New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Hello Tsikoteers.

Allow me to introduce myself. I am Autohistorian. I am an automotive enthusiast with an equal interest in history. It has been my lifelong dream to start a book project about Philippine Automotive History. I want this to be a text book for college students. My main goal is to educate the youth about what happened in our local automotive industry so that they may learn from it and maybe not make the same mistakes.

It might also touch on some history of our neighboring countries such as Thailand and Malaysia so that we can learn from their success.

I have asked the permission of Papa Tsikot and Jedi to start a thread in Tsikot.com so that we may gather data for the book in this very site. I think it is a very worthy cause. I already have started talks with a publisher who has published a book for another group that I belong to. We will launch that book on Entreprenuership in the coming months.

Re the book, I also want to interview the formal Car Manufacturers or Members of CAMPI so they can give their own history in the Philippines. I'll also put in indigenous/alternative modes of transport such as the pedicab, riles tulak-tulak, tricycle and the kuliglig. I also want to feature the various local auvs, and jeepneys as well.

I propose we use the following outline so that we don't get confused.

1.Introduction

Through the Years
    2. Pre-colonial times
    3. Spanish times

3.1 trams
    3.2 kalesa (it was popularized during colonial times but the term itself predates the era)

4. During the Second World War
    5. 1950 – 1999 (can be further broken down)
    6. 2000 – present (can be further broken down)

History of Manufacturers in the Philippines
    7. GM
    8. Ford
    9. Honda
    10. Isuzu
    11. Mitsubishi
    12. Nissan
    13. Toyota

Alternative Local Modes of Transportation
    14. Kalesas
    15. Riles tulak tulak
    16. Kuliglig
    17. Pedicabs (Padyak)
    18. Tricycles

Evolution of the Jeep to OTJ to Jeepney

19. Jeeps

19.1 MDJeepstar
    19.2 Lubar

20. OTJ

21. Jeepneys

21.1 Sarao
    21.2 Francisco
    21.3 Malaguena
    21.4 Lawin
    21.5 David

22. AUVs and Special Vehicles

22.1 Castro
    22.2 Sterling
    22.3 Panther
    22.4 Parejo
    22.5 Allana Motors
    22.6 Thoroughbred
    22.7 Carter
    22.8 Alana AMC Hammer
    22.9 Multicabs

23. Provincial Creations

23.1 Iloilo style Jeepneys
    23.2 Bacolod type Jeepneys
    23.3 Cebu Type Jeepneys

Of course the outline as well as the suggested topics are open to suggestions.

Well then, lets write the Philippine Automotive History!!
    Last edited by dprox; June 29th, 2007 at 02:54 AM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Lets support this project tsikoteers, malaking tulong ito lalo na sa future generation as a reference sa ating local automotive industry.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    A compendium on Philippine transport history such as this is long overdue. The sources are many but fragmented, and what better forum than Tsikot to gather and verify the facts!

History is pleasant to know, especially when you discover the achievements of your predecessors. But life is not all that rosy. It is not so pleasant to realize that we have suffered much, and that defeats, especially recent ones are too close to the present for comfort.

If we remember the triumphs, no matter how few, we will be encouraged. If we remember the humiliations, we must learn the lessons. But that will happen only if we remember.

Please accept my submission, not as moderator of this forum, but as principal of Disenyo Pilipino, and as member of YabangPinoy. I hope you find the bit of history contained in my paper useful http://www.disenyopilipino.ph/filipinocarsymposium.html. You will find in it some recommendations for the survival of the indigenous automotive industry.

If I may suggest, perhaps you should consider a chapter on the role the Philippine Government has played in this history, in terms of legislation, programs, regulations, incentives, etc.

I imagine that there should be eye candy in the book. Let me be the first to post a few, beginning with 1-HP classics.

[SIZE="1"][ Photos taken by me, with best wishes from the kutsero & cochero. Let me know if you want the hi-res version. ][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="4"]Godspeed![/SIZE]
    Last edited by dprox; June 29th, 2007 at 02:38 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    in the case of jeepneys....

As compensation (Philippine Rehabilitation Act) for our destruction during World War II, the Americans provided us with money to rehabilitate our transport industry. Remember, the Japanese confiscated everything that ran on wheels to limit the mobility of the guerillas, that is why a people carrier was badly needed by the Roxas admin. Now, the problem is that we were kinda shortchanged by the Americans by forcing us to buy surplus military equipment. Well, we couldn't do anything. No money would be released unless we bought those surplus machines. Enterprising and resourceful pinoys (e.g. Sarao) converted (with longer chassis) these Willy's jeeps into passenger jeepneys.

And the rest is history for the workhorse made by the former kutsero turned into an industrialist.
    Last edited by dprox; June 29th, 2007 at 08:29 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    I'd like to make a pitch this early for the book to move from the past not just to present, but with a view to the future.

If there is to be a future at all in this age of global warming, then the industry needs to move toward clean and green technology. I don't know that we have anything other than the FlexFuel engine project of Ford Philippines, but since we are beginning with the past, here are shots of vintage green vehicles in the Philippines.

