New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Planning to get either an Apple iBookG4 or Toshiba A50 - S135. I'm still quite confused on which to get. Purpose for the laptop: programming, photo editing, video composition; in short power user. I partially inclined to the ibook especially with the wireless features. But then whats holding me back is the availability of programs. Since Apple uses Mac OSx which is linux based, I'm not really sure whether there are freeware programs that are downloadable through the net. I know I know. Maraming pirated. But then I don't plan to install pirated programs in an iBook. So I'm torn between the two. I'd like to know your comments or suggestions on this.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    If you're going to do Windows-specific programing then I'd stick with the Toshi.

If you're into games I'd stick with the Toshi.

If you love Windows User Interface I'd stick with the Toshi.

OS X is UNIX-based not Linux-based or UNIX-like.

Macs in general have come a long way since OS 9 (OS X is said as "OS Ten" X is the roman numeral for 10).

If you're gonna get an iBook G4 drop benedict_bueno*yahoo.com a line. He can hook you up with an iBook G4 for as low as P52,000 w/ a year's worth of international warranty. P52,000 gets you the the current $999 iBook G4 on the Apple Store.

If you have any concerns visit http://www.apple.com/switch/ It has all the info you may need in making the switch or being a dual user.

For freeware Mac apps go to http://www.download.com/2001-2003_4-0.html?tag=dir and http://www.versiontracker.com/macos/

And before anyone tries to use this to dissaude you, Apple is moving to Pentium processors. The transition will start mid-2006 and will end at the end of 2007. The transition will take 1.5 years and Mac apps are expected to have "Universal Binaries" (link goes to Wikipedia to provide a more unbiased & more balanced view on it) that will allow any Mac app to run both on IBM or Intel processors. So all apps within the next decade will probably have "Universal Binaries" (link goes to Apple's Universal Binary Programming Guidelines in .PDF format). As far as Apple is concerned the typical upgrade cycle for a Mac user is about every 5 years. So if the last IBM processor Mac is sold at the end of 2007 (with straggler units still being offered a year or two more) then your purchase on the iBook G4 will not be useless until 2012-2014.

Be aware though that the more memory you have the better your Mac will run. I personally advocate maxing out of memory if budget allows. I think iBook G4s accept 1GB SODIMM memory modules.

Also be aware that Macs are the only personal computer that gets faster after every OS upgrade or update.

My only complaint Apple laptops is the inclusion of a one button trackpad. Dont worry though as OS X supports multibutton pens, mouse & trackballs.

Pressed about security by Mr. Mossberg, Mr. Otellini (Intel's CEO) had a startling confession: He spends an hour a weekend removing spyware from his daughter's computer. And when further pressed about whether a mainstream computer user in search of immediate safety from security woes ought to buy Apple Computer Inc.'s Macintosh instead of a Wintel PC, he said, "If you want to fix it tomorrow, maybe you should buy something else."

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB...ff_main_tff_top
    Last edited by OTO; June 24th, 2005 at 04:04 AM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    i say go for the iBook if you'll be working on photo images.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    iBook or PowerBook

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    imho, mas ok ang software and hardware support ng toshiba.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the only hindrance I see in your requirements is programming. what language?

I've partially switched to Apple for my needs. The only thing I need a PC for is for games and nothing much else (other than it being my main income to pay the bills). Go for an iBook or PBook if you can afford it. Apple support is way better than most PC Laptop manufacturers.

Yes there are a lot of freeware applications readily available online just as someone has already mentioned. What kind of applications do you need that are causing you to think twice? Photo editing and Video Editing is already bundled with any Mac computer - iLife 05 (iPhoto, Garageband, iDVD, iTunes, iMovie). You can get MS Office 2004 for the Mac or use the free alternative like Open Office. If you need a more professional grade photo editor/movie editor then there's Adobe CS2 and Final Cut Pro/Studio/Express in HD (High-Def) too.

Ever since the advent of Mac OS X, I've never heard of a dissatisfied Mac user. As they say, once you go Mac you'll never go back.

On another note, any other Mac users on the board? Any muggers perhaps?

7. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    toshiba definitely.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Oh yeah, I know Benedict personally. Good person to get stuff from. I don't know though if that promo with that price is still available. I used to sell the iBook for about as much as what he's selling for as well. My supplier said the promo has ended. So I don't know if Benedict can still get some at that price today.

By the way Benedict is from HK too...

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I'm a Mac user for the last 7 years. Before that, I was a PC geek for 3 years.

I never looked back.

File sharing is a breeze. High resolution image editing is fast. Just upgrade your RAM to the max as OTO stated. It will help a lot. Software upgrades are usually on the net. It will ask you if you want a new browser updates and all you have to do is click on the button. No additional payments or what. Plus I love the interface, it's so friendly and the mouse and keyboard don't stuck up in case you're a heavy typer. And it hardly crash.

A lot of switchers were disappointed with Macs the first time around. Why? Because Macs were not built for gamers. If you want games, go PC. Macs are built for professionals who works. There will be great games once in a while but leave it to the PC. It's a workhorse.

I love iTunes and iPod working together from end to end.

Also, the resale value is a lot higher.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yun pala ang gamit ng Mac. Ginagamit ko lang ang G4 17" Powerbook ko sa pag internet eh :bwahaha: Sa bahay eto ang gamit ko pero sa work Windows. Mahirap talaga kapag baguhan sa Mac, lalo na yung mga hotkeys.

My only complain? PowerBooks get hot easily.

ever since the advent of Mac OS X, I've never heard of a dissatisfied Mac user.
    the users dont complain because all they do is pass it down to the techs. luckily, I dont have to deal with software issues. however, most of their issues are hardware failure. They ran so fast that their hardware fails. But noteworthy, if your usage is not as much as, say the scientist in NASA, then you shouldnt have any problems, I hope. Hardware failure in apple is as much as PCs.

Im using my PB for 45 mins now and the case is hotter than a typical PC.

all of these are based on my own experience. In no way Im a MAC expert...hehehe

another look at switching to MAC (viewable only on PC)
    http://apple.com/switchthis

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
Choose : Toshiba or Apple?