New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I've been having mixed emotions lately. The boss of my boss informed me that they are working on getting me a posting in HQ. However, I did not expect the posting to be a minimum of 2 yrs. When the boss of my boss asked me if I am willing to work in HQ for AT LEAST 2 yrs, I said yes immediately and I was in cloud 9! I know that employees from our company would kill to be in this position, probably less than 10% have been given this chance since the company started (PH to abroad is rare, more common is abroad to PH assignment)

I keep on complaining to my boss about my situation here in Manila (lousy colleagues) so he said he will do something to help me. I am aware that there is no vacancy in HQ, in fact our company is at a net loss for Q3, businesses are being sold and employees are being retrenched. HQ moved heaven and earth (as my friend phrased) because they had to create an additional headcount and justify why they need me there when they should in fact be reducing employee headcount. It is also government ruling in employment that citizens be given priority then EU member countries. Non-EU member countries can only be employed IF the company can justify that no citizen or EU member citizen is capable of that job.

I started having doubts about my assignment when I started researching on the salary and cost of living in HQ. Apparently, expat living is not as profitable and glamorous as I thought it was. I also joined an expat forum so I got an idea of the common complaints. Taxes can go as high as 45% and a decant 1 bedroom flat in the expat area costs about EUR1000. Based on my computation, I will only be able to save P50,000 a month which for me is not worth being away from my family and friends. In Manila, I do not pay for rent, utilities or food. If I move abroad I have to worry about rent, utilities and food. Flats are so small and I would have to buy new furniture and appliances etc. I also can't imagine being away from my family and fat lab for such a long time Also, what will happen to my car? Should I sell one because definitely nobody will use my cars when I am away. But what will happen when my assignment is finished, I will still need another car for coding. I had no idea na ang dami palang factors when leaving the country for work. However, my friend who works in our branch abroad (local hire not expat) told me that 3 yrs is just a breeze and I should not think of the salary as my main motivation but rather the experience, network and career growth that a foreign job assignment will do for me. It only gives me motivation when I think about the prestige of working in HQ, how it would be like to work with top bankers (though mostly hated ) and regulators globally. I also like the idea of decorating my flat from scratch and how travelling around Europe would be so easy. Yun lang motivation ko, parang nangyari napasubo ako, kaya be careful what you wish. Another con would be I would be so dependent on my boss when I am there. I would be the lone Filipino in HQ. I also researched online and most of the Filipinas there are from PH provinces na nakapag asawa ng citizen, and I don't think we'd have the same interests

My dilemma is, IF HQ gives me a 2-3 yr assignment, should I bargain for a 1 yr assignment? I could tiis for 1 yr but I think 2-3 is a bit long. My friend told me DO NOT request for a shorter stay as this might create a bad impression considering what HQ went through for me. If you were in my position, would you?
    Last edited by _Cathy_; October 26th, 2015 at 03:05 PM.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Kung germany yan, mag-ingat coz somehow nabuwiset na sila na-irescue ang mga tamad na EU nations. They cant get out of the Euro coz they are the lead in Eurozone but all their neighbors are siesta loving countries, so pano ba naman yun trabaho ng trabaho tapos yun iba nagtutulog, nagpapapsarap aa wine tapos mangungutang.

Geemany also took in millions of refugees from Syria. If you know wolrd history, something's brewing in that region. i wouldnt want to be caught in a crossfire, na wala naman ako kinalaman

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    you will be an expat mode. you should be getting double or triple your compensation or.... they may retain your package here, but should give you an allowance and boarding costs abroad. that is what my company did to me when i was assigned in japan and in china years ago.

but to answer your question, it is better if you are compensated properly and if you are a professional. if you are a blue collar worker, mahirap. (parang on the wings of love lang.)

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    to add, mas maganda na din siguro na tanggapin mo maski max three years. iba pa din na may overseas experience ka sa portfolio and cv mo.... pag balik mo dito mas mataas na rates mo.

3 years is short.... single ka pa naman.

ako when i was in japan, kakapanganak lang ng misis ko..... stayed there for two years.
    and when i was assigned in china, my kid was around 5 years old.... stayed there for 1.5 years....

on your other questions.... what will happen to your car? pagamit mo muna sa nanay mo.

masarap din masubukan and ma experience mo mamuhay ng magisa, away from the comforts of your parents..... madami kang matututunan.... and you are going out of your comfort zone, which is good.... pag nasanay ka kasi na nandyan si nanay, comportable buhay mo dahil alam mo may masasandalan ka....

it will also give you more experience in handling a budget.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    isa pang add.

to think na what will happen to your car is such a petty thing...... compared to what it will bring you after your stint there. pardon me for saying this, but this mindset is for spoiled brats.

if there are opportunities, grab it. you will not know what you are missing until you are there.
    ika nga, if you want to see and get the pearls in the deep, you go dive. if you want to get the gold, you have to dig.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Super sayang yung opportunity. Your worries are nothing compared to the doors that accepting that expat position will open for you. I'd gladly take an expat position if I was single.

As an expat you'll have allowances (food, housing, etc) so imposibleng di ka makaipon. But more than the financial aspect, the fact that you get international exposure is an opportunity not many people get.

I can't seem to think why you wouldn't want to grab the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    you will learn to be even more responsible and independent.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    I don't even see how there's a debate here. People are being let go left and right and you're doubting a move to HQ where you will get:

1. Better salary
    2. Better experience
    3. International exposure
    4. Get to experience a whole new continent and a myriad of cultures
    5. Job security
    6. Opportunities to move up

Don't concern yourself with cars. While it is our passion it shouldn't even be a factor in this life changing decision.
    Last edited by EQAddict; October 26th, 2015 at 04:19 PM.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005

"To The Sky"

Shipwreck in a sea of faces
    There's a dreamy world up there
    Dear friends in higher places
    Carry me away from here

Travel light, let the sun eclipse you
    'Cause your flight is about to leave
    And there's more to this brave adventure
    Than you'd ever believe

Birds-eye view, awake the stars 'cause they're all around you
    Wide eyes will always brighten the blue
    Chase your dreams, and remember me, sweet bravery
    'Cause after all those wings will take you, up so high
    So bid the forest floor goodbye as you race the wind
    And take to the sky (you take to the sky)

On the hills of war and wonder
    There's a stormy world up there
    You can't whisper above the thunder
    But you can fly anywhere

Purple burst of paper birds
    This picture paints a thousand words
    So take a breath of myth and mystery
    And don't look back

And take to the sky (you take to the sky)

There's a realm above the trees
    Where the lost are finally found
    So touch your feathers to the breeze
    And leave the ground

And take to the sky
    (you take to the sky)
    Go for it!

We will not miss you.....

You,- will miss us!... :hysterical:

"The measure of a man is what he does with power" LJIOHF!

27.9K _/_/_/_/_/:matrix:_/_/_/_/_/

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    My main concern really is being away from my family. I did not think of this when my boss asked me if they take me in at HQ, how about my family. My family can visit me anytime but I have a someone I consider my 2nd Mom since she took care of me since I was a baby. I have never been away from her for long and when she found out I might be away for too long, sasama daw siya. It really broke my heart to pieces. I did not really expect a long term assignment sincd I knew we were losing money. I guess sinulit na ng HQ since they fought for me anyway. I could definitely not refuse, nakakahiya but a shorter stay would be tolerable.

I have no offer yet but I estimate salary to be triple at the minimum but after expenses, I would have about P50k in savings which I really think is not worth it.

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast