New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    "Topping up" is yesterday's tech. Newer vehicles don't require topping up. BMW's and other Euro vehicles have a sticker on the filler cap that prevents you from filling the cooling system and also for the dealer to know if you have tampered with the cover.

Cooling systems are now serviced in intervals as noted in the owner's manual. Losing a bit of coolant is normal so long as it does not go below minimum especially when the engine is already cold. Top ups are done during prescribed service intervals.

For most cooling systems, any ethelyne glycol based coolant blended in equal amounts with distilled water (minimal solids) works best. Check your particular vehicle's service intervals and coolant type.

As for the windshield washer, there are pre-mixed and concentrate forms available. Check what you are buying. Make sure they contain no materials that may harm your specific vehicle's finish.

YES. Tap water will work though it is not the ideal fluid for both cooling system and windshield washer applications. I've seen water pumps get ruined by running on pure tap [esp. the 'hard' variety] water.

As distilled water sold for battery applications are sometimes of questionable quality, the most ideal is still distilled drinking water.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yup. I always use *shudder* Absolut or Wilkins for my older cars mixed with coolant.

Tap water may seem okay, but lik OTEP says, people have had stuff fail because of dissolved minerals in the water. It's not usually a problem if you're the first owner of an old vehicle, but not good if you're pushing over 100,000 km already.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP
    "Topping up" is yesterday's tech. Newer vehicles don't require topping up. BMW's and other Euro vehicles have a sticker on the filler cap that prevents you from filling the cooling system and also for the dealer to know if you have tampered with the cover.

Cooling systems are now serviced in intervals as noted in the owner's manual. Losing a bit of coolant is normal so long as it does not go below minimum especially when the engine is already cold. Top ups are done during prescribed service intervals.

For most cooling systems, any ethelyne glycol based coolant blended in equal amounts with distilled water (minimal solids) works best. Check your particular vehicle's service intervals and coolant type.

As for the windshield washer, there are pre-mixed and concentrate forms available. Check what you are buying. Make sure they contain no materials that may harm your specific vehicle's finish.

YES. Tap water will work though it is not the ideal fluid for both cooling system and windshield washer applications. I've seen water pumps get ruined by running on pure tap [esp. the 'hard' variety] water.

As distilled water sold for battery applications are sometimes of questionable quality, the most ideal is still distilled drinking water.

the doctor has spoken!

agree ako sa kanya... use wilkins or any brand distilled drinking water...both for radiator or windshield washer...although personally, sa radiator lang ako gumagamit ng distilled water. for windshield, pwede na tap water..wag lang deepwell water, leaves residues on the windshield when the water droplets dry (dissolved minerals). I don't think tap water will clog the windshield washer pipings unless super dumi nung tubig na kinarga mo. di naman naiinitan or kumukulo yung tubig sa windshield washer reservoir unlike yung sa radiator. just my 2 sentimos

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Matagal ko na binabalak bilin ung windshield washer na nasa maliit na bote. "Windshield Washer" lang ata ung name nya, kulay blue sya. Concentrated ata. Try ko siguro pag umuulan na.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    ako hindi ko na tinitignan yung sa radiator at reservior. Bahala na casa dun...

sa windshield washer naman, distilled water lang. kasi nung bagong bili kotse ko nag marka sa paint yung nilagay ng casa.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Yeah... Same lng yan sila windshield and rad water.. distilled yan dba? u can buy that any sa gasoline stations..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
windshield washer and radiator fluid