New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Speed
    am waiting for the Mac to support cad operations.....

until then, sa windows based laptop muna ako.....
    http://www.apple.com/business/soluti...hitecture.html

2. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman
    which will enable a PC to run Mac OS.
    Extremely unlikely. You'd need to wait for third party drivers to support the multitude of PC peripherals that was never supported by OS X.
    Last edited by OTO; June 24th, 2005 at 02:56 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Karding
    another look at switching to MAC (viewable only on PC)
    http://apple.com/switchthis
    VLC can play XVid/Divx well. The video is little on facts and a lot of whinning. ;)

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by notEworthy27
    thanks sa mga comments and opinions! some cad softwares too. hmm...this is going to be a tough decision. heat problems are resolved with the notebook pad which has a fan for additional cooling. I just forget what they called that.I do work with a Toshiba right now. So I guess I'll have the best of both worlds. As for gaming, well, I've got the desktop PC at home to deal with that along with the 5.1 surround. hehe :D

how do you compare two of a different kind? this is the hardest part of choosing between them.where will there be more value for money?

OTO , my bad, Unix based nga pala. I'll try to get in touch with benedict of HK.

need4speed , c programming lang naman for now.

OT: if only alienware notebooks were sold here in the Philippines....hehe
    There are a number of CAD apps on OS X. I think the current Powerbooks have resolved the heat issue. iBooks never had thermal issues.

I find my life a lot simpler having Macs. Having a PC in the house made me feel like I was tech support & computer technician. "Bakit ang bagal ang PC ko". "Bakit nagka-virus ang file ko". "Bakit nakainstall itong gator na ito". "Bakit di na nag-oon ang PC ko". It has allowed me to do what I want without much fuss.

Residual value of a Mac is pretty good. It devalues slowly as compared to a Windows laptop. So if you're planning to sell your Mac a year or two later it would've retained 5-10T more than a comparable Windows laptop. I'm guessing this is because there are few pre-owned units to be had and updates come out every half year or so.
    Last edited by OTO; June 24th, 2005 at 03:18 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi
    ^^Ngayon ko lang nabalitaan yang Missing Sync not working on Tiger. Although ngayon nakatambak na lang yung PPC ko kasi napaltan na ng communicator. Ang pinagtataka ko talaga sa Nokia eh kung baket wala silang Mac support. I mean, it would be good business for them if they would support Mac users. Can't wait for Apple's switch to Intel.

^Ang ganda nga ng Alienware na yan! Naglalaway ako dun sa gaming notebook nila (forgot the model name though). Si kumander nagpapabili sa akin nun haha!
    Missing Sync will have a Tiger version shortly.

Bluetooth devices supported by OS X a number of which are Nokias.
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

I also can't wait til Apple runs on Pentiums. Better performance units per watt than what we have to suffer with right now. But that shouldn't stop you from getting a Mac now. People buy Macs because they need a Mac and not because of the processor it is using.

Alienware is overrated. Sure they have nice cases but it still runs on Windows.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Kung talagang gusto mong bumili ng MAC, next year ka na lang bumili kapag PENTIUM na ang ginagamit nilang microprocessor. Yung mga MAC na tinitinda ngayon eh IBM PowerPC pa ang gamit. Mape-phase-out na yun eh.

Sa palagay ko, mas tested at secured ang Windows compared sa Mac OS. Mukha lang walang problema yang Mac OS dahil hindi yan pinag-i-interesan ng mga hackers. Sa buong mundo, 2% lang ang gumagamit ng MAC. Kung hacker ka, hindi ka gaanong sisikat sa Mac dahil small-time lang ang damage na pwede mong magawa. Hindi tulad sa PC na pwede kang maging notorious sa dami ng gumagamit ng PC.

The more tests you do on a software, the more battle-tested and secured it will become. Marami ring hackers ang gumagawa ng virus sa Windows dahil marami ang galit kay Bill Gates. Sa Mac OS, walang thrill ang paggawa ng virus. Walang masyadong publicity kang makukuha.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Here comes the FUD.

