New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdm View Post
    IMHO, I dont subscribe with your assessment or idea about these alternatives. For me, they are feasible and realistic alternatives in the near future and its a good thing this Arroyo government realized their importance with the passage of the RE law and the climate control law. the Biofuels act of Zubiri also is a landmark law.The Agenda 21 (sustainable development) of the Ramos administration should be continued by future Philippine govenment and our adherance to the Kyoto Protocol should be sustained.

Of course, everything has a cost. But such externalities and spillovers are alot manageable and acceptable compared to our over-dependence on hydrocarbons (getting costly) and its impact to the environment.

I forgot to mentioned windpower, which I think the government has pending investment proposals coming from foreign and local investors.

The era of the coal powerplants, diesel powerplants must come to an end.

Now, are you telling me these are not alternatives?

What is your alternatives then if some ecological economists' idea that eventually hydrocarbon will run out?

By the way, are you an ecological economist?

I really want to know.

Because all sorts of alternatives put forward by ecological experts seem to be not feasible to you.
    I am not saying it is not feasible. I am just saying we should be prepared if and when you implement a plan. As we know, heads do roll when things go wrong in the Philippines with all the finger pointing being done.

One plan that might be feasible in deforested lands would be a wood gassifier powerplant. A single wod gassifier power plant would be supported by a certain amount of man made forest of fast growing trees. The trees are harvested for their wood to be used to fuel the wood gassifier. The ash can be used as fertilizer. The system would be carbon neutral.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Philippines must re-think its policy on Nuclear Energy. In my opinion, if the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant was activated in the mid 80's, the country should be reaping the benefits of lower electricity generation cost, which in turn could have made its industries more competitive. Perhaps the country should by now have a couple Nuclear power plants. There are very few industrialized countries which "do not" have nuclear power plants. Our SE Asian neighbors are in the process of building their own Nuclear plants.

Blame our politicians.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji_DCP View Post
    The Philippines must re-think its policy on Nuclear Energy. In my opinion, if the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant was activated in the mid 80's, the country should be reaping the benefits of lower electricity generation cost, which in turn could have made its industries more competitive. Perhaps the country should by now have a couple Nuclear power plants. There are very few industrialized countries which "do not" have nuclear power plants. Our SE Asian neighbors are in the process of building their own Nuclear plants.

Blame our politicians.
    Well, one nuclear power station might not lower rates but a few more would definitely lower power rates to better levels.

Personally I do not see a valid reason why we should avoid nuclear power. The only major problem would be nuclear waste disposal but that part could be done by on-site long term storage or by selling the material to other countries who can re-process it for other uses.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I believe the next leaders of this country should review its policies on Nuclear Energy. There are probably more effective ways and means to dispose of nuclear waste now a days.

I am just wondering, how our government handles the documentation requirements of electric vehicles, if there are any running around in the metro roads, aside from one or two e-jeepneys?

Questions I have in mind are:
    Is the LTO yearly registration cheaper or free? Any incentives?
    Do they have a special series license plates?
    How would the LTO/PNP handle electric motor engine conversions of existing gasoline engine vehicles? More red tape?

Any electric cars with air conditioning?? Otherwise, they dont seem viable in Metro Manila roads under the sweltering afternoon heat.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Nuclear... well.. the only reason to do it is because we've spent on it, already... but there are analysts who point out that the cost-effectiveness of Nuclear power isn't really as big as its proponents would have you believe.

-

Hydro-electric... oh... what a can of worms... it took Ondoy for Manilans to find out what we in Laguna have known for years... dams suck. Hydroelectricity is nice and fine if you don't live downstream from the dam... :hysterical: ...but the ecological damage is a valid concern.

-

Windpower is interesting... but there are a lot of problems with the technology... the cost of windpower stations... maintenance (which is a big thing with windpower... your generators are outdoors and exposed to the elements) and the fickleness of the wind.

-

I do believe wind, solar, hydro and geothermal power will make up much of our powergrid in the future (hell... we've been ahead of the curve in geothermal for decades)... but like GH says... there are still issues to overcome.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007

Blame our politicians.
    Korean Power or Kepco (after inspecting it for free using Korean nuclear experts) just reported that BNPP's can still be rehabilitated and used. And Congress, led by Cong. Mark Cojuangco wants to see BNPP delivering power as soon as possible.

Anyway, if they can run the BNPP safely (and dispose the reactor's waste properly), why not...

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    ...I am just wondering, how our government handles the documentation requirements of electric vehicles, if there are any running around in the metro roads, aside from one or two e-jeepneys?...

Questions I have in mind are:
    Is the LTO yearly registration cheaper or free? Any incentives?
    Do they have a special series license plates?
    How would the LTO/PNP handle electric motor engine conversions of existing gasoline engine vehicles? More red tape?

Any electric cars with air conditioning?? Otherwise, they dont seem viable in Metro Manila roads under the sweltering afternoon heat.
    What I know is that they have orange plates..we can ask Romski123 about these because I would like to ask the same questions...

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Is the LTO yearly registration cheaper or free? nope its the same

Any incentives?
    Do they have a special series license plates? yes theyre orange.

How would the LTO/PNP handle electric motor engine conversions of existing gasoline engine vehicles? More red tape? we havent tried it yet

Any electric cars with air conditioning?? no aircon yet for the ejeepney. but for the reva there is!
    Last edited by ghosthunter; October 25th, 2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: removing faulty text styling quotes

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by romski123 View Post
    Any electric [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]cars[/COLOR][/COLOR] with air conditioning?? no aircon yet for the ejeepney. but for the reva there is!
    Is AC in an electric worth paying 600-700k more over similar vehicles? Nope. Other two seaters in the same vein as the REVAi were projected to cost around 250-350k... I wonder if it'll be possible to customize a local AC unit with an electric compressor.

-

*romski: how long did it take them to process the plates for your e-jeep?
    Last edited by niky; October 25th, 2009 at 03:55 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007

Manufacturer Aptera Motors, Inc.
    Production 2009 (planned)
    Assembly United States Predecessor Aptera Mk-1
    Class Subcompact Body style(s) 2-door three wheeled car Layout Front-engine, front-wheel drive layout

Wheelbase 111 in (282 cm)[2] Length 173 in (439 cm)[2] Width 91 in (231 cm)[2] Height 53 in (135 cm)[2]
    Curb weight 1,500 lb (680 kg)[2] Fuel capacity 2e:10-13 kWh
    Lithium iron phosphate battery[2]
    2h: 5 gallons of gasoline
    Electric range 2e: 100 mi (160 km)[2]
    2h: 600 mi (970 km)
    Designer Eleven

Source: Wikipedia
    Last edited by jpdm; October 25th, 2009 at 05:52 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
NEWS: Rise OF electric VEHICLES