New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Actually it only boils down to AFFORDABILITY.

For me, I would tend to dispose of an old car once it has engine and transmission problems that needs rebuilding.

Just like what other have said, if it spends more time in the shop and it become a money pit, then its time to let go.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
    Actually it only boils down to AFFORDABILITY.

For me, I would tend to dispose of an old car once it has engine and transmission problems that needs rebuilding.

Just like what other have said, if it spends more time in the shop and it become a money pit, then its time to let go.
    its not only about affordability - its about practicality - in my case, so far, minor engine problems pa lang naman - top overhaul - no tranny probs pa naman. thanks 4 ur comment bro.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hondaboot View Post
    if your car is 1st owned, why not?

usually gagastusan ko ang tsikot ko kung ako naman una mayari
    how about if it's your first car but you bought it used (2nd hand) out of your own money na pinaghirapan mong pag-ipunan & pinaghirapan mong i-set up/ipaayos ang car, will you preserve it to keep it running in good condition? in my case, this is my plan - maybe i will buy a newer car or even a brand new car in the near future, if i can afford it already, but i really want to preserve & keep my car running not only because of "senti" value but because i love it.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Interesting topic here.
    Me, I have an old 2nd hand car which continues to serve me up to now. I take pride that it runs everytime its called for. Had some issues here and there, but nothing a good mechanic can't fix.

However, my family is growing and I'm really planning to buy a newer (if not brand new) bigger car. If only I can afford it, I would keep my old car still. But the prob is, only one car fits in our garage. So the wisest thing to do is sell my old car while it can still get a higher resale value, and buy a newer car.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Related thread here.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    dumaan ako dito....

our old car was a lancer itlog, although we are not the first owner we loved it and took care of it. the car is properly maintained, palit lahat pag kailangan na. the family is already growing so we decided to get a new bigger car, so we got an MPV. pero ung lancer nasa amin pa din, pang coding lang. we decided to let it go after 3 months kasi bihira na gamitin etc... the car was sold to my sis-in-law, ngayon pag nakikita namin gusto namin bawiin...

kung kaya naman i-maintain ang dalawang auto, bat kailangan pang ibenta yung luma. for sure naman me use pa din ito... haaayy, miss our old car

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
    Related thread here.
    thanks! i've seen it. it's a great thread.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    to my mind, there are only five reasons why i would want to replace or get rid of my car:
    1. my service needs have changed: bigger family, more loads, health problems, etc.
    2. car is giving me a hard time; e.g. it spends more time in the repair shop than with me.
    3. i'm bored with my car.
    4. i want to keep up with the joneses.
    5. i don't need it anymore or i can not afford it anymore...
    #1, 2, and 5 are valid reasons. #3 is subjective but i recommend you stay put with your car, because this usually means your car is reliable. #4 is pathologic and there seems to be no cure for it.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Old car ako. I'd rather have 4 W124s or 5 Volvo 850s than 1 new Civic.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I got to 2nd hand rigs, when sold plus 100K in cash I can buy a honda jazz. It really doesn't add up...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Keep your old car vs. buying a new car?