New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Going to OP, I hope he doesn't get overwhelmed and information overloaded.

To reiterate, he doesnt know how to drive properly and it will be his first vehicle.

*Gobilamoko- what's the status, have you decided?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eryxon View Post

Torque steer can be a problem on front wheel drive cars with higher torque engines ( > 210 N·m ) and transverse layout. This is the name given to the tendency for some front wheel drive cars to pull to the left or right under hard acceleration.
    Newer turbo FWD cars deliver that amount of torque (or more) and there seems to be not much of a problem with the wheels pulling left or right. Go check out a few of them and give them a try.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i bought my diesel innova with manual transmission, in 2005.
    after 110K km and 11 years, it still runs very very well, giving at least 10 km/li in the city. no headaches.
    the body? well, my son is the primary driver now. let's just keep it at that.
    but it does still look great from the left side.
    my point being, with a little luck and common sense, your car can still be running great, by the time your child graduates from elementary or even high school.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    My gripe with CVTs is so far, afaik, they are not serviceable here in PH. In the off chance that something goes wrong, whether it be by negligence or badluck. Dasal na may surplus na agad ang punta mo. Not saying that conventional AT or Manual do not have their own headaches but at least I feel you have more options on what to do about it.

the diesel Innova 2.8 E might be a good fit, there are probably discounts since Christmas/year end na.
    If you are not confident with your driving skills pa the Avanza 1.5G is a good alternative, smaller.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobilamoka View Post
    This is my predicament..

My soon to be wife just gave birth, so 5-6 years from now mag-aaral na yun. I'm thinking na habang di pa siya nag-aaral makabili na ako ng sasakyan kasi once na magstart na ako magbayad ng tuition, aka di ko na kayanin bumili ng sasakyan. Tapos bibili siyempre, I'll also be looking into getting my own house. so.. ang nasa utak ko po ay buy now while you still can before you can't afford it anymore. Kaya ang kung bibili na ngayon, bumili narin ng mataas - taas na vehicle na gusto ko narin na hindi ko na ibebenta. Of course my logic can be wrong :D
    Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd get the cheapest car that can serve my needs, then focus on saving for a house and my child's education.

A secondhand 1999-2002 CRV should serve your needs well. Around 200-250k, plus repairs of around 50k. Yes it's 15 years old and is pretty thirsty (I get 6 km/L with our 2000 CRV for city driving, 11-12 km/L on the highway). But it's very spacious, durable underchassis, and looks timeless. Whatever you'll spend on incremental fuel use and maintenance is still less than the 16k monthly amortization for a brand new car.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by iceblueyes View Post
    the diesel Innova 2.8 E might be a good fit, there are probably discounts since Christmas/year end na.
    If you are not confident with your driving skills pa the Avanza 1.5G is a good alternative, smaller.
    I agree, the Innova is a great choice for long-term ownership. However, TS will have to shell out close to 500k for downpayment to ensure that his MA is under 16k/month.

The Avanza, I'm not so convinced. If you need to ferry 7 people, the BRV is a more solid choice even if it's a bit more expensive, or the Mobilio/Ertiga if you want more affordable options. If you just need the ride height, the Ecosport is cheaper and still looks more respectable than the Avanza. The cheaper 1.3 Avanza is down on power but not more efficient than the 1.5.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by iceblueyes View Post
    My gripe with CVTs is so far, afaik, they are not serviceable here in PH. In the off chance that something goes wrong, whether it be by negligence or badluck. Dasal na may surplus na agad ang punta mo. Not saying that conventional AT or Manual do not have their own headaches but at least I feel you have more options on what to do about it.

Don't have the luxury of having a big budget to get a practice car.. planning to get a car and be extra careful and learn to drive with it hehehe

8. Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Yes, try to save up for the Innova kahit yung J trim and Diesel.

If you want a smaller vehicle then I suggest Chevrolet Trax (since naghahanap ka rin ng alternative from Ecosport). We have both and I regularly use them. pag maramihan na sakay Innova pag dalawa lang kami ni misis yung Trax. and the trax is soooo much fun to drive.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    I dont care much about image, its reliability Im more concern. They say avanza is cheap and used as taxi but who cares except those with insecurity and wants to be seen as somebody. Its not the ride actually but the driver and how they drive to get respect.

My criteria of a good vehicle:

1. It is utilized as taxi (sign of reliability).
    2. Availability of spare parts.
    3. Simple design and not so complicated system.
    4. Its multipurpose (practical).
    5. After market support.
    6. Longer production model.

10. Join Date
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by eryxon View Post
    I dont care much about image, its reliability Im more concern. They say avanza is cheap and used as taxi but who cares except those with insecurity and wants to be seen as somebody. Its not the ride actually but the driver and how they drive to get respect.

My criteria of a good vehicle:

1. It is utilized as taxi (sign of reliability).
    2. Availability of spare parts.
    3. Simple design and not so complicated system.
    4. Its multipurpose (practical).
    5. After market support.
    6. Longer production model.
    You're looking at the Crosswind and the Adventure with those criteria lol.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast