New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 144 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    did someone say Chery? these guys are smart. they make cars out of someone else's design and mass produces them. giving their low cost of labor and significantly low r&d cost, they should be making huge profit margins. only if we could invest in their stocks...:lol: various companies have sued them. unfortunately the chinese government tolerates copyright infringement. intellectual property rights laws are viewed by the government as a blockade created by the imperialist capitalists (think of the western countries) to prevent them from becoming an economic powerhouse.

here are some of the most recent cases involving Chery.

*VW sued Chery for copying the SEAT (a car based from the VW Jetta). VW later accepted a financial settlement.

*Toyota sued its partner Chery Automobiles for producing a version of the RAV-4 under a different label. I think the lawsuit was filed in early 2006. i don't know the outcome though.

*General Motors sued Chery Automobiles, but later settled the case to preserve their business interests in China. GM alleged that the Chery QQ copied the Daewoo Spark (GM had a stake in Daewoo). it was even rumored that Chery QQ used the Daewoo Spark with a Chery logo glued on to pass the government crash test :lol: GM did win one concession though. the court ruled that Chery can't sell their cars in the US under its own name due to similarity between Chevy and Chery. This ruling was challenged by Malcolm Bricklin (the guy trying to import the Chery brand in the US). i don't know who won the case.

the people in China have none or little concept of intellectual property rights, as a result Chery may face considerable hurdles bringing their cars to large markets such as North America and Europe. additionally they would have to pass rigorous US regulations. they were supposed to bring their cars to the US market at the beginning of 2007, but where are they?? Malcolm Bricklin, where are your exclusive Chery dealerships? :lol: i'm sure this will become another Yugo.

here is a link to most unsafe car in existence:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/article567349.ece

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    some of their cars that resemble cars owned by other car manufacturers.

mitsubishi eclipse?

chinese version of the smart car

lexus is3X0 copy

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    here is a Geely made car. another illustration of the chinese's blatant disregard to IP rights.

chinese Rolls-Royce

Huanghai Fast NCV a mash-up of Pontiac ******* and Lexus RX series.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    a chinese version of the BMW X5 (was BMW redefined? does it stand for BEIJING MOTOR WORKS now? )

Scion Xa and Xb knock offs

i give the chinese credit for trying, but a big thumbs down for copying and profiting from someone else's design and hard work.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    how are the interiors of these marvelous clones? pareho din ba like the original?

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    how are the interiors of these marvelous clones? pareho din ba like the original?
    they actually look good based from the pictures i've seen.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    more cars, more traffic coming too.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    good yan for consumers, maaring bumaba ung mga known brands na. if i grab nang mga consumers.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by n2knee View Post
    *Toyota sued its partner Chery Automobiles for producing a version of the RAV-4 under a different label. I think the lawsuit was filed in early 2006. i don't know the outcome though.
    ahaha...pati sarili nilang partner dinugas nila. i guess if you lie down with dogs don't be surprised if you wake up with fleas :bwahaha:

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post
    ahaha...pati sarili nilang partner dinugas nila. i guess if you lie down with dogs don't be surprised if you wake up with fleas :bwahaha:
    That's the difference between the China & Korea/India/Malaysia, the latter respected the agreements with their partners/donors/suppliers to help them kick start their automotive industry (look at where Korea is right now after some receiving some help from Mitsubishi).

Chery Cars Philippines (Iseway Motors)