New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Haven't read the thread but if you just use the car as an appliance (you don't like cars) better just buy a new one every 5 years or so and save yourself the time and headache for repairs and whatnot.

Why I drive a 1995 model vehicle? Because I like cars and working on them.
    Add ko lang na I also like the design and look of a particular old car.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

siguro ganito....

if you are the type of person who only drives and knows nothing about taking care of cars, then, maybe you better buy a new car. malamang, lalabas na mga sira after 5 years.

but if you are the type of person who not only drives but really takes care of your ride as if its more important than your wife, then i dont see any reason why you need to buy a new car as long as you are still happy with the car.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Have you tried riding in the newer subcompacts lately?

Despite looking small, these make great use of the space.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    I have a 93 big body gli. so far, no troubles and the mileage is just about 120K dahil pang malapitan lang ang lakad. Engine is good, body is good, no major repairs except the clutch plate, leaking distributor, and front disk brakes. got a 2007 avanza for wifey, but for me, my preference is still the big body. I love the car, how it accelerates, handling and such. If you know how to tinker with cars, I see no reason for trying to obtain a new car. For me, its no valid reason na after 5 years lalabas na ang sakit sa ulo ng car kaya dapat idispatsa na. this is the reasoning for the moneyed class. pero para sa ating ordinary working class mabigat naman sa bulsa ano, just for the reason na ok ang bago. What kung ang makuha mo is a lemon? la pa naman replacement policy dito sa Pinas.
    Kaya for me, if you maintain the car properly, it will give you good service with less hassle. I could still remember my tamaraw auv, after putting it in good shape, has provided me with almost 10 years worry free driving. Nadispatsa lang dahil nabaha ni typhoon frank, nag stuck ip ang engine nya which a very reliable toyota 4K.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by galant E SS View Post
    bros., until now, yong car ko pa rin ang gamit ko, and i have not yet cause it to be repainted, pero pinahilamosan ko lang ng konti yong back part. lately, napapaisip na naman ako. kasi nga, magastos talaga ang maintenance ng galant compared to compact and/or econo cars. so, naiisipan ko na naman na, gagastosan ko pa ba sya para pagandahin at i-restore sa almost brand new condition, and i will spend about 100-200k, well worth pa kayang gumastos ako ng ganito to preserve her? or palaspagin ko na lang sya at next year or after 2 years, bibili na lang ako ng 2nd hand pa rin pero newer na compact/small cars like vios, city, etc. kasi practical at pang-city driving. kaya lang when i sit at the vios driver's seat, naku, masikip para sa akin, i stand 5'10" kasi at nasanay na ako sa spacious car. and i'm a family man w/ 2 kids, malapit ng mag-3 kasi preggy si mrs. so, i guess, i will still keep my galant as long as parts are available.
    From experience, no matter how much you spend and how many parts you'll replace, attaining "brand new car condition" is pretty unattainable and when you look at the economics of it, in two years you'll spend more than the actual value of the car whether you sell it in good condition or not.

Keep the Galant maintained but you should consider saving up to buy a newer vehicle that can accomodate your expanding family and will be more efficient to run around. Then you'll have the luxury of having your beloved Galant as an extra car and toy to fix as you please while you have the other car to rely on for all around duties. My officemate did exactly that; he kept his Galant VR for extra car duties (uses it 2x a week) then he bought a brand new Mitsu Adventure for all around duties.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Have you tried riding in the newer subcompacts lately?

Despite looking small, these make great use of the space.
    i was not able to drive them, pero kinilatis ko yong kia rio and 1 suzuki, i just forget the particular model, mukhang medyo ok naman ang space. You may be right that there might be new compact cars but spacious inside, mas kailangan ko kasi yong ganitong klaseng car kasi pang-city driving lang naman and short trips, and mas madaling ihanap ng parking space. i live in a developing city in a province. But i'm not yet planning to buy one at this moment. thanks for your comment!

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Add ko lang na I also like the design and look of a particular old car.
    May I know what car is that? Baka mamahalin naman like MB, BMW, etc. hehe! kahit luma na, maganda at malakas pa rin ang dating.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    From experience, no matter how much you spend and how many parts you'll replace, attaining "brand new car condition" is pretty unattainable and when you look at the economics of it, in two years you'll spend more than the actual value of the car whether you sell it in good condition or not.

Keep the Galant maintained but you should consider saving up to buy a newer vehicle that can accomodate your expanding family and will be more efficient to run around. Then you'll have the luxury of having your beloved Galant as an extra car and toy to fix as you please while you have the other car to rely on for all around duties. My officemate did exactly that; he kept his Galant VR for extra car duties (uses it 2x a week) then he bought a brand new Mitsu Adventure for all around duties.
    you're right bro. this is exactly what i am planning. thanks!

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    ^ and i think it is not really practical for me to buy a new car at this moment. siguro, after how many years pa, and a newer slightly used car would be sufficient. impractical din kasi sa akin ang brand new unless siguro, swertehen sa hanapbuhay at umabot sa point na di na manghihinayang gumastos ng malaki. imagine, for 2 years and 4 months eh, 10,000 kilometers pa lang ang tinakbo ng car ko including my travel from manila to sorsogon, and for daily driving ko pa sya except pag may sira na kailangang ipaayos in which case, matatambay sa shop for how many days while i'm waiting for the parts.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rockiee_s View Post
    siguro ganito....

if you are the type of person who only drives and knows nothing about taking care of cars, then, maybe you better buy a new car. malamang, lalabas na mga sira after 5 years.

but if you are the type of person who not only drives but really takes care of your ride as if its more important than your wife, then i dont see any reason why you need to buy a new car as long as you are still happy with the car.
    hehehe! i take care of my car but not necessarily that "as if its more important than my wife". hehe! But even granting that i can afford to buy a new one, it's really my preference to keep my ride and or appliances as long as they are serviceable and parts are available. My motorcyle is 11 years old, my car is already 15 years old but just 2 years and 4 months pa lang ang ownership ko, and my refrigerator is already 19 years old.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Keep your old car vs. buying a new car?