New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    When is the right time to buy a 'toy car' (i.e. totally impractical, fun and fast machine ). Im sure many of you will have your opinions on this. I am employed and have three young kids

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by EQAddict; March 31st, 2013 at 05:29 PM.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Summer.

Having a dry weather allows you to take out your car, which is most likely not flood worthy, and just enjoy the heck out of it. Probably even take your kids with you as well as you do exciting stuff such as track days and what not.

Then come rainy season, it's the perfect time to put your car in storage and do mods under a roof. You cant have fun if the roads are always wet.

Sent from my 3210 using Tapatalk HD Premium

3. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Thanks renzo.

Though what i actually meant was what milestones should be met before buying a toy car (i.e. own own home, own a vacation home, etc.) . Splurging on a toy car is admittedly self serving hehe but sometimes i just want to forget practicality and utility for a bit. I Wish I had the deep pockets to not have to think about buying one hehe.

4. Join Date
    May 2012
    maybe when you're retired, finished putting your kids through college and got a little bit of savings and earning pension.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    But if im that old i wont be able to enjoy it hehe lol.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Whenever you have the "spare" money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    May 2012
    yun lang. hehehe... maybe if you wanted to start when you're young, you might want to begin small.
    like purchasing a running condition childhood dream car project (like if you're very fond of a small body corolla or a boxtype lancer) then you would make improvements like paint the body, upgrade the engine, put a new set of rims, etc... as funds allow. may pang coding car ka pa.
    or if you like to drive hard, you might want putting a 4AGE engine on an owner type chassis or something.

personally, i'd like to combine utility and form. when i got a new ride. i still held on to my first ride which was suzuki multicab dropside pickup, slapped on offset mini lite mags, put on mp3 player, ipod ready ampli and targa speakers, dropped the fiberglass canopy and put on a bright red cargo net para resing resing ang hitsura which i still use for occasional deliveries, lipat bahay and even parade float sideline jobs. next project for it is a military truck conversion (removable canvass bonnet with folding wooden benches), put in cosmetic snorkel and muffler when funds allow. fortunately for me, i'm not the speed demon type kaya top speed nya remains at 60 kph.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Sinasabihan ko na nga erpat ko bumili ng ishports car niya eh, sabi ko kahit toyota 86 lang. Para mahiram ko din. Hahaha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    Thanks renzo.

Though what i actually meant was what milestones should be met before buying a toy car (i.e. own own home, own a vacation home, etc.) . Splurging on a toy car is admittedly self serving hehe but sometimes i just want to forget practicality and utility for a bit. I Wish I had the deep pockets to not have to think about buying one hehe.

Oh, misunderstood it, sorry.

What people should know before even considering buying a toy car is that toy cars are moving money pits -- if you're unfortunate, they wont move at all. Thus, I think the only time it is safe to get one is when you have enough cash that when spent all on the car, wouldn't really affect your daily lifestyle. Which means, you can still go out on an out of town trip with your family, get dinner outside, see movies and still have money in spare in case for emergencies. The money which was spent on the car should be actually nothing but a spare. This is what I tell other people as well when it comes to their "wants", you can get what you want, whenever you want it, as long as it wouldn't affect your everyday living.

Moreover I don't think there's a certain age wherein a person is deem fit to buy a toy car. The moment that there is enough spare cash to burn, and the moment that the itch appears, it's best to scratch the itch immediately and never regret anything. Because after all, you bought a toy car as a "source of happiness" .. it's not supposed to be reliable nor practical. It's supposed to be fun, and as long as it stays fun, "I regret buying this" is a phrase that should never be heard from you.

Upon seeing your cars, EQ, I don't see the reason why you can't buy a toy car. You can always sell one car to "make space" for another. Fathers should have their own source of happiness too outside their family, yknow. ;)

10. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post

Fathers should have their own source of happiness too outside their family, yknow. ;)
    Thats the best quote ever hehehe !!!!

The rest of your post is spot on! Guess its always a balancing act between needs and wants.... Fun and practicality.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
When is the right time to buy a 'toy car' ?