New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For me its the best compromise. Classic old car looks and modern tech for everyday reliability.

I have a story on how difficult it is to drive old cars.
    I remember taking my uncle's toy for a test drive. it was a 67 mustang convertible. fully restored then and had just came from a carshow.
    It had new tires, new brakes, newly tuned up engine.The V8 engine made a beautiful rumbling sound.

I remember reading the brake pedal. it said "power brakes". It was right. While diving round the subdivision at 30kph top down of course. I had to brake for a hump. I tapped the brakes and guess what? the so called power brakes locked up and slid the new red sidewall tires. Scary! the brakes were either full lock or none at all.

After that experience with 4 wheel power drum brakes I immediately returned the car back to the garage. My brother was on the passenger seat. I asked him if he wanted his turn to drive. He kinda lost interest.

I could only imagine driving the car on wet roads or goin down baguio on a rainy day.

For old cars driven on a regular basis. I suggest you first try to bring the car back to original condition first. if the car seems lacking in roadworthyness then modernize by all means.

Safety and reliability first over style and originality.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by IJD180 View Post
    +1. better safe than maporma, lalo na kung daily driver siya.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IJD180 View Post
    For me its the best compromise. Classic old car looks and modern tech for everyday reliability.

I have a story on how difficult it is to drive old cars.
    I remember taking my uncle's toy for a test drive. it was a 67 mustang convertible. fully restored then and had just came from a carshow.
    It had new tires, new brakes, newly tuned up engine.The V8 engine made a beautiful rumbling sound.

I remember reading the brake pedal. it said "power brakes". It was right. While diving round the subdivision at 30kph top down of course. I had to brake for a hump. I tapped the brakes and guess what? the so called power brakes locked up and slid the new red sidewall tires. Scary! the brakes were either full lock or none at all.

After that experience with 4 wheel power drum brakes I immediately returned the car back to the garage. My brother was on the passenger seat. I asked him if he wanted his turn to drive. He kinda lost interest.

I could only imagine driving the car on wet roads or goin down baguio on a rainy day.

For old cars driven on a regular basis. I suggest you first try to bring the car back to original condition first. if the car seems lacking in roadworthyness then modernize by all means.

Lancia had a horrible safety issue with the Monte Carlo (I hope I rememebered it right...) wherein the rear brakes would lock up and the car would spin (especially scary, since it was a mid-engined car... ).

Know how they fixed it? Removed the brake booster. Took a heftier shove to apply the brakes, but they were more linear, and thus, safer. Your uncle might want to do that.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Interesting video of Top Gear on the Jaguar XJS--that was modernized with subtle and discreet functional mods like upgraded bushings that you won't notice kaagad. I think it's a good compromise basta it doesn't detract from the car's personality. And of course, it retains that characteristic typical of classics.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O5ZPBmv-zVU

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    It really depends on how you view the car.

If it is just a status symbol or a financial investment, sure, keep everything original... but I'd rather have a compromised value car that performs to my expectations rather than a valuable original that's a danger to me on the road.

Besides, if you're already going to soup up the engine, you might as well go the whole hog.
    you can have bolt-on upgrades available sa U.S. as you are aware. these
    allow you to not compromise the intrisic value of the car. Or even cut up or butcher sections of it. I met a guy who races a shelby mustang here and he said that there is a guy in cubao who can do a undetectable bolt on upgrade for both steering and discs at less than half the price of a flaming river bolt on for example.

he constantly shops for parts in the U.S. and still swears by this guy. His mates here are the guys with the few K codes etc.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    OT lang: tagal mo nawala a sir midinite

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    ok lang ang new tech on a classic, kung daily driver lang naman at hindi pang concours competition.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    mas ok yun..if you have the means to do that expensive work. why not.
    pera lang talaga prob. here's gamble-bee our 1973 dodge colt 16L

sana maging ganito. kung sino man may-ari nito.. PALIMOS!!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    same scenario... this is one of the upgrades that I am doing on my 27 year old toyota starlet - power steering

eto pa ang list of modern day upgrades that I am going to do on that oldschool starlet:

1) would be an electronic fuel pump... kasi yung space ng mechanical fuel pump is interfering somehow sa PS pump.
    2) clutch cable would also be converted into power assisted (hydrolic clutch)
    3) 4speed tranny would be upgraded to 5speed tranny
    4) stock rear drum brakes into disk brakes, front disk brakes to bigger size disk brakes and convert the rubber hose to steel braided brake hose
    5) power windows and door locks na keyless entry and alarm... I'll be keeping the window lever for the stock look but will turn it into a "switch" instead
    6) functional three-point seat belts for the front and rear seats (the starlet did have stock seat-belts)
    7) an ipod plug on its' old school alpine radio (I will be hacking the radio to accomodate this upgrade)
    8) DIY superbright LEDs will replace the stock bulbs for the signal lights
    9) HIDs for the oldschool yellow fog lamps (if I can find an oldschool fog lamp)
    10) a higher wattage headlamp lights
    11) a higher amperage alternator na IC regulated na - but I plan to place the old school voltage regulator still in place for aesthetics
    12) a better a/c system na hindi na R12 ang freon - 134a freon
    Last edited by wildthing; May 14th, 2008 at 07:04 PM.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
    5)power windows and door locks na keyless entry and alarm... I'll be keeping the window lever for the stock look but will turn it into a "switch" instead
    This idea is way cool!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
modern technology for classic car?