New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 45 of 145 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I started my career in IT by joining a firm known to hire mostly grads from UP, ADMU, and DLSU. It's true that when hiring fresh grads, they have an advantage over less known universities, even more for grads from the province. When actual work starts and the playing field evens out at the office, school is not a big factor anymore.

However, when I am hiring experienced resources, their college is not a major consideration for me. I look more for skill, attitude, and maturity.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    Honestly I do not understand people who get so defensive about schools or their alma mater. School ko sterotyped as school ng mga kulang sa talino at maaarte but I don't care.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    My wife is grad of St. Scholastica and she feels that she is being discriminated by some big companies due to her school credentials. One time, she and another less skilled/less experienced colleague but with ADMU credentials applied for the same post at a big company. She was informed that she didn't fit the role but her colleague was invited for an interview.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    If you have 1 position to fill, 100 applicants to shortlist and little time to breathe, people may filter by school. Just saying..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    My wife is grad of St. Scholastica and she feels that she is being discriminated by some big companies due to her school credentials. One time, she and another less skilled/less experienced colleague but with ADMU credentials applied for the same post at a big company. She was informed that she didn't fit the role but her colleague was invited for an interview.
    St Scho Manila from GS to College? That's just how it is with a lot of companies, may hierarchy sa schools. They even go as much as looking at the HS. Kung same credentials lahat sa college, they look at the HS

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fleas2016 View Post
    If you have 1 position to fill, 100 applicants to shortlist and little time to breathe, people may filter by school. Just saying..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    My former manager hired almost exclusively DLSU grads. She got criticized for that by the tsismosas/malisyosas in the office. That's her prerogative. Ako naman, I don't like hiring women (told my boss that and he listened lol)

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    St Scho Manila from GS to College? That's just how it is with a lot of companies, may hierarchy sa schools. They even go as much as looking at the HS. Kung same credentials lahat sa college, they look at the HS

My wife went to St. Scho in college only.

Sad it may be but we Pinoys are sometimes very discriminating towards others. It happens with schools or any other kind of affiliation. Tribes resort to name calling and jeering towards other tribes. Many times I have a few words towards co-workers who look down and use "Bisaya" in a derogatory way.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    My wife went to St. Scho in college only.

Sad it may be but we Pinoys are sometimes very discriminating towards others. It happens with schools or any other kind of affiliation. Tribes resort to name calling and jeering towards other tribes. Many times I have a few words towards co-workers who look down and use "Bisaya" in a derogatory way.
    Re St Scho even with locations there's discrimination kasi kaya I asked if Manila. DLSU main is viewed as better over Cavite or Lipa. Same with ADMU compared to Naga and Davao or UPd compared to Iloilo and Baguio. May na hire kami dati na DLSU Cavite. Sa resume kasi he only indicated DLSU. It was only when HR asked for requirements that they found out na hindi Taft. Our manager felt so deceived but too late to take it back. She said they would not have hired if they knew na hindi Taft

Re bisaya, my unicorn friend's Mom's side is from Visayas. When her paternal lola is mad at her she brings up the bisaya part.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    A lot of companies I know only consider and hire graduates who don't come from the top schools. Reason being they can't provide good enough salary and potential growth that match those graduates' expectations. Kung may makuha man, umaalis rin daw after a year or so, so why bother.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

This might reinforce what dropouts say na hindi talaga importante ang collehe degree. Hehe

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    If one takes IT course now ... by the time you graduate, there might be over production of IT professionals ...

Does school really matter?