air is less dense than the surrounding matter and the hot air floats upward.
    Also, wheels are hot during use due to friction + road surface temperature. Pag napahinga na, bababa talaga pressure.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew_Alcindor View Post
    Mukang may umabsent sa HS chem class? That is basic gas law. Guy Lussac Law. Pressure increases as temperature increase assuming same volume (tires can expand but only up to a certain point).

If you have TPMS, you would havfe observed that already. With ordinary air, I observe as much as 5psi increase from my garage to SLEX running at speed limit. With nitrogen, the increase is only around 2psi.
    it takes extra effort to keep looking awake during the 1 pm chemistry lecture.

car manufacturers and tire manufacturers already put into the equation, the expected air expansion when the tire heats up with use, and air contraction during the cool-down period. we but have to follow the prescribed psi.
    Last edited by dr. d; March 10th, 2020 at 10:51 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    ^ I agree on this.

The recommended pressure on the door jamb already takes into consideration that the mass of car owners will just be using regular air to pressurize their tires. That also means that air expansion has also been factored in. If this is not the case, you would be seeing an alarming cases of tires exploding on the road.

Contrary to popular belief, tires are less likely to explode when slightly over-inflated. A tire's structural integrity relies on the air pressure inside it. Under-inflated tires will cause excessive flexing and stress that will eventually lead to overheating. In which case, this will cause the tire to disintegrate while in operation... sometimes catastrophically.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast