New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    what about the quality of petrol here, is it the same as the US or Euro countries? And why do we have a higher octane rating than the US? Parang baligtad.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    another one...

the nissan x-trail.

in other SEA countries the 2.5L is rated at 177hp while the 2.0L is rated at 148hp. here it is rated (rounded up?) to 180hp and 150hp.

i think that they used bhp for hp.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvDetailing
    what about the quality of petrol here, is it the same as the US or Euro countries? And why do we have a higher octane rating than the US? Parang baligtad.
    iba ang measurement ng octane here in ph & in the us.

For the benefit of European readers, octane ratings are assigned a little differently in the U.S.

Octane is a measure of how much compression gasoline will tolerate before it spontaneously combusts. This combustion is called detonation and if it happens in the wrong part of the compression cycle it can cause a lot of damage to your engine. Higher octane tolerates higher compression and it is therefore essential that we use high octane fuels in our Cayenne engines.

There are two ways to measure octane. One is a research method and the other is the motor method. The research method uses fixed timing but varies air temperatures. The motor method uses fixed air temperatures but varies in timing. Typically the research method will result in a more accurate and higher octane rating than the motor method. There is a protential problem though. The research method does not measure the fuel's sensitivity to the variable factors of the motor method.

Until the 1970's oil companies promoted their research octane ratings because the higher numbers were good for marketing. However if the fuel was overly sensitive to "motor method" variables such as timing, then detonation could occur in high compression engines running at high speeds. This exhibited itself particularly well on the German autobahns with high performance German engines destroying themselves at an abnormally high rate. Ironically, it was the U.S. government that took notice and decided to enact change.

In the U.S. the octane ratings are now mandated to be an average of the research method and the motor method measurements. The averaged octane ratings appear lower, but they can provide secondary but very important measurement.

You can get an idea of the "sensitivity" of the gasoline by the difference between the research octane and the motor octane. The greater the difference, the higher the sensitivity. Higher sensitivity is less desirable because it means the fuel is more unpredictable as running conditions change, and you are therefore taking a greater risk with your engine. If the difference between motor octane and research octane is small then the gasoline is less sensitive and more predictable, which means less risk of detonation over a wider range of conditions.

U.S. octane measurements appear lower because they are the average of two different octane measurements. We can be sure that Porsche knows about all this and approves the use of U.S. 91 octane fuel in the Cayenne engine. But we can protect our engines further by checking the difference between research octane and motor octane ratings in the fuel we buy.

I hope this didn't bore you to tears!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    We can be sure that Porsche knows about all this and approves the use of U.S. 91 octane fuel in the Cayenne engine.
    My car recommends 91 octane too...but i fill up 93 since there's no 91 available.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Maiba naman. Pano yung mga mini SUV dito, overrated din ba yung mga HP rating?
    Its the rav4 1.8 (and the same altis engine) its over rated at 145hp. Sa ibang markets nasa 135-140Hp i think.

Yung Car and driver Taiwan i read the altis 1.8 has around 135hp only.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    another question...

the "130 hp" VTEC3 engine of the Civic. I've tried scouring the web for more info but it seems that only the Philippines has it.
    yep dito lang sa pinas yan and dito lang lagi sinasabi na may vtec 3 sa ES sa ibang markets even the 1.7L vtec doesnt have Vtec 3 AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Supierreman
    yep dito lang sa pinas yan and dito lang lagi sinasabi na may vtec 3 sa ES sa ibang markets even the 1.7L vtec doesnt have Vtec 3 AFAIK.
    So ano ba difference ng "VTEC-3" sa VTEC? Maybe its just a marketing gimmick on honda's part.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i'm thinking may be what they brought in here is a different engine na 3 stage vtec. maybe its tuned for fuel economy but i doubt it if it has the same Hp rating as the 1.7L

Same thing with what happened to the EK VTi (96-00) it was supposedly 127hp but it turns out the engine isnt the same with the D16 127Hp in other markets. The local VTi has the head of the lesser Hp VTEC-E engine

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The QR25 was ORIGINALLY supposed to be 185bhp.

They retracted that in the US market because emissions and installation complcations limited it to 180. In some installations, it's 160bhp.

And the B16A really IS 120whp. It's the japanese ECU equipped version that gets over 140whp.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Maiba naman. Pano yung mga mini SUV dito, overrated din ba yung mga HP rating?
    Yup overrated din. Checked out other countries website ng xtrail 170hp lang ata dito sa atin ginawa nila 180 if im not mistaken

10. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma_34
    yes just like Petron Blaze, Caltex Gold at Shell velocity. 96 lahat yon.
    Only Petron Blaze is 96 RON. Gold & Velocity are 95 RON. You'd think they're at the same level as Blaze because of the price.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
HP Ratings ng Local Cars...