New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Hello guys, my brother has done a tweak on my engine. He just increased the air intake of my carburetor. When he increased the air intake, the idling also increased, in effect you could lower down your idling. lower idling means lower gasoline consumption without the fear of engine knocking. My km/liter consumption just increase from 8-9 km/liter to 11-12km/liter. Well i took the risk for this modification last august, and so far my car is doing fine. you could ask him directly, jigs at 09179572267 or you could txt your landline and he will give you a call. Anyway, its worth a try but no promises. By the way, im not sure how it will be done for fuel injected cars and other vehicle, but he told me he could also do it.

PS. i did not mention the cost, he just asked me for P700.00. Thats it.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Usually yon ung style sa carb-type engines... not difficult to do... pero okay naman yung price.

Hehe... I remember that DETGEP... antagal na yun! :lol:

The best suggestions were already made... driving style, proper maintenance, turn the AC thermostat down (err... up? basta, to the "less-than-frigid" setting) and the fan speed up to make up for the temp (high fan speed - low compressor usage uses less gas than low fan speed - high compressor usage) and tire pressure (stiffer, better). If your trips are all in the city, you might want to think about getting a can of flat-fix and keeping that instead of a spare, or buying a donut, which should last you long enough to get to the next vulcanizing shop or your house. Donut spares weigh half of what an original spare does and are available secondhand at evangelista for about P 1,000 or so.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sell the 2.0L rav4

and buy a

1.1L picanto

problem solved

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Okay... sell me yours, M2. :lol:

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    Okay... sell me yours, M2. :lol:
    :bwahaha:

Am doing 9.5km/L right now... and am pretty satisfied with that...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Agh... :lol: ...Am getting just under 9, right now... too much traffic outside our house... and when I finally get clear, my right foot just seems to be magnetically attracted to the floor (vroom vroom!) :lol:

7. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    Usually yon ung style sa carb-type engines... not difficult to do... pero okay naman yung price.

Hehe... I remember that DETGEP... antagal na yun! :lol:

The best suggestions were already made... driving style, proper maintenance, turn the AC thermostat down (err... up? basta, to the "less-than-frigid" setting) and the fan speed up to make up for the temp (high fan speed - low compressor usage uses less gas than low fan speed - high compressor usage) and tire pressure (stiffer, better). If your trips are all in the city, you might want to think about getting a can of flat-fix and keeping that instead of a spare, or buying a donut, which should last you long enough to get to the next vulcanizing shop or your house. Donut spares weigh half of what an original spare does and are available secondhand at evangelista for about P 1,000 or so.
    what do you mean "High Fan Speed - Low compressor usage" is this the fan control of the Aircon so masmaganda ilagay mo sa #3 than #1 fan setting? any comments

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Usually for me, fan at 2 or 3, thermostat in the middle. If it starts getting cold, set it lower. This is more fuel efficient than leaving the fan on 1 then turning the thermostat all the way to the "cold" setting. Setting the fan at 4 doesn't help... the fan will be working hard enough to heat the motor (notice how ACs never seem cold when you set the fan to full blast?) and moving air also causes more friction, less cooling.

I also toggle the A/C button on and off in traffic. I turn it on again when I'm back at cruising speed. I almost never use it at night.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    I finally got around to tuning my carbs and guess what... I actually increased my mileage from 5km/l to around 9km/l with just a simple tweak on the carburetors. (this is with twin dual side draft carbs)

Here's what I did:
    - Warmed up engine for mga 15 mins (get it up to operating temp)
    - turned off engine, then started from full lean air-fuel ratio, meaning the screw is screwed fully in.
    - loosened idle screw to minimum idle speed (fully loosened)
    - loosened the air-fuel mixture screw 3 turns out for all 4 carb throats (just 1 screw for stock carb)
    - started the engine. idle should be either too high or too low, if too high then tighten the screws half a turn, if too low then loosen it. (you can do this while engine is running)
    - once you get the right engine speed try to slowly tighten the mixture screw(s) without changing the engine "tone" (do this one by one for dual carbs)
    - once everything is running okay you can now set the idle screw to your desired idle speed.
    - for dual carbs don't expect a nice idle at once hehehe you'll need a short tube to listen to each carb throat to make sure they all "sound" the same.
    - increase your tire pressure to your max "comfortable" psi. I usually have mine at 35psi front tires and 40psi rear tires (I get more oversteer this way since im driving a RWD)
    - go out for a test drive and make sure your engine doesn't knock

So far this seems to work for me. I took the car out for a "touge" run and it seems to have retained the torque and HP needed to make the climb... although I had to increase my revs from 3000 to about 4000 (uphill). On normal road conditions, you'll rarely notice the difference. Except of course, the increase in mileage.

But, it MAY not work for you, but it has worked for me. hehehe

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    ang suggestion sa vwdiesel

1. cold intake
    2. 2.5 inches exhaust plus headers

meron pa others naklimutan ko lang

,prysm

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
any engine tweaks to lower gas consumption?