New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i drove a 04 city and it reaches 140 with not much of a problem. Weight is a factor pag mga 1.3

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    for highway and city cruising, ok lang. kayang mag140kph ng lancer EL sa star tollway. pero ang ingay na ng makina. ramdam mo na rin hirap na yung makina sa akyatan (pagsanjan-pakil-teresa-antipolo route). sobrang taas ng slope!!

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP
    A 1.3 sedan is still faster than most pick-ups, vans, and SUV's available in the market for the last 5 years or so.

A Corolla 1.3 produces around 70 bhp. That is also exactly how much horsepower a Kia Besta 2.2 and a Mazda B2200 pickup has. A Kia Pregio has about 80 bhp. A Toyota Hi-Ace Grandia makes 88 bhp.
    this is not a good comparison at all, those Diesel engines produce that power level in much lower RPM because of its huge TORQUE around 19Kg-m.
    compared to a 1.3li's measly 10-11Kg-m. anyway as not to get side track with the issue at hand. i drove a Corolla XE before for about a week going upto Tagaytay,etc. it was decent enough when cruising. but it was pretty gutless with 3 or more passengers going uphill. And yes todays' modern 1.3li multivalve, fuel injected, variable valve timing it should do just fine.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It may not seem like a good comparison, but in actual driving, you'd be surprised how much faster a 1.3l sedan is than the aforementioned vehicles. If I'm not mistaken, a Corolla XL is still faster (in acceleration) than both the gas and diesel Terrano as well as the GEN II and GEN 2.5 Pajero.

I'm just driving at the point that 1.3 sedans are far from hopeless on highways as there are even slower vehicles out there. The diesels are even slower once you reach highway speeds.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    bottomline is: know the capabilities and limitations of your ride to get the best out of it

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    clutch lang ang sekreto dyan...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Naka 2005 Nissan sentra GX (1.3 a/t) si mrs. and you'll be surprised what the overdrive feature can do...ok naman ang acceleration you wouldn't feel na you're driving a 1.3 pag naka o/d off, but...syempre may but...pag naka o/d na sa expressway and may sakay sa likod, sp. kung tatlo, mabagal talaga...City driving (o/d off), it's ok...pwede na....fuel efficient pa....
    Last edited by fakesaint; June 8th, 2005 at 10:00 AM. Reason: balixtaddd o/d and o/d off post...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    '94Toyota Corolla XL 1.3 liter 140 kph at the NLEX Candaba swamp.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fakesaint
    Naka 2005 Nissan sentra GX (1.3 a/t) si mrs. and you'll be surprised what the overdrive feature can do...ok naman ang acceleration you wouldn't feel na you're driving a 1.3 pag naka o.d, but...syempre may but...pag naka od off na sa expressway and may sakay sa likod, sp. kung tatlo, mabagal talaga...City driving, it's ok...pwede na....fuel efficient pa....
    Hindi ba ang o/d ay ang 4th gear diyan? Dapat nga mas malakas ang hatak pag naka O/D off kasi 1st to 3rd gear lang gamit niya.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Never drive with the O/D off. Overdrive is your 4th gear. Would you drive at expressway speeds in third?

O/D is not a speed-boosting feature. It just allows you to cruise at a more relaxed rpm than you would if you had it off. It is called overdrive because the gear ratio is <1.00. It is equivalent to the fourth gear of a manual. I think on a Sentra auto 1 and 2 are underdrive, 3 is direct drive (1.00 gear ratio) and 4th is overdrive.

There is no reason to turn it off unless you want to prevent the vehicle from upshifting (e.g. climbing or descending steep mountain roads).

Otherwise leave it on (that's why it warns you in big yellow letters when you turn it off).

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
How does 1.3L engines fare in highways?