New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 158 123451151101 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Hi guys! me and my friend was on a passionate debate on what's the better type of transmission. He plans to buy a new car one in place of his old A/T car. Personally, having driven a car M/T for 5 yrs now, i encouraged him to get a M/T instead of his usual A/T. I haven't driven A/T cars that much, so i really really can't tell the better one objectively. Based on car racing games naman... manual trannys get the better edge, d ba? and i prefer it too. Pros and Cons..., maintenance cost, acceleration.. etc. Love to hear your insights mga pare. I appreciate it!
    Last edited by emarqz; February 26th, 2007 at 05:49 PM. Reason: wrong contraction

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by emarqz View Post
    Hi guys! me and my friend was on a passionate debate on what's the better type of transmission. He plan's to buy a new car one in place of his old A/T car. Personally, having driven a car M/T for 5 yrs now, i encouraged him to get a M/T instead of his usual A/T. I haven't driven A/T cars that much, so i really really can't tell the better one objectively. Based on car racing games naman... manual trannys get the better edge, d ba? and i prefer it too. Pros and Cons..., maintenance cost, acceleration.. etc. Love to hear your insights mga pare. I appreciate it!
    the debate on the which is better has been going on and on....

Is your friend's daily commute to work & home filled with traffic? Does he appreciate the feel of a manual tranny? Does he actually push a car to near it's limits?

Personally, if you drive through traffic often, you'll learn to love having an automatic tranny.

If he loves to push a car's limits and willing to live with the drawback of a manual tranny in traffic, then go for the manual tranny.

Racing and the daily driven commute aren't the same. I love to race cars but the reality of the traffic in metro manila made me love having an automatic tranny.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    There's no definitive "better". I'm a staunch defender of manual transmissions, but then, I'll be the first to admit that driving one as a daily commuter can be a right pain in the knees.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Another subjective thread. You won't get a good answer because both transmission merit their own advantages and disadvantages.

If you want to be more specific, your question can be answered. But as it stands, it all depends on the end user (driver) and his preference.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Right now i am using automatic tranny... mejo malakas sa gas especially sa traffic but ofcourse it is easier for me to drive no hussle to my knees. Pero nami-miss ko yung manual especially pag long driving going to the province, nami-miss ko yung malakas na arangkada.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Another subjective thread. You won't get a good answer because both transmission merit their own advantages and disadvantages.

If you want to be more specific, your question can be answered. But as it stands, it all depends on the end user (driver) and his preference.
    Agreed.

If I'm doing a lot of city driving or even lazy cross-country/cruise control travel like here, I favor an A/T. If I'm charging up a mountain with lots of twisty roads and climbs/dips, I prefer a M/T which allows a good bit of engine-braking and more precise gear use.

On high climb/dip city driving like in San Francisco CA, I prefer a compromise like the Shiftronic of our car.

madaming threads na about this dito sa tsikot,a...search mo, karamihan nasa car talk,e...alam ko madami na ding nag-kasamaan ng loob at di nagkaunawaan dahil sa debateng ito

parang debate ito ng kung alin nauna: itlog o ibon?

matic liteace ko, manual ang maxima ko... so user preference and capabilities lang yan magfafall...

ako, kung tipiran hanap ko at smoothness, CVT, otherwise manual tranny.

but now i truely prefer the multi-personality CVT of the city/jazz->

1.CVT(regular driving),
    2.sporty CVT(sporty regular driving),
    3.7-speed mode(auto mode 7-speed shifting for regular driving),
    4.sporty 7-speed mode(auto 7-speed shifting at high revs),
    5.7-speed manual mode (well, time you want to be in manual mode/aggresive highway drving)

parang 5-in on ung car na yun

and anytime i'll take a nissan murano CVT....
    Last edited by alwayz_yummy; February 26th, 2007 at 05:33 PM.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    both has pros and cons to consider. a/t's comfort can be attained in exchange of
    higher fuel consumption, brakes, and battery among those.

m/t's burden during heavy traffic really is annoying but the versatility esp
    during emrgency acceleration is unquestionably superior. the last thing
    is you can't fall asleep with m/t.

for some of the comparisons this could help.

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showt...ht=manual+auto

9. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    uh una...
    Based on car racing games naman... manual trannys get the better edge, d ba?
    hehe, di ata masyado'ng realistic yung reference.
    anyway, for the past 19yrs, been driving mainly M/Ts, with occassional A/Ts. my take on the topic: is basically the same with the previous posts, it all depends on the driver's needs, so to speak. personally, I've come to appreciate the A/Ts for city driving riddled with traffic jams.

and consider mo din budget mo for maintenace-->in due time kung di mo inalagaan ang matic, mas madugo sa gastos yan, compared sa manual.

pag nag-sliding->
    a/t overhaul costs 30,000-100,000 w/o gauranteed na titino, surplus naman cost from 7,500(ung sa 2c-te ng 4wd liteace ko)-30,000(sa JDM urvan 4wd/hilux-surf 4wd),plus 2500 for ATF and 3-5000 labour, pero sure na titino ang takbo. ang m/t naman 10,000-15,000 lang(palit clutch,release bearing, at pressure plate, worst case is nagkaroon ng tama ung flywheel.

pero kung inalagaan, ang matic/cvt mas matipid sa maintenace than your matic->change oil lang(a/t)(2,500-3000 ung 8-10lt of ATF+drain time lang) than clutch-release-pressure plate replacement(m/t)

Page 1 of 158 123451151101 ... LastLast