New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Up ko lang po ulit.

Additional question ko po is yun po bang Mothers FX Spray Wax ay pwedeng ipamalit sa Step 3 ng Mothers? Or is the FX Spray Wax just complimentary after I apply Step 3?

Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by madkatz View Post
    4. Tire Black - Microtex Tire Black or Red Carpet Tire Cream from BB, don't get the silicone and oil based ones like Rain Harry
    Sis tanong ko lang what's wrong with silicon or oil based ones?

BTW, you're posts are really helpful!

3. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Up ko lang ulit.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SebLucas View Post
    Up ko lang po ulit.

Additional question ko po is yun po bang Mothers FX Spray Wax ay pwedeng ipamalit sa Step 3 ng Mothers? Or is the FX Spray Wax just complimentary after I apply Step 3?

Thanks in advance!
    Its just a complimentary step after step 3, i honestly haven't used any spray wax except for Optimum Car Wax which is a true wax not really a spray wax, it just comes in a liquid form, that can outlast any pure wax, FX spray wax is just used for prolonging the durability of Step 3

5. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by anonemus View Post

Silicone family is a very very large group of polymers, some are ok if used on rubber but most which are present in my guess about 80% of what cheapo car washes use out there make the rubber brittle, these tire blacks can really make the rubber shiny but the trade off is that it also becomes very hard, its like layering your rubber with a laminate or lets say a clear enamel, its very shiny but the silicone that bonds to the rubber also sets hard, now with prolonged usage these can crack and cause damage to the rubber, oils based tire blacks really look wet and can even darken the rubber but rubber and oil does not mix, if you ever work in a industrial setting thats full of oils you would know that the number one cause of electrical wiring shorts is caused by oil slowly dissolving the rubber parts of the electrical wires, oil has this weird ability to dissolve rubber once exposed to longer periods thats why we don't recommend silicone and oil based tire blacks to be safe, actually when it comes to oil based tire blacks we haven't found any single one thats great, and as of silicone based tire blacks there are some that pass out standards however its just about 2 to 3 of the more than 50 we tested

Here's some stories thats happened first hand to people we know

An aunt of mine recently changed her tires and went to Sagada, thankfully before they reached the dangerous road the tire blew 15 minutes earlier before they reach the cliffy part, when they examined tire it was very very stiff and it has small cracks on the side wall, the point where the rubber blew wasn't on the threaded part it was on the sidewall and when they went to have the tire changed the guy at the vulcanizing shop shook his head and said the rubber became too brittle already, they were asked if they have purchased an old stocked tire but when he checked again the tire was a recent model so it could not have been an old stock and the threads were still fresh so its definitely haven't seen that much mileage they tried to isolate the culprit and it boiled down to the tire black the local carwash used, i accompanied my aunt to that carwash and bought a small sample of the tire black used, i used a sponge to apply it on an old tire that we don't use anymore and the sponge after 4 days actually became very stiff on the part i used to apply the tire black

There's also another case a friend of mine used a certain popular brand in Ace hardware, he had a white painted mags, he went to the local carwash and had it applied to his car and the carwash boy got so excited because he was handed the tip beforehand that he generously applied the tire black on the wheels, and lo and behold the tireblack splattered all over the paint and the mags, 2 days later it actually stained the affected parts yellow, we tried polishing the paint with compound and polish and it won't come off, we tried to use Mothers power ball and Power polish for the mags and it too didn't come off

I know lots and lots more stories about these things but the bottom line is be very careful about what tire black you use, i would recommend people invest more on a tire black than on a wax, i would actually have my tires look brown and dirty than have some unknown and untested tire black applied on my rubber, the most frequent case of tire black damaging the rubber are the sidewalls cracking and the sidewalls browning, sidewall browning is indicative of oil based tire black dissolving the rubber, what worse is that these sit longer inbetween crevices.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2009

Silicone family is a very very large group of polymers, some are ok if used on rubber but most which are present in my guess about 80% of what cheapo car washes use out there make the rubber brittle, these tire blacks can really make the rubber shiny but the trade off is that it also becomes very hard, its like layering your rubber with a laminate or lets say a clear enamel, its very shiny but the silicone that bonds to the rubber also sets hard, now with prolonged usage these can crack and cause damage to the rubber, oils based tire blacks really look wet and can even darken the rubber but rubber and oil does not mix, if you ever work in a industrial setting thats full of oils you would know that the number one cause of electrical wiring shorts is caused by oil slowly dissolving the rubber parts of the electrical wires, oil has this weird ability to dissolve rubber once exposed to longer periods thats why we don't recommend silicone and oil based tire blacks to be safe, actually when it comes to oil based tire blacks we haven't found any single one thats great, and as of silicone based tire blacks there are some that pass out standards however its just about 2 to 3 of the more than 50 we tested

Here's some stories thats happened first hand to people we know

An aunt of mine recently changed her tires and went to Sagada, thankfully before they reached the dangerous road the tire blew 15 minutes earlier before they reach the cliffy part, when they examined tire it was very very stiff and it has small cracks on the side wall, the point where the rubber blew wasn't on the threaded part it was on the sidewall and when they went to have the tire changed the guy at the vulcanizing shop shook his head and said the rubber became too brittle already, they were asked if they have purchased an old stocked tire but when he checked again the tire was a recent model so it could not have been an old stock and the threads were still fresh so its definitely haven't seen that much mileage they tried to isolate the culprit and it boiled down to the tire black the local carwash used, i accompanied my aunt to that carwash and bought a small sample of the tire black used, i used a sponge to apply it on an old tire that we don't use anymore and the sponge after 4 days actually became very stiff on the part i used to apply the tire black

There's also another case a friend of mine used a certain popular brand in Ace hardware, he had a white painted mags, he went to the local carwash and had it applied to his car and the carwash boy got so excited because he was handed the tip beforehand that he generously applied the tire black on the wheels, and lo and behold the tireblack splattered all over the paint and the mags, 2 days later it actually stained the affected parts yellow, we tried polishing the paint with compound and polish and it won't come off, we tried to use Mothers power ball and Power polish for the mags and it too didn't come off

I know lots and lots more stories about these things but the bottom line is be very careful about what tire black you use, i would recommend people invest more on a tire black than on a wax, i would actually have my tires look brown and dirty than have some unknown and untested tire black applied on my rubber, the most frequent case of tire black damaging the rubber are the sidewalls cracking and the sidewalls browning, sidewall browning is indicative of oil based tire black dissolving the rubber, what worse is that these sit longer inbetween crevices.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2010

madkatz, if silicon based dressings aren't advisable for tires, how about silicon based protectants like the one from microtex?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by watusi View Post
    madkatz, if silicon based dressings aren't advisable for tires, how about silicon based protectants like the one from microtex?
    Those from Microtex are ok, i've personally tested them to check which pass our standards and which doesn't and with Microtex Sun Shield it hasn't given us any problems since we've been testing it pre-market launch. And even with Tire Blacks its not 100% silicone based tire blacks are bad for your tires there are still a few out there that are silicone based but isn't harmful to tires but the majority like 80 to even 90% of silicone based dressings out there are harmful to tires, actually most imported brands abroad that are clear are silicone based but they use the highest quality silicone thats why its not harmful and thats why they are also expensive, as with the local scenario cheap is better for business little do they know cheaper silicone means bigger problems especially for their clients. but have been some that we tested that passed our standards but also cost a lot at around 1k per liter.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by madkatz View Post
    Those from Microtex are ok, i've personally tested them to check which pass our standards and which doesn't and with Microtex Sun Shield it hasn't given us any problems since we've been testing it pre-market launch. And even with Tire Blacks its not 100% silicone based tire blacks are bad for your tires there are still a few out there that are silicone based but isn't harmful to tires but the majority like 80 to even 90% of silicone based dressings out there are harmful to tires, actually most imported brands abroad that are clear are silicone based but they use the highest quality silicone thats why its not harmful and thats why they are also expensive, as with the local scenario cheap is better for business little do they know cheaper silicone means bigger problems especially for their clients. but have been some that we tested that passed our standards but also cost a lot at around 1k per liter.
    thanks again for enlightening me

10. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Mga ser may nabasa ako na just use carnauba wax and it will last for 3 months then just wash your car regularly. Tama po ba ito? Gaano nyo kadalas i-wax car nyo and what brand?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
Your car maintenance regimen