New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeDi13 View Post
    My Civic ES is also in a similar situation. I recently had its radiator water drained (found out that the previous owner did not put coolant with it) and replaced with a premix coolant. After a couple of week's use, temperature remains normal. Until one night, I decided to gun the vehicle along EDSA SB from Guadalupe to Ayala Ave just for the heck of it. I floored the gas pedal, and the RPM needle went past 5.5K RPM during the downshift to 2nd gear coming from 1.8K RPM * 3rd gear. I sustained the flooring up to 3 seconds only. After driving it for about 3 kms and upon reaching Ayala Ave, I noticed that the temp needle is already at the 3/4 mark. I immediately went to Shell Edsa McKinley and stopped the engine for about 15 mins. Popped up the hood and found that the water reservoir was full and there's no more water in radiator. After filling it up with tap water, I headed back home without a problem.

I used the vehicle again the next day. Temp was normal during the whole travel along Katipunan to C5 with moderate traffic until I reached Bagong Ilong flyover when the temp needle started to go to 3/4 again. Went to the side of the road and stopped the engine for 10 mins. Went to Petron McKinley for a water refill and didn't had any problems again.

After that incident, I decided to drain-replace the water for a few times using distilled water. Used the vehicle after every procedure so that water would circulate. On 4th drain, I decided to add premix coolant. So far, no more rising temp. However, I only had short trips (20 kms in light traffic compared to 20 kms from Katipunan to C5 in moderate traffic) so I can't really say that problem is over.

Any comments on the reason of the rising temp on the two separate occasions? Now I'm starting to think that flooring the pedal was foolish. By the way, both fans are working (just don't know if at normal speed). The water pump's fine too, according to a mechanic as he observed the water in the radiator with the cap taken off while I was revving the engine.
    I was able to use the car again in moderate to heavy traffic, 20 kms distance covered, in 1.5 hours. I just noticed that the temp needle is "higher than usual", probably 1-3 lines higher, with A/C turned on the whole time. Usual temp needle is at 2-3 lines below the mid line. but now on traffic, it reached the exact mid line. this doesn't happened before. it is just usually below the mid line even on heavy traffic. is this a sign of a clogged radiator as what JohnM mentioned before, or there's nothing to worry about as it's still within "normal" operating temp? car is 2002 Honda Civic VTi-S. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    High temp in traffic is most likely caused by a weak fan. Check your fans for unusual noises or alog. With the fans on feel the strength of the air coming out. Kung medyo mahina time to replace the motor na. Try to observe the temp din with the AC off in similar conditions. Kung bumaba most likely fan nga ang problem. Silipin mo na rin ang outside fins ng rad baka barado na. Number one kalaban dito balahibo ng aso o pusa

Coolant leaks could be another cause. Nasilip mo ba ang radiator and reservoir kung may laman pa after that incident?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Thanks again JohnM.. Yup, checked the radiator and reservoir, both are always full since the incident. I always check them before using the vehicle and no need to top up. Iniisip ko nga, baka barado like what you said. Sige, I'll check the fan motors na rin, but last time I checked, they are still quite strong. Kakalagay ko lang kasi ng Honda coolant kaya nag-hhesitate pa ako magpa-radiator cleaning. So far, yun palang naman na-notice ko. At least the car can now survive moderate to heavy traffic without overheating.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Add ko lang, tama JohnM, mas mababa ang temp with A/C off, kahit pa heavy traffic (tagaktak-pawis nga lang ako hehe). Ang hirap kasi i-measure yung strength ng fans by just feeling them with bare hands. Kung ako lang tatanungin na hindi expert at hindi laging nagccheck ng fan speed, hindi ko rin masasabi ang difference, unless significantly different na.

Anyway, thanks again JohnM. mukhang marami ka nang napagdaanan sa cooling system ng kotse mo ah hehe.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeDi13 View Post
    Anyway, thanks again JohnM. mukhang marami ka nang napagdaanan sa cooling system ng kotse mo ah hehe.
    Been there done that

Iniwanan ko nga ng checklist si kumander nung nag-abroad ako for a month so she'll know what to check kung tumaas ang temp. Natuto din sya maghanap at mag-epoxy ng butas sa radiator :hysterical:

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ask ko lang, ok ba mag top-up ng reservoir using distilled water kung pre-mix coolant ang nakalagay sa cooling system mo?

kasi nang nag-palit ako ng coolant last month kinulang na iyong honda type 2 coolant na nabili ko ( 1 galllon jug). eh napaka-hirap mag-hanap pa naman dito ng type 2 coolant sa atin so sa reservoir may halong distilled water na nailagay ko

7. Join Date
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    ask ko lang, ok ba mag top-up ng reservoir using distilled water kung pre-mix coolant ang nakalagay sa cooling system mo?

kasi nang nag-palit ako ng coolant last month kinulang na iyong honda type 2 coolant na nabili ko ( 1 galllon jug). eh napaka-hirap mag-hanap pa naman dito ng type 2 coolant sa atin so sa reservoir may halong distilled water na nailagay ko
    pag naglagay ba ng coolant, hindi na kailangan maglagay ng tubig? o pwede mix? o dapat distlled water? or how long should i check kung maglalagay na ulit? sorry, old school ako, nasanay ako ssimula bata na tubig lang ilalagay every now and then.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post

you still have to top up with a coolant mixture, otherwise, hindi na tama ang magiging mixture ng coolant and water sa radiator and makina mo pag-ikot ng fluid.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by gutz_3110 View Post
    pag naglagay ba ng coolant, hindi na kailangan maglagay ng tubig? o pwede mix? o dapat distlled water? or how long should i check kung maglalagay na ulit? sorry, old school ako, nasanay ako ssimula bata na tubig lang ilalagay every now and then.
    mixed or premixed pa din.
    you should check it regularly. ako every week... check lang naman ang level ng coolant sa reservoir eh.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    you still have to top up with a coolant mixture, otherwise, hindi na tama ang magiging mixture ng coolant and water sa radiator and makina mo pag-ikot ng fluid.
    so anong direct consequence nito bro? mag- overheat ba siya over time ( or iikli ang period of effectivity niya) even though majority ng laman ng cooling system iyong type 2 coolant?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Overheating at High Speed (revs) and uphill