New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Been looking to test drive the Jetta, but because limited stocks, it's hard to get to test one. Tried the Civic 1.8E and it's nice too. May naka compare na ba nun dalawa?

Everything else equal in performance, I'd prefer to get the Jetta dahil diesel. Never had a diesel car so gusto ko rin subukan.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by olats View Post
    Been looking to test drive the Jetta, but because limited stocks, it's hard to get to test one. Tried the Civic 1.8E and it's nice too. May naka compare na ba nun dalawa?

Everything else equal in performance, I'd prefer to get the Jetta dahil diesel. Never had a diesel car so gusto ko rin subukan.

One thing I can say about the Jetta, it seems the fuel gauge is "broken". The fuel indicator seems to be stuck in "full" and you might not have the patience to wait for it for your next full tank of diesel. Another thing, the car is very silent for a diesel.

What is "annoying" is that the way you open the headlights. It's not the usual switch that I've been accustomed to which is the "stick" on your left. Instead, it has a similar switch like the Trailblazer.

One more thing, there's a technique if ever you want to lift the wipers. Again, it's not the usual way of lifting it.

If we are to talk about PMS, you'll be bringing the Jetta to casa every 15,000 km or one year whichever comes first.

I have no experience with the new Civic, so let's wait for *jut703 and other owners.

Now, my recommendation? Get the Mazda 6!
    Jetta Base model v Civic base model

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Either car will be fine but I have to go with the Civic as to its ease of maintenance. The 1.8L engine of Honda has proven its reliability for 12 years.

The Jetta 2.0L TDI is quick for a compact as its turbo diesel engine generates a hefty amount of torque. It is thrifty on fuel. Also, the Jetta platform feels more stable. Parts availability may be a challenge later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Either car will be fine but I have to go with the Civic as to its ease of maintenance. The 1.8L engine of Honda has proven its reliability for 12 years.

The Jetta 2.0L TDI is quick for a compact as its turbo diesel engine generates a hefty amount of torque. It is thrifty on fuel. Also, the Jetta platform feels more stable. Parts availability may be a challenge later.

Meron na ba vw specialized shops? Swerte mga subie owners meron fusionR

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    Meron na ba vw specialized shops? Swerte mga subie owners meron fusionR

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Your best bet for shops who spevialize with Euro cars. Audi cars share engines and platforms with VW.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by olats View Post

Everything else equal in performance, I'd prefer to get the Jetta dahil diesel. Never had a diesel car so gusto ko rinp subukan.

I was in your shoes before - eventually bought the Civic. Jetta Base model v Civic base model

The Civic feels more modern both inside and out, has a wider dealer network and better parts availability which matters to me since I rack up high mileage.

A similar scenario over a decade ago was between the Focus TDCi and Civic FD. The Focus had a diesel and dual clutch transmission like the Jetta and was getting rave reviews, but 10 years after look how many Focuses are still on the road and compare that to the FD. Parts are also much easier to find for the FD, and resale value is higher.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I was in your shoes before - eventually bought the Civic. Jetta Base model v Civic base model

The Civic feels more modern both inside and out, has a wider dealer network and better parts availability which matters to me since I rack up high mileage.

A similar scenario over a decade ago was between the Focus TDCi and Civic FD. The Focus had a diesel and dual clutch transmission like the Jetta and was getting rave reviews, but 10 years after look how many Focuses are still on the road and compare that to the FD. Parts are also much easier to find for the FD, and resale value is higher.

No matter how expensive is your camera, with all the pricey lenses, and all the accessories that you can buy, but you don't have the skill in taking the picture, it won't look good.

Remembering all the places I had the chance to visit in some parts of the globe, all I have are memories and some crappy pictures.

How I wish I had the skill like yours.

Going back, the only consideration for the Jetta is because it's a diesel engine. A full tank of fuel will take you for a very long road without worrying much about having a "lead foot" and surely, you can get back home. The Civic is also thrifty, so I've heard that it can reach 23 km/L on a highway drive.

I like the way how the Civic looks like. The taillights cannot be mistaken with others, just like a signature.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Jetta MK7 sana eh noh? Much better comparison sana lol.

If di ka naman urgent buyer, wait for the Civic facelift, although minor lang changes, at least sa US. Bumpers lang ganun.

Di katulad nung Elantra facelift, parang all new model na eh.

Baka mag milagro din HCPI and bring the Civic diesel 9AT 1.6L (same with the CR-V with push button shift selector).

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    No matter how expensive is your camera, with all the pricey lenses, and all the accessories that you can buy, but you don't have the skill in taking the picture, it won't look good.

Remembering all the places I had the chance to visit in some parts of the globe, all I have are memories and some crappy pictures.

How I wish I had the skill like yours.

Going back, the only consideration for the Jetta is because it's a diesel engine. A full tank of fuel will take you for a very long road without worrying much about having a "lead foot" and surely, you can get back home. The Civic is also thrifty, so I've heard that it can reach 23 km/L on a highway drive.

I like the way how the Civic looks like. The taillights cannot be mistaken with others, just like a signature.
    Thanks bro. I just used my phone's camera for that. You're right about the skills bit - which is why I'm trying to hone more skills rather than buy more things. You can have a nice camera, nice car, nice clothes or nice whatever - but if you can't take good pictures, drive well, or carry yourself well, sayang lang.

Anyway BTT - agree on the Civic's tail lights. They're my favorite part of the exterior. Even with just a silhouette, you can easily identify that it's a Civic FC.

And yes, the Civic does 20+ km/L on the highway if you're light on the throttle.

I'm sure the Jetta can do better though, and you don't have to baby the throttle as much because diesels don't consume much more fuel when driven hard unlike gas engines.

Last edited by jut703; August 26th, 2018 at 02:31 AM.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Yes, I do like the way the Civic looks. Parang more spacious pa. I have an hrv, and if in not mistaken, parehas ng engine and tranny with the Civic 1.8E. Fuel consumption talaga advantage nun Jetta. Possibly, the safety features too? Body wise malamang lamang din VW kasi Asian cars latang lata sa nipis?

With regard to maintenance, car plan so company ang may sagot for the next 5 years. So I take care of my cars naman, and resale value is not much of a consideration. I'm maintaining a 20 year old bmw now, and wala pako balak dispose until it's too expensive to maintain na. Sirain na kumbaga. So reliability ang true concern. Honda Civic? Naabuso namin yun dati. Halos parang 4x4 sa naranasan kasi nalusong ko na sa mataas na baha at parang off road sa bundok (erpats ko ang grabe umabuso ng sasakyan kaya alam ko ang sakit ng ulo kapag di ka matuto mag alaga).

Experience ko lang with VW, yun Polo. Wife used to drive one. Sakit sa ulo kasi di talaga kaya nun cooling system init satin. Yun, sandali lang din tinagal.

Civic, tried and tested ko na dati, at di naman nalayo sa HRV ko that I've owned and loved for the past 2 years. Jetta? Baka lang masubukan ang iba.

Salamat sa mga inputs mga sir.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast