New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by XTO View Post
    also if walang reklamo with maint costs then full a/t is the way to go. :
    just curious, what's a full a/t by definition?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by box_type View Post
    what about modern manual cars? they don't get upgraded like their automatic counterparts?
    Most modern manuals only has 6 gears and rarely would you be able to reach the 6th gear when traversing urban areas. Porsche does have a 7-speed MT tranny but the top gear is used primarily on cruising at high speeds (autobahn speeds).

Modern automatics offer better ratios in tranny operation like the new 10-speed/9-speed traditional ATs, 8-speed electronic gear CVTs, and 7-speed DCTs.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by papi smith View Post
    Nowadays, an AT tranny is something that allows you not to row your own gears. It can be a traditional AT, CVT, or DCT.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by papi smith View Post
    papi yung halos lahat lahat ay automatic para wala na talaga pagod

5. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Simply put:

All automakers are required by law and by their respective country regulations to improve mileage and reduce consumption. They are severely penalized if they dont meed their CAFE standard.

And simply put all these automakers are deriving their mileage gains from electrification, turbo charging and AUTOMATIC transmissions. The AT on modern cars is simply stronger, can handle more power, shifts faster and is more fuel efficient than a manual.

If this were not so, logic would dictate that they would be pouring their development into manual transmissions. But since they get better mileage from automatics.... The writing is on the wall for the manual transmission.

There may be some exceptions especially in older architectures but in general, the AT will beat the hell out of the manual.

Example:

Vios CVT AT vs Vios manual.

Mustang AT vs Mustang Manual

Porsche 911 AT vs Porsche 911 Manual

These examples cover a wide range of cars from econobox to mainstream performance to elite performance. Lets not even talk about crossovers here. Crossovers will rarely get a manual option. The automatic is just so much better and fuel efficient.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by EQAddict; December 14th, 2018 at 12:12 PM.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    With today's worsening traffic congestion, I would choose the AT or the MT. Most modern day AT vehicles have better FC than the old model AT's.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Modern cars with the AT option are quicker than its MT equivalent. Some old thinking would point to AT as the slower option but this holds no truth nowadays. The fun of rowing your own gears persists in MT cars but modern ATs are just quicker to shift gears than our mere mortal capabilities.

I heard someone from my staff telling me that AT cars are slow but he got the surprise of his life when he rode with me on my Fiesta. It's not even as quick as my other ride with a CVT.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    AT cars are faster, more fuel efficient and better equipped.

I personally only see the $$$ as one's reason for choosing an MT variant.

BUT, If you plan to have the car for more than 20 years... Then I'm choosing manual.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    my personal experience says otherwise.
    i have AT and MT of the same car to compare against.
    the AT consistently does 15-20% less km/li.
    much of my driving is in the city.

perhaps your statement's basis is on largely highway driving, where my MT does 2200-2300 rpm at 80 kph, while my AT does the 80 at 1900 rpm.
    it would appear, whatever AT savings i get in the highway, are easily gobbled up when i hit the city.
    Same here. My AT Altis consumes more fuel than my MT Altis. When I was using the Fuelio App, IIRC, I was getting 8 km/l on my AT and 10 km/l on my MT. So we have almost the same numbers (AT is 20% less efficient) I rarely drive in traffic and most of my trips are less than 30 mins and short distance only. But I think it has something to do with my driving style, I had a lot of comments na mabigat daw paa ko sa gas

Between AT and MT, I prefer to drive my MT, but that's because I don't encounter traffic so much. Susumpa ko manual if my normal route is traffic, so I guess the safe choice is to get an AT car.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Comfort hand down AT is the winner. fuel consumption i would guess would be much harder to answer. From experience previous gen fortuner the 5sp manual has a definite fuel economy adv. over the 4sp-At.

Now more intereting for me would be to find out if the current 6-sp auto fortuner fares any better versus the 6-sp manual fortuner in fuel consumption.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
what should we buy automatic or manual transmission for fuel efficiency and comfort?