Take this roadster for instance ~
    [IMG]http://www.bigjimsphilippine***perience.com/images/transport/carabao_cart.jpg[/IMG]
    The only emissions this engine puts out is organic and recyclable. Low speed, high power.
    Having a near zero carbon footprint, its only footprints are hoofs and grooves.
    [SIZE="1"][ Photo imported from www.bigjimsphilippine***perience.com ][/SIZE]

The post WW2 variant appeals to the younger set, utilizing contemporary rims and tires,
    shown here in the dunes of lahar country. Same engine, modified chassis.
    [SIZE="1"][ Photo imported from Mga Kwento ][/SIZE]
    Last edited by dprox; June 29th, 2007 at 02:44 PM.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Nice thread! I'm looking forward to the outcome of this project.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Guys,

Suggestion lang - When posting photo(s), kindly include a comment if you are submitting the photo(s) for consideration for inclusion in the book. If so, kindly ensure you that you are the rightful owner of said photo(s) and that you are not infringing on any copyright or property rights.

Also, if we are going to strictly abide by the law, any photos containing identifiable individuals or objects that are owned by an individual or legal entity will require a model's release agreement.

Well, hopefully the above legalese will not douse the enthusiasm shown so far.

Good luck to all of us!

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Hi Autohistorian,

Maganda iyang libro mong iyan. This is the first time I've heard of anybody attempting to go into such a noteworthy undertaking. Congrats & good luck.....

Now I have a suggestion. Idagdag natin and isang mode of transport na usong uso ngayon sa Mindanao, where I grew up. Ito iyong "habal-habal", spurred by the continuous growth of the motorcycle industry.

Sa probinsya, may mga enterprising motorcycle owners na nilalagyan ng wooden extensions (both rearwards & sidewards) ang upuan ng kanilang mga motorsiklo para makasakay ng APAT or more passengers!!! Nagmukhang eroplano tuloy!!

Ito siguro ang provincial version ng mga FX shuttles natin. I asked my brother to take a photo of this at post ko dito.

Pero short range lang ang mga ito, from the barrio to the main road via farm to market roads, mga 2 to 3 kms one way lang. Kuwento lang ito...... first time ko mag post. Sana dumami mag contribute para mabuo mo libro mo.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    This is what I got from Isuzu's webpage. Hopefully we can get a more detailed history:

[SIZE=2]For over 50 years, Isuzu has played a significant role in Philippine development by providing tried, tested and trusted commercial vehicles and diesel engines that move a country to rise. Today, Isuzu Philippines Corporation carries on with this proud legacy of giving top priority to customer service, employee satisfaction and social responsibility while continuing its quest to provide quality products that not only provide efficient transport for Filipinos but also help in nation building.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]The 1950s bore witness to Isuzu’s Philippine debut through its line of trucks. In 1972, General Motors and Isuzu joined forces to create GM Philippines. More changes in management took place in the two decades that followed, leading to the creation of Isuzu Motors Pilipinas in 1989, fully owned by Isuzu Motors Limited in Japan. To pave the way for a new and even better joint venture, the company ceased its operations in 1995.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]A CAUSE TO BREATHE[/SIZE] [SIZE=1]Our products are extensions of ourselves, and we want to give something back to the world by not taking any more from it. We take pride in developing vehicles that demonstrate diesel technology working to protect and preserve the environment.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]August 7, 1995 marked the birth of Isuzu Philippines Corporation, an enviable forging of forces among Isuzu Motors Limited, Mitsubishi Corporation, Ayala Corporation and Rizal Commercial Banking Corporation. More than 13 hectares of industrial land located at the Laguna Technopark in Biñan, Laguna holds the company’s manufacturing facilities capable of producing 15,000 units annual through a modest yet productive work force.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]True to its history, Isuzu Philippines Corporation is guided by its corporate slogan “Your Responsible Partner”. This is evident in the implementation of their company policies and thrusts.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Having carefully built its reputation on trust and dependence of a whole economy and country, Isuzu possesses core values unmatched by other vehicle manufacturers. Building the vehicles that our nation depends on, Isuzu is a company that can truly be called “The Nation’s Workhorse”.[/SIZE]

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Here's Mitsubishi Philippines:

[SIZE=2]Established in 20 February 1963 as Chrysler Philippines Corporation, Mitsubishi Motors Corporation now markets over 16 types of vehicles in the Philippines, after 43 years of operations.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Vehicles range from the easily-recognizable Lancer and Galant passenger cars, to light commercial vehicles of different images and purposes: The ubiquitous Pajero, the active Strada 4x4, the Space Gear, Adventure, L300 Versa-van, Exceed, and commercial vans. Moving the industry are the FK/FM trucks and the RP/RS buses. Tucked neatly between the light duty pickups and heavy haulers are the Canter light truck and Rosa mini-bus.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Today, Mitsubishi, headed in the Philippines by Mr. Kengo Takase, produces thousands of vehicles a year in a 190,294 sq. m. plant along Ortigas Ave. Ext., Cainta, Rizal. Mr. Takase is leading the company to focus on four major concerns: Manufacturing, Marketing, Labor/Management Corporation and Community Involvement.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]In manufacturing, production programs are aimed towards product quality. Quality Circles provide the impetus for continuous improvement of manufacturing processes leading to improved quality and cost-effectiveness.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]With Total Customer Satisfaction remaining to be the underlying commitment, the importance of delivering products and services that are attune to the complex and changing needs of the customers in the Philippine market setting remains to be the thrust of marketing activities and efforts.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]All in all, after 41 years of existence in the country’s automotive industry, Mitsubishi Motors continues to offer quality products and services to the Philippine market.[/SIZE]

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Philippine Automotive History Book Project