New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OTO
    Here comes the FUD.

Again whether the processor you are using is from IBM or Intel doesn't matter. Mac Apps will support IBM processors for at least 10 years. Standard upgrade cycle of a Mac user is about 5 years. People buy Macs because they want a Mac and not because of the processor, memory or hard disk drive it uses. Apple has experienced 2 similar transitions in the past few years. They've successfully migrated from the 68K processor to the PowerPC and OS 9 to OS X. It was an orderly and non-traumatic experience for almost all Mac users.

Anyone who has used Windows on the Internet will tell you it is NOT a secure platform by default. OS X might be more secure because it is the minority and isn't minded much by hackers but consider these other reasons. I would think though that OS X would be a favorite target for hackers because Apple and Mac users in general are very arrogant and smug about the superiority of the Mac. If more popular software are normally targeted by hackers then why aren't Apache web servers always crashing and targeted? They're the most popular web server around.

By default OS X is secure, it has an effective firewall, autoupdates are simple, straightforward have yet to be hacked and doesnt use a browser, it has built-in encryption, it has a secure erase delete option, disk images can be encrypted, it is UNIX-based & open source so the code can be audited for security holes and uses international standards of network security. Fortune 500 companies, the US military and scientiest in reputable universities and research facilities use UNIX machines. These people demand a secure and stable setup.

Mac sales may make up 2-5% world-wide but 16% of any personal computer used at any moment is a Mac.

There are a lot more viruses, malware and adware on Windows because all versions of it gives you administrative powers and does little to hamper unauthorized modifcations. It is akin to running "root" on Linux/BSD/OS X. As any Linux/UNIX head will tell you it isnt such a good thing.

Another problem with Windows is that it has over 20 years of legacy code that Microsoft must support. The simple reason Microsoft must support 20 years of legacy code is because they want almost all of past Windows apps from as far as 1985 to work with Windows XP and soon Longhorn. It also supports so much legacy devices from the green screen CRT to the 5.25" floppy disk. Who the heck uses these things anyway? It is comparable to leaving 4 sets of golf clubs & 5 passengers in a sports sedan racing against a stripped down kart around a race track.

Imagine how much lines of code that was lousily written or are a liability to security and stability. If MS were to write an OS from scratch and only supporting newer technologies it would loose their stranglehold on personal computers and remove Windows user dependency. MS has the money and marketing clout to sell a secure and stable OS from scratch but dont expect as much market share as they are enjoying now.

People use Windows because almost everyone else uses it and that is all they know. FUD also helps keep people on Windows.

couldn't have said it better myself...

before judging something, in this case the Mac, try it first before you judge it.
    I used to be one of the people who thought it wasn't all that... till i tried it that is... now i haven't looked back since...

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Toshiba A50. This is what I have.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by EL Chicane
    Kung talagang gusto mong bumili ng MAC, next year ka na lang bumili kapag PENTIUM na ang ginagamit nilang microprocessor. Yung mga MAC na tinitinda ngayon eh IBM PowerPC pa ang gamit. Mape-phase-out na yun eh.

Sa palagay ko, mas tested at secured ang Windows compared sa Mac OS. Mukha lang walang problema yang Mac OS dahil hindi yan pinag-i-interesan ng mga hackers. Sa buong mundo, 2% lang ang gumagamit ng MAC. Kung hacker ka, hindi ka gaanong sisikat sa Mac dahil small-time lang ang damage na pwede mong magawa. Hindi tulad sa PC na pwede kang maging notorious sa dami ng gumagamit ng PC.

The more tests you do on a software, the more battle-tested and secured it will become. Marami ring hackers ang gumagawa ng virus sa Windows dahil marami ang galit kay Bill Gates. Sa Mac OS, walang thrill ang paggawa ng virus. Walang masyadong publicity kang makukuha.
    Actually, if you wanted to, writing a virus for Mac would hit a HUGE installed user base... remember, Macs are running on unix now... if you manage to write a good unix virus, you're going to take a LOT more than piddly home guy on his mac down.

Problem is, unix was designed more than 30 years ago with security being a top issue. Any holes there were were probably fixed a LONG time ago.

People write viruses for windows not because of some misguided sense of ethics or because of the installed user base being larger... they do it because it's so friggin easy, mostly due to the idiotic integration of IE into the Windows.

Cheers.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    You will NOT see cheap PCs running OS X. Apple's been very clear about that. And with the Mac Mini selling at $499, nicely loaded, and the eMac for not much more (with a monitor), the price difference is pretty small already.

Anyway, there will be HUGE road blocks to running OS X on any old box. There will be no pc bios, Mac's sure to have their own custom chips on the board, open firmware, etc. Remember, a CPU is not a motherboard, and you can bet Apple won't use an off-the shelf motherboard. They can't. Standard PC boards won't fit in most Apple products.

On the other hand, Apple has already said they would do nothing to stop windows programs from running on their hardware.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    PAG Laptops, MAC na!

hehe... Once you go Mac, you won't look back. hehe... seriously, I use both pero nothing beats the Mac laptops when it comes to style.... style, style, style. Power is probably not at par with high end wintel laptops pero who cares. you can only use so much anyways.

and for the nth time, most files nowadays care mac and pc compatible so no worries.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OTO
    Missing Sync will have a Tiger version shortly.

Bluetooth devices supported by OS X a number of which are Nokias.
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

I also can't wait til Apple runs on Pentiums. Better performance units per watt than what we have to suffer with right now. But that shouldn't stop you from getting a Mac now. People buy Macs because they need a Mac and not because of the processor it is using.

Alienware is overrated. Sure they have nice cases but it still runs on Windows.
    Next year na lang ako bibili ng Mac; I'm still paying for my laptop. I've been able to use a Mac, and IMHO, in terms of ease of use, it leaves PC's eating its dust. Only reason I got a PC was I needed it more than a Mac. My 2nd computer will definitely be a Mac Pero as early as now though, natetempt na ako bumili ng Mac hehehehe

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    damn, kay OTO, daming alam sa MAC!

Last night ko lang na discover and hotkey to refresh the web browser, Flower+R pala. Before last night, nasanay na ko sa Windows na F5 ang refresh. Sa Mac, volume control ang F5, hahaha.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    To switch between browser windows without using the mouse, press 'command' (apple) and the button below 'esc' (forgot the symbol). To switch between applications without using the mouse, press 'command' and 'tab'. Very useful when the boss is coming and you don't want him to see that you've been logged on to tsikot.com the whole day, instead of doing work, hehehe.

Mas komportable pa rin ako sa OS 9.2 kesa OS X. Wala kasi sa OS X yung mga key shortcuts na gamit ko sa OS 9.2 eh, like when I set F1 to open MS Word, F3 to open iTunes and F12 to open IE.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; June 25th, 2005 at 01:03 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    bogeyman, the ALT+TAB (switch bwosers) from MS ang una kong pinag aralan sa OSX, hahaha.

Command ba tawag dun? Tawag ko dun FLOWER dahil sa Apple Switch Ad Parody.

hotkeys sa Mac is more efficient/faste than using mouse, hehehe.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 66bunny
    Actually, if you wanted to, writing a virus for Mac would hit a HUGE installed user base... remember, Macs are running on unix now... if you manage to write a good unix virus, you're going to take a LOT more than piddly home guy on his mac down.

Problem is, unix was designed more than 30 years ago with security being a top issue. Any holes there were were probably fixed a LONG time ago.

People write viruses for windows not because of some misguided sense of ethics or because of the installed user base being larger... they do it because it's so friggin easy, mostly due to the idiotic integration of IE into the Windows.

Cheers.
    If someone does manage to create a real UNIX/Linux virus it would be a disaster. You see the large portion of UNIX/Linux users dont have a antivirus app running or even installed on their boxes.

As it is UNIX-based OS X is designed for a multiuser environments so there is already a hardwired "permissions" or "authority" scheme assigned to users. This is great especially with the kids who have a tendency to delete delete and delete stuff or install install or install whatever.

Windows NT originated from UNIX but slowly devolved to Windows XP. MS would've own'd the market if they were more technically motivated rather than market motivated.
    Quote Originally Posted by 66bunny
    You will NOT see cheap PCs running OS X. Apple's been very clear about that. And with the Mac Mini selling at $499, nicely loaded, and the eMac for not much more (with a monitor), the price difference is pretty small already.

Anyway, there will be HUGE road blocks to running OS X on any old box. There will be no pc bios, Mac's sure to have their own custom chips on the board, open firmware, etc. Remember, a CPU is not a motherboard, and you can bet Apple won't use an off-the shelf motherboard. They can't. Standard PC boards won't fit in most Apple products.

On the other hand, Apple has already said they would do nothing to stop windows programs from running on their hardware.
    The security scheme used on Macintel's like this. There is a chip that OS Xi (i for intel) looks for and "handshakes" before it boots up. Some hackers or some disreputable hardware maker may be able to hack the "handshake" but knowing Apple they'll seal this hole within a week. Apple has been effective in preventing pirated songs proliferating via their iPods and I bet they will be as effective with Macintels.

The developer Macintel machines can boot into Windows XP.
    http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0506intelmac.html

I'm guessing Apple is allowing this because of their rumored resurrected "Red Book" will be integrated into OS X 10.5.
    Quote Originally Posted by bad driver
    PAG Laptops, MAC na!

hehe... Once you go Mac, you won't look back. hehe... seriously, I use both pero nothing beats the Mac laptops when it comes to style.... style, style, style. Power is probably not at par with high end wintel laptops pero who cares. you can only use so much anyways.

and for the nth time, most files nowadays care mac and pc compatible so no worries.
    Even their desktops are great though for baguhan I'd suggest laptops. I got a PowerMac & iBook and I am extremely happy with my computers even if medyo luma na sila. I expect to keep both of them for at least 5 years.

I may have a limited and slanted view on cars but when it comes to personal computers I know everything I am taking about.

OS X is what Linux has been aspiring to be on the desktop since as early as 1999.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Choose : Toshiba or Apple?