New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by norelco View Post
    Same here Sir, hindi maka pag decide.. My choices are HRV EL, Mazda CX5, CRV 2.0 S AT, Mitsubishi ASX & Toyota Fortuner.. Previous ride Gen 1 CRV..
    I've already actually decided on getting the HRV E.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Just got the HRV E a couple of days ago. The CVT is responsive (not that responsive according to some reviews), fuel economy is around 9 to 10km/l, combined. Personally i like the way it drives compared sa lumang XV and 2007 CRV. Maintence wise, hopefully same lang sana sa crv, unlike yun xv na 10k every 10kms.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Reviving this thread as we are considering a vehicle within the price range. My wife does not like a sedan or a pickup so it is pretty much a choice of crossovers and CUV.

2016 Honda HRV E
    2015 Subaru XV Premium (with big discount)
    2016 Subaru XV base
    2016 Subaru Forester (with discount)
    2016 Mitsubishi ASX GSR
    2016 VW Jetta TDI (sedan though big discount makes it a very good option)
    Last edited by Egan101; March 21st, 2016 at 12:29 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Ang makina ng HR-V is yung sa current civic ngayon na 1.8 di po ba? ok sana yung porma kaso baka underpowered. Pero baka same lang ng weight ng civic FD.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Reviving this thread as we are considering a vehicle within the price range. My wife does not like a sedan or a pickup so it is pretty much a choice of crossovers and CUV.

2016 Honda HRV E
    2015 Subaru XV Premium (with big discount)
    2016 Subaru XV base
    2016 Subaru Forester (with discount)
    2016 Mitsubishi ASX GSR
    2016 VW Jetta TDI (sedan though big discount makes it a very good option)
    Between your choices of CUVs, I think the Forester is the best buy. It's easily the most spacious and most versatile. Fit and finish is top-notch and features are decent enough. You'll miss your Fiesta's turbo punch, but the Forester's NA 2.0 is adequate enough for puttering around the city or cruising the highway at 100-140.

The XV feels peppier, but personally I find the XV's low roof a bit claustrophobic. I think that the Forester is a better package, though it really depends if you value space over toys.

The ASX is also small compared to other CUVs but it's about same as the XV. I haven't driven the new CVT, but even with the old CVT, the 4B11 on the ASX gives good performance. Features are decent for the price for both GLS an GSR models. Considering the big discounts, the ASX comes out as good value for money. I like it more than the XV or HRV because it's cheaper than both, but I would personally just stretch a little more for a proper CUV like the CX5 or Forester.

Haven't driven the HRV but it's the same engine as the FB Civic. I was surprised with how spacious it is considering it's a raised Jazz, though again it really doesn't match up against the Forester.

The Jetta is an interesting left-field choice. It looks really plain from the outside and comes only with a manual. Upgrading to 18s or 19s will make a big difference in its looks though. The diesel makes it very peppy off the line with very little turbo lag. Handling is stable and predictable though it doesn't feel like a small car. Unfortunately, I don't see why you should buy this over a Mazda 3 2.0 if you want a sedan - better built, faster, more features, cheaper, and looks better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Thanks, jut! I am not expecting the choices to be quicker than my Fiesta but my wife wanted a bigger vehicle. The Fiesta becomes a 3-seater when I carry my golf stuff.

The Forester thus offer a better package over the XV. It is bigger and more comfortable. My wife is impressed with the visibility it offers from the inside. The rear cargo space is also added value. The 2016 Forester 2.0i-L even comes out cheaper when we count the discounts offered. Subaru raised the price of the 2016 XV (1.328M for the base model) but they offer discounts on remaining 2015 models (200k for the Premium, 100k for the base model).

The HRV is surprisingly big inside. It is even more spacious compared to the XV. My wife is leaning more for it as we can get a better price for it (discounts plus others). The dashboard looks nice and it offers good legroom. There is no manual handbrake but it comes with an electronic handbrake plus a brake hold mechanism. A discounted CRV base model is about the same price as the mid trim HRV.

The Jetta TDI we are looking at comes with a DSG tranny (automatic with manual override). The 2016 model looks more like the Audi A4 TDI. It is bigger than most compacts and feels more like the size of older midsize cars. We did a test drive on it and it is not as quick as my Fiesta off the line. It feels very composed though, offers very good sound insulation, and nice fit & finish. Despite my wife not wanting a sedan, the Jetta TDI DSG is an option as we are offered an ample discount for it.

For the mean time, I am lobbying to get the Forester as I find it the perfect choice for the all-around family vehicle.
    Last edited by Egan101; March 21st, 2016 at 04:54 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345