Again whether the processor you are using is from IBM or Intel doesn't matter. Mac Apps will support IBM processors for at least 10 years. Standard upgrade cycle of a Mac user is about 5 years. People buy Macs because they want a Mac and not because of the processor, memory or hard disk drive it uses. Apple has experienced 2 similar transitions in the past few years. They've successfully migrated from the 68K processor to the PowerPC and OS 9 to OS X. It was an orderly and non-traumatic experience for almost all Mac users.

Anyone who has used Windows on the Internet will tell you it is NOT a secure platform by default. OS X might be more secure because it is the minority and isn't minded much by hackers but consider these other reasons. I would think though that OS X would be a favorite target for hackers because Apple and Mac users in general are very arrogant and smug about the superiority of the Mac. If more popular software are normally targeted by hackers then why aren't Apache web servers always crashing and targeted? They're the most popular web server around.

By default OS X is secure, it has an effective firewall, autoupdates are simple, straightforward have yet to be hacked and doesnt use a browser, it has built-in encryption, it has a secure erase delete option, disk images can be encrypted, it is UNIX-based & open source so the code can be audited for security holes and uses international standards of network security. Fortune 500 companies, the US military and scientiest in reputable universities and research facilities use UNIX machines. These people demand a secure and stable setup.

Mac sales may make up 2-5% world-wide but 16% of any personal computer used at any moment is a Mac.

There are a lot more viruses, malware and adware on Windows because all versions of it gives you administrative powers and does little to hamper unauthorized modifcations. It is akin to running "root" on Linux/BSD/OS X. As any Linux/UNIX head will tell you it isnt such a good thing.

Another problem with Windows is that it has over 20 years of legacy code that Microsoft must support. The simple reason Microsoft must support 20 years of legacy code is because they want almost all of past Windows apps from as far as 1985 to work with Windows XP and soon Longhorn. It also supports so much legacy devices from the green screen CRT to the 5.25" floppy disk. Who the heck uses these things anyway? It is comparable to leaving 4 sets of golf clubs & 5 passengers in a sports sedan racing against a stripped down kart around a race track.

Imagine how much lines of code that was lousily written or are a liability to security and stability. If MS were to write an OS from scratch and only supporting newer technologies it would loose their stranglehold on personal computers and remove Windows user dependency. MS has the money and marketing clout to sell a secure and stable OS from scratch but dont expect as much market share as they are enjoying now.

People use Windows because almost everyone else uses it and that is all they know. FUD also helps keep people on Windows.
    Last edited by OTO; June 24th, 2005 at 04:00 PM.

8. FrankDrebin Guest
    Planning to get either an Apple iBookG4 or Toshiba A50 - S135. I'm still quite confused on which to get. Purpose for the laptop: programming, photo editing, video composition; in short power user. I partially inclined to the ibook especially with the wireless features. But then whats holding me back is the availability of programs. Since Apple uses Mac OSx which is linux based, I'm not really sure whether there are freeware programs that are downloadable through the net. I know I know. Maraming pirated. But then I don't plan to install pirated programs in an iBook. So I'm torn between the two. I'd like to know your comments or suggestions on this.
    Since you are gonna use for "heavy" loads go for the Mac!!! BTW, why not get yourself a desktop with a much higher specs since you're gonna do some video editing. Correct me na lang hah, limited or mababa ang specs ng VGA sa notebook.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I agree with OTO. Being a UNIX derivative the OS X is definetly more secure and stable. The selling point of the mac is not the PowerPC. In my POV it's the OS.

They rarely encounter kernel panics (the blue screen of death counterpart of MACS) and when they do have a kernel panic they are surprised. If a windows user encounters the blue screen of death, it so normal and presses cntrl+alt+delete. Another thing MAC OS X rarely have patches or hotfixes this means they plan before hand. Unlike Windows who keep on making security patches when holes are reported.

Imagine not closing your PC for two weeks. I am sure your PC will be bogged down with all the memory leaks. I've seen macs wherein users don't shut down for two weeks, yet performace is not compromised. This is just a testament to the stability of the OS.

With nifty new features like dashboard and the desktop search, I would have gotten an ibook. P52,000 for a sturdy and reliable laptop. For P52,000 I'll end up with an ECS laptop. But I still need windows, so I ended up with Compaq V2000 laptop

10. FrankDrebin Guest
    OT: if only alienware notebooks were sold here in the Philippines....hehe

Meron dito! Around 200K and above. :D

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Choose : Toshiba or Apple?