New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    I was told by an "expert" to replace the radiator of our CR-V 98 with a bigger one. He claimed that it will yield better fuel economy. I asked him why since the radiator is bigger and heavier. He couldn't answer.

I simply use what is installed. My recommendation is, use the same specification that came with your car.
    Because a bigger radiator will dissipate the heat faster, creating a more efficient way for the engine to operate optimally? Haha, just guessing not actually stating.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    if you plan on "upgrading the radiator", measure them well. baka hindi kumasya yung nais mong gamitin.
    sabi po kasi nung shop pareho lang.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gspeedy View Post
    sabi po kasi nung shop pareho lang.
    i'd still bring along a metal tape measure and do my measuring.

i once tried using a replacement evaporator, as it was cheaper by several thousing bucks than the oem. it didn't fit. using an ordinary metal tape measure, it was off by several mm.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sparc179 View Post
    Because a bigger radiator will dissipate the heat faster, creating a more efficient way for the engine to operate optimally? Haha, just guessing not actually stating.
    we did, once, in our old besta. it worked fine, naman. but i couldn't tell the difference between a brand new, un-clogged, un-rusted standard-for-model radiator, and a brand new, higher capacity radiator. i did feel more assured, because my new radiator was higher capacity.
    don't worry about "overcooling" (if such exists at all). the thermostat will take care of that.
    Last edited by dr. d; December 5th, 2019 at 10:07 AM.

5. Join Date
    May 2011
    Only the additional weight if it matters. The thermostat controls the target temperature and ghe coolant temperature will adjust the operating parametres.
    As long as it fits the bracket.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Diba meron na mga replacement na Taiwan made? Pwede na yun or tanong ka mismo sa denso baka mura na lang yan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sparc179 View Post
    That somehow makes sense...

Going back, I was told by another radiator guy to remove the thermostat as it isn't doing any good. I simply smiled.

So my other recommendation, do not modify the car unless you really know what you are doing.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    That somehow makes sense...

Going back, I was told by another radiator guy to remove the thermostat as it isn't doing any good. I simply smiled.

So my other recommendation, do not modify the car unless you really know what you are doing.
    "there are times, when one thought one knew what one was doing, when in actuality, one didn't know. removing the thermostat is one such.."
    sometimes, one gets bad advice from a perceived expert in the field.
    heh heh.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    We used to do that in all our Taxis (after the radiator was replaced by a "replacement")

Using a Non-factory spec radiator (normally made of copper) has only 2 pros, it's easier to repair AND during those hot summer days, spraying the radiator with water can help the A/C.

But based on experience with replacement radiators.

It's bigger - but the rows are actually smaller
    It gets hotter, higher chances of the hood fading quicker

I would also recommend to remove the thermostat as I'm not sure how will local radiators hold up.

Only issues I noticed with removing the thermostat is that (1) it will take longer for the car to warm up, if you're driving short distances, it can be really annoying.

(2) when driving at high speeds out of town, the engine temp will be lower than usual, hence again not reaching the optimum temp of the engine.

10. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    we did, once, in our old besta. it worked fine, naman. but i couldn't tell the difference between a brand new, un-clogged, un-rusted standard-for-model radiator, and a brand new, higher capacity radiator. i did feel more assured, because my new radiator was higher capacity.
    don't worry about "overcooling" (if such exists at all). the thermostat will take care of that.
    In most of Da Pilipins, over-cooling an engine will never occur. Not even in the highlands, I would think.

To the TS, also please remember the fan/radiator shrouds which are integral to the design to maximize the airflow into the radiator. Baka po kasi tanggalin at hindi na ibalik.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast