New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    what's the best option for you guys?

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    It depends, if it still serves me as I please, without headaches, why dispose of it?

But if it needs constant financial support and the finances involved are the same or almost the same as paying monthly installment for a new car, then its a no brainer

3. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    It depends sir. For me, I would check and monitor the expenses of maintaining my old car. The older the car and the longer it is used, more parts need to be replaced on a regular basis. (e.g. suspension, engine parts-belts, water pump, engine support, hoses, timing belt/chain, brake system..etc) If the cost is almost the same in buying a brand new car (with good financial packages), I would choose to buy a brand new car. Almost same gastos but less headache.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by galant E SS View Post
    what's the best option for you guys?

Depends on how old is the old car. We have to remember, a car is a collection of mechanical parts. Mechanical parts are subject to wear and tear. As the car ages, stuff that normally don't fail will also start failing.

An old car as long as it can be considered "reliable", it can be kept for longer.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; January 24th, 2011 at 02:45 PM.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    thanks for the reply guys! so far, my car maintenance is not yet the same as monthly payments of a new car. i think the disadvantage of buying a new car is the cost, hehe!

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posting Articles (e.g. copy and paste material)

For posting an article in the forums, always include:
    • Title
    • Author (if available)
    • Date and Time (e.g. news articles)
    • and most importantly: the SOURCE (web address)
    Quote the entire article by using the Quote command:

Usage: [quote]Article[/quote]
    Example Usage: [quote]The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.[/quote]
    Example Output:
    The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
    Click for vBCode command list

Posts/Threads created not in compliance with this will be DELETED, with or without notification and will be issued an infraction.

Again, please take time to read the Tsikot Rules and Regulations.

Questions? Clarifications? Violent Reactions? Please direct your queries here:
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43559
    Last edited by ghosthunter; January 24th, 2011 at 02:47 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My old car was just 5 years old. I sold it for the following reasons:

- It was a small car and it didn't fit my growing family anymore
    - Although it was still reliable and properly maintained, I was worried that something is going to give soon.
    - Resale value was still good so I decided to cash out already.
    - Peace of mind. A new car practically gives you worry-free driving for years.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Based on the above-quoted article, and in my opinion, it's really more practical to keep a not very old car, maybe late 90's model or 2000 up models than to buy a new one. yon nga lang, hassle naman pag may nasisirang part tapos matatambay pa ang car mo for how many days.

[SIZE=5]how about 2 used cars vs. 1 brand new entry level car? which is more practical and which would you prefer guys?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]for example, i currently own a 97 mitsubishi galant, i acquired it on sept. 2009 and my total expenses for it as of now, acquisition cost plus repairs & parts = P 230,000 - 250,000 as of now. pero hindi naman monthly nasisira. & i'm not spending about 10,000 to 30,000 monthly payments for a brand new car. yon nga lang, hassle pag nasisira, natatambay sya for 1 day to 2 weeks kung may nasisirang parts - oorder pa kasi. sometimes, i think it's better to buy another used car worth 150,000 to 250,000 - late 90's or early 2000 plus model honda city, civic or accord para may magamit ako in case sira ang galant ko. sabi ko nga kay mrs., sobrang malas naman siguro kung sabay masira ang 2 cars, hehe! [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]1 '97 mitsu galant in good running condition which worth almost 230,000 plus 1 honda accord worth 200,000 = 2 used cars worth 430,000 - 500,000 vs. 1 brand new Entry level car such as toyota vios/ honda city/ nissan sentra worth 600 k plus to 700 k plus, plus insurance cost, etc.[/SIZE] tapos, u need to bring it to casa pa para di ma-void ang warranty pag change oil lang. gagastos pa ng mga 7,000 to 8,000 sa RORO back and forth. plus gasoline expenses, etc. Island kasi ang province namin.
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    No matter how you calculate it, an old car that is well maintained (i.e.: Not abused till it breaks) will always make more sense than a new car of comparable fuel economy.

You can expect to spend about 50-60k pesos in repairs a year for moderately heavy use. That's two or three sensors... or a transmission overhaul... or a new suspension and brakes.

You would still spend at least 150-180k pesos every year in car payments for the new car. And with the same usage, you would still have to change the oil just as often (more expensive, because you need to do it at the dealership), you will still have to change brake pads and tires just as often, and you will still end up buying new suspension bits just as often after the first two or three years.

If the new car is much more fuel efficient, has cheaper spare parts and has longer change intervals, it's worth upgrading despite the spendings. If it isn't, you're just spending the extra money for the convenience of not being stranded or carless for two or three days every time your old car has something break.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    To make it simple an old car is only worthwhile if its still worth whatever headache its giving you...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Keep your old car vs. buying a new car?