New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2014
    Malalaman ba natin kung anong group ng base oil ang ginamit base sa packaging lang?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Sir Andrew from what I know, pag sinabi sa pack "PAO base oil" should be group 4 yun - unless wrong info nilagay nila sa pack

Edit: pag may nakalagay naman na "hydrocrack" or "gtl" I think group 3 na

Edit2: "Synthetics is really more of a marketing term than anything that conforms to
    a scientific definition,” says Rosenbaum. “The only place where a synthetic lubricant is really defined as a PAO is Germany." - taken from an article from the Society of Tribology and Lubrication Engineers

------------------------------------------
    Stay hungry. Stay humble.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Simply put, Group IV (PAO) base oils are overrated.

Allow me to cross-post a reply I made on the other, very similar thread as I think it's very relevant to this thread as well.

Group III vs Group IV (PAO). Does it still matter?

Talking only about fully-synthetic oil, there was probably a point in time when PAO base oils were considered the holy grail of lubricants and were actually superior, in a very big way, to Group III and lower base stocks. But is this still the case today? It appears now that the performance gap between Group III and IV base stocks have become so close that the jump in cost choosing PAO makes it no longer cost-effective.

As cost is a major concern for most people, are the seemingly marginal benefits of PAO enough justification to throw your money to it?

Below is an article I read challenging this conventional thinking. I have provided excerpts if you do not wish to read the whole article.

A similar trend is emerging with Group III base oils, especially those made using modern hydroisomerization. These oils provide equivalent performance to traditional PAO-based synthetic oils for most products and can be manufactured in volumes and at price points unachievable by PAO.
    A modern Group III oil can actually outperform a PAO in several areas important to lubricants, such as additive solubility, lubricity and antiwear performance. Group III base oils can now rival PAO stocks in pour point, viscosity index and oxidation stability performance.
    This equivalent performance was validated by the 1999 ruling of the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau which allowed lubricants made with Group III oils to be labeled “synthetic.”
    Unfortunately for PAO producers, their feedstock prices will continue to be relatively high, and the authors believe that this will relegate PAO-based lubricants to smaller, specialized markets in the future. Driven by the substantially lower price of Group III oils, the synthetic automotive lubricant market in North America is rapidly converting most of its volumes to Group III base stocks.
    Source: Performance of Base Oils and Future Trends - The Evolution of Base Oil Technology - Part 3

To add, from here:

Group III oils are sometimes advertised as synthetics. There is an understanding that the refining process has severely modified the original hydrocarbon, thus synthesizing the more highly pure product.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    yeah some guys are still stuck on these base oil discussions. bitog forums have moved past these old discussions.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

5. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Admins, kindly archive this thread na. hehe kidding.

Dami kasing na didiscover mga new car owners kaya siguro hanggang ngayon, hot topic pa rin and oil types.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    ^😅

talk in bitog is car specific nowadays and the upcoming new standards

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I just pick a reputable FS oil I can afford that has the correct viscosity and API ratings.

Sometimes lang, our passion for cars forces us to overthink everything.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I just pick a reputable FS oil I can afford that has the correct viscosity and API ratings.

Sometimes lang, our passion for cars forces us to overthink everything.
    I found some cheap acea a5/b5 oils. searching is the best part imo bout these engine oils...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    I found some cheap acea a5/b5 oils. searching is the best part imo bout these engine oils...

I'm actually fine with Zic. It's a reputable oil that is better than the Toyota FS i've been using. Despite that, Zic still comes out cheaper than the Toyota FS.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BlancNoir View Post
    Admins, kindly archive this thread na. hehe kidding.

Dami kasing na didiscover mga new car owners kaya siguro hanggang ngayon, hot topic pa rin and oil types.
    👍👍👍

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast