The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    doubledouble.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    We used to do that in all our Taxis (after the radiator was replaced by a "replacement")

Using a Non-factory spec radiator (normally made of copper) has only 2 pros, it's easier to repair AND during those hot summer days, spraying the radiator with water can help the A/C.

But based on experience with replacement radiators.

It's bigger - but the rows are actually smaller
    It gets hotter, higher chances of the hood fading quicker

I would also recommend to remove the thermostat as I'm not sure how will local radiators hold up.

Only issues I noticed with removing the thermostat is that (1) it will take longer for the car to warm up, if you're driving short distances, it can be really annoying.

(2) when driving at high speeds out of town, the engine temp will be lower than usual, hence again not reaching the optimum temp of the engine.
    the aluminum-versus-copper-radiators arguments are in the innernet.
    na-hilo ako.

having experienced "financial diversity" in life, i appreciate the copper-being-repair-able part. aluminum radiators can be repaired, but it takes special training and special materiel.
    someone advised me, "when the radiator starts leaking, replace it. even if you are able to repair that leak, others will follow soon."

so, what was the reason daw, that made removing the thermostat a good move?
    Last edited by dr. d; December 5th, 2019 at 11:23 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    so, what was the reason daw, that made removing the thermostat a good move?
    it's 1 less thing to worry about. without it water pump na lang and pwede masira (granting di mabutas yung radiator, hose and tumigil yung fan)

those times when the car overheated pero ok naman lahat... thermostat did not open

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    it's 1 less thing to worry about. without it water pump na lang and pwede masira (granting di mabutas yung radiator, hose and tumigil yung fan)

those times when the car overheated pero ok naman lahat... thermostat did not open
    well,
    i suppose, if you're in mass transport business, you do get to see problems that we private motorists only read about.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    well,
    i suppose, if you're in mass transport business, you do get to see problems that we private motorists only read about.
    yup... our taxis used to run 400kms per day...

but back to the thread...

the car (Gen 2 CRV) is more than 10 years old... how long do you plan to keep it?

forever - buy a replacement but you may need to make adjustments here and there. also there's chances of mali yung mabili mo. then bibili ka ulit nang bigger then adjustment ulit.
    upto 5 years - buy original, baka baratin ka ng buyer if mapansin nya na replacement yung radiator mo tapos modified bracket ng fan - happened to our Adventure

6. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    That somehow makes sense...

Going back, I was told by another radiator guy to remove the thermostat as it isn't doing any good. I simply smiled.

So my other recommendation, do not modify the car unless you really know what you are doing.
    It's not doing any good..dagdag trabaho pa yun sa kanya para maibalik

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    this is what i think.
    in the olden days, cars had temperature gauges with needle pointers.
    removing the thermostat resulted in them needles going up to normal, more slowly than if the thermostat weren't there.
    this gave rise to the mistaken notion that thermostat-less car engines are less prone to overheat.
    go figure.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kisshmet View Post
    It's not doing any good..dagdag trabaho pa yun sa kanya para maibalik

Right on the spot! [emoji3]

What could be the reason why the thermostat got stuck?

You mentioned about optimal temperature so yes, thermal efficiency will suffer. In effect, poor fuel economy. However, I don't know by how much and it might be negligible.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    ^actually it's all about design

Old design, Rear wheel drive, continuously running fan, no thermostat required

New design, front wheel drive, thermostat driven fan (not always on)

Old school mechanic used to old design converts FWD design to conform with RWD..cheaper solution..disregard the thermostat..keep the fan running

10. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    Right on the spot! [emoji3]
    What could be the reason why the thermostat got stuck?
    rust, old age? it's a small piece of metal with a spring.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast