New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Originally Posted by ehnriko

... all they need to do is carry or integrate a small portable generator to charge the batteries.

This basically makes the e-jeep a Hybrid per se. which literally makes it no different in essence to a Prius.

Originally Posted by donbuggy

Adding an engine and a generator to an electric vehicle makes it a series hybrid. The Prius is a parallel hybrid.

In series hybrids the engine is not mechanically connected to the wheels. It is simpler and cheaper than a parallel hybrid but not as efficient at high speeds.

In parallel hybrids the engine and electric motor are both connected to the wheels. It is more complicated and more expensive.

The series hybrid configuration is good enough for the low speed, stop-and-go traffic the jeepney goes through. The hybrid electric jeepney can have a longer range than the e-jeepney and can replace all the normal jeepneys in the city because of better [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]fuel [COLOR=blue ! important]economy[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. Additional bonus: air conditioning is possible.

Aptera Motors' 3 wheeler electric car

Engine(s) 2e: Electric motor
    2h: Gasoline generator + Electric Motor[1]

Source Wikipedia

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    From AI

:hihihi:

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    From AI

:hihihi:
    Yep, this picture answers my questions on the EV registration/Plate number.

How about for gas engine conversions to electric motors like in the picture below? How would the LTO, handle this?

http://www.rowetel.com/ev.html
    Though at A$8000 conversion cost for the car above, this is not economically viable for most of us.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Good Point Benjie!

Daihatsu Charade - Nice subject car for EV conversion... Go DCP Go! :-)

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The technology for conversion to EV is available. The net offers so many info. But the cost of the batteries and the motor is so prohibitive (for the average motorist), that as someone had suggested here, the money would be better used in buying fuel efficient gas/diesel vehicles.

I am just intrigue on how the government would handle the process of EV conversions.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji_DCP View Post
    The technology for conversion to EV is available. The net offers so many info. But the cost of the batteries and the motor is so prohibitive (for the average motorist), that as someone had suggested here, the money would be better used in buying fuel efficient gas/diesel vehicles.

I am just intrigue on how the government would handle the process of EV conversions.
    I have a friend who converted ANFRAs in the past into EV's. He somehow managed to get his cars licensed from LTO.

I might see him anytime soon... I'll also try to take a video of his nice EV in action.

His kits come from America using 5 to 15KW ADC motors, I test drove it a few months ago, I think they drive really good.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ehnriko View Post
    I have a friend who converted ANFRAs in the past into EV's. He somehow managed to get his cars licensed from LTO.

I might see him anytime soon... I'll also try to take a video of his nice EV in action.

His kits come from America using 5 to 15KW ADC motors, I test drove it a few months ago, I think they drive really good.
    *ehnriko, I would love to see these e-Anfras

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Guys, what would it take to convert an existing car to run on batteries? Given you guys have the costing on the e-jeepney, it might not be a long stretch to give a calculation on the price to convert an existing car to battery power and to have reasonable range and performance.

What do you say? It is not that I haven't done the exact same thing in the past but you might have a better grasp of the costing involved.

Say let us assume you will convert a Toyota Corolla AE89 has no power steering but the owner would like to retain power assisted brakes and aircon.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I've been looking at those kits. Really expensive brand new.

If you can get the transmission adapter plate, as well as the drive adapter, it should be relatively easy to build locally... and here you can use secondhand motors and refurbished secondhand batteries to keep the costs down.

EDIT: *ghosthunter: so... you want to give it a shot this time? I think the brakes thing can be handled by an electric vacuum booster, available commercially. As of yet, there are still no electric AC conversions, but I think one could be cobbled together using a small household unit compressor...
    Last edited by niky; October 26th, 2009 at 10:27 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    EDIT: *ghosthunter: so... you want to give it a shot this time? I think the brakes thing can be handled by an electric vacuum booster, available commercially. As of yet, there are still no electric AC conversions, but I think one could be cobbled together using a small household unit compressor...
    Well, it won't hurt to give it another project study to do some pencil pushing to analyze the costing versus performance of the conversion.

As we know, the conversion is totally possible with existing off-the-shelf parts with only the minimal requirement of custom manufactured parts (mainly the adapter plate to mount the electric motor to the existing transmission). It is just a matter of making it economically feasible.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
NEWS: Rise OF electric VEHICLES