New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    It must be a diff type than what BorgWarner sells because a 3.0 should be producing around 240-300hp with VGT.

Anyway, if the Germans aren't having issues with our fuels, I really don't see any reason to blame our fuels. Sure, it's only Euro2 but how come other companies aren't having issues?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last I heard Toyota was using Denso fuel pumps while Hyundai using Bosch. Baka mas maganda lang ang German kaysa Japanese technology?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    AFAIK, TDCi's also use Bosch pumps, but the output is nowhere near the 170hp starex. The output differences are probably about the tuning. I saw a chipped 3.0 ranger with 210 hp on youtube.

Hmmm. I wouldn't go around and bash the car manufacturers for their conservative approach, or the "inferior" engines they are putting in vehicles.

Output and performance aren't always the first things on people's minds when they are buying cars. There's often the question of reliability and affordability.

If consumers really insisted on having the cutting edge on every vehicle, then we should have seen B16A's and 4AGE's in every run-of-the-mill civic and corolla. But we don't.

Toyota choking problems or not, diesel fuel here in our country remains dirty. I've seen alot of CRDi (no, not the hyundai/kia brand, but rather the tech itself) vehicles belch out black smoke.

but dang, I'd love to have a diesel xc70 or 3-series as my ride!

4. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    OT:

Guys if your planning to buy a new Hyundai unit you could pm me.

I'm working in Hyundai.

Thanks.

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Kihtmaine ikaw ba hung nasa avatar? kung ikaw nga kahit wala kong plano, bibili ako

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Well let the masses eat the crap and let the educated/informed motorists enjoy the better engines that Hyundai/Kia provides which the masses will never experience because they are too brand blinded...
    Everything's crap compared to hyundai and kia?

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    scharnhorst, the European spec Ford 2.0 TDCI (Focus) produces about the same power as a KIA 2.0 CRDI VGT. It just seems to me that Ford is torque biased.

Ford 2.0 - 132hp/320Nm (overboost: 340Nm)
    KIA 2.0 - 140hp/314Nm

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    scharnhorst, the European spec Ford 2.0 TDCI (Focus) produces about the same power as a KIA 2.0 CRDI VGT. It just seems to me that Ford is torque biased.

Ford 2.0 - 132hp/320Nm (overboost: 340Nm)
    KIA 2.0 - 140hp/314Nm
    I was referring to the 2.5 and 3.0 liter WLT-based TDCi found in the ranger/everest.

mababa output nila kumpara dun sa starex (and navara, for that matter)

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Yes, actually, I know you are referring to those. However, those are Asian market versions so it's not fair to compare with the EU specd Starex 2.5 CRDI VGT and Navara 2.5. I have driven the new Everest 3.0 though and it's quite fast. Very long hood though which is a bit weird to me at first.

To be honest, i really don't see the business sense in producing different engines for different markets. I know why, but I don't know why they choose to do it despite the setbacks.

Hyundai for example, has only one global design for their engines. the V6 2.5 locally is the same V6 2.5 you'd be able to purchase in US/EU. The diesel engines sold locally are also the same in EU.

Germans I think also implement the same. The Audi/BMW/MB diesels here are same of those sold in EU.

Most Japanese manufacturers (Honda/Toyota/Mitsubishi etc), on the other hand produce Asian versions (considerably less power, phased-out/older technology, since quality:cost, probably lower quality standards) and EU/US versions (very high quality, latest technology, better warranties too!).

I suspect that the Japanese may have overproduced (which is understandable being the global leaders) and have been utilizing Asia as the market to sell "overruns". EU/US surely won't buy their stuff since better products from competition would annihilate them. Hence, the need to keep up. That's how I see it.

That Navara 2.5 surely is one beast of a pick-up. I hope the Armada looking SUV version finally arrives. It would surely spice up the One Mil and a half SUV market segment.
    Last edited by Horsepower; May 17th, 2009 at 05:44 AM.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver1013 View Post
    Everything's crap compared to hyundai and kia?
    Hahaha you take things too seriously, chill out!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast