New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Hi guys, thought that you might help me with my problem regarding tree sap/stain that randomly falls on the paint surface of my car. Not a big deal but kinda annoying when it happens over and over again.

Just last week, I waxed my car using Microtex's NanoGlos and gave it a good curing time before using the car outside. After a couple of days, I noticed that it had one small sap/stain on the hood - I'm sure it was not there before waxing and curing it. I quickly wiped it using QD and it left an etching in the surface of the paint! How come? Correct me if I'm wrong but should it not cause etching when there's a layered wax on the surface?

Anyway, how can I safely remove the etching from the surface of the paint? tried it with a bug, tar, sap remover but still no luck. Your help would be appreciated.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    it's safe to say that most paint protection cannot withstand sap or droppings. the sooner you remove them, the lesser the wasted time and effort.

you may try swirl or scratch removers polish with light repetitive rubbing but don't chase the etch after about 2-4 tries. it may have set too deep and you might dig into a bigger hole/headache.

this has been discussed extensively in the stickied threads around here. you may also search specifically about sap etches paint. you'll find that you'll need to polish it off and warned to not chase it deeply. unless you have a paint thickness gauge. you're the one with the white pickup? goodluck

3. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for your reply indiej. I tried searching for similar problems here but I'm not quite sure if its about etchings.

Actually, these stuffs had happened before and already consulted a local detailing shop here in Davao. They have been able to tackle out some of the etchings using the Meguiar's #83 hand applied, but left very micro scratches.

Is there a proven solution on how to tackle out the etchings without harming the clearcoat? I'd like to save some of it and I don't want it to be too thin in a matter of time when using such abrasives like swirl/scratch removers.

Oh and BTW, I'm not the one with the white pickup. Mine is a silver navara.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by franster View Post
    Thanks for your reply indiej. I tried searching for similar problems here but I'm not quite sure if its about etchings.
    i avoided the verb google cos nowadays that has a bit of a negative tone. i meant for you to search the web and don't confine yourself to this forum. afterward you'll be giving us advice in no time.

Actually, these stuffs had happened before and already consulted a local detailing shop here in Davao. They have been able to tackle out some of the etchings using the Meguiar's #83 hand applied, but left very micro scratches.
    pwede talaga yan mangyari sa dakpi ng megs. it's not always the case but if it happens, you'll need a denser, softer foam or less aggressive polish like M step 1. M83 named dual action cleaner polish would have you assume it's gentle like a Step 1 wax cleaner. use swirlx for minor scratches.

another possibility is that those are left over scratches that are deeper than most. kaya dapat may 50/50 o before/after shots. i usually leave those RIDS be or what i call an 80% polishing job.

Is there a proven solution on how to tackle out the etchings without harming the clearcoat? I'd like to save some of it and I don't want it to be too thin in a matter of time when using such abrasives like swirl/scratch removers.
    if you're quite sure the etch is not progressing you can use fillers. but if you're bent on digging, you may cause a Strike Through. you'll be rubbing out clear coat for sure if you want them gone. a metaphor is turning a crack on a plain into a valley. at the later pages of DTfN#3 i posted an Autoglym article about droppings. from what i gather, it's the changes in temperature that allows the paint to "swallow" the droppings and cause etches regardless of their ph. now i wonder if it's the same for Any foreign object on the paint.

Oh and BTW, I'm not the one with the white pickup. Mine is a silver navara.
    silver it is. and iirc you've done a strike through on your hood before.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    one more thing, DACP has diminishing abrasives. It's supposed to be ran for some time, til it clears or until almost dry. it's for the Abrasives to Diminish in size or roughness. if you stop halfway, you may be left with visible swirls.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    dapat siguro binasa mo muna ng tubig yung tree sap para lumambot bago mo pinunasan...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by indiej View Post
    i avoided the verb google cos nowadays that has a bit of a negative tone. i meant for you to search the web and don't confine yourself to this forum. afterward you'll be giving us advice in no time.

pwede talaga yan mangyari sa dakpi ng megs. it's not always the case but if it happens, you'll need a denser, softer foam or less aggressive polish like M step 1. M83 named dual action cleaner polish would have you assume it's gentle like a Step 1 wax cleaner. use swirlx for minor scratches.

another possibility is that those are left over scratches that are deeper than most. kaya dapat may 50/50 o before/after shots. i usually leave those RIDS be or what i call an 80% polishing job.

if you're quite sure the etch is not progressing you can use fillers. but if you're bent on digging, you may cause a Strike Through. you'll be rubbing out clear coat for sure if you want them gone. a metaphor is turning a crack on a plain into a valley. at the later pages of DTfN#3 i posted an Autoglym article about droppings. from what i gather, it's the changes in temperature that allows the paint to "swallow" the droppings and cause etches regardless of their ph. now i wonder if it's the same for Any foreign object on the paint.

silver it is. and iirc you've done a strike through on your hood before.
    Yeah, tried searching on other sites as well and found that claying would most probably the solution on my etching problems. Am I right on this?

Yeah it was me but the last time was bird poop and now, sap etchings. Wow I'm impressed with your memory.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    dapat siguro binasa mo muna ng tubig yung tree sap para lumambot bago mo pinunasan...
    tried that pero mukhang too late na nung nakita ko yung stain. Parang ang bilis kumapit ng stain sa modern automotive paints + the weather condition nowadays.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by franster View Post
    Yeah, tried searching on other sites as well and found that claying would most probably the solution on my etching problems. Am I right on this?
    the claying advice is for removing residues. it is good practice to clay before you polish to ensure no superficial or embedded contaminants are being spread out further. work with a clean surface, with clean tools and gloved hands.

An etch, swirl, or scratch is not Some thing to be removed, it is actually Nothing, an absence of clear coat. we "remove" them by bevelling or flattening the affected area. It is one of the worst things that can happen to car paint reconditioning-wise. you get a yukky feeling when you see these blotches like on a despicable stickied up magazine

there's also the idea that clay may not pull out embedded contaminants and just shear out the top parts, hence the emergence of decontamination products for a more thorough cleanup.

Topped my car with wax but stain/sap still etches on paint!