New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yep. Check the cooling tubes inside. Some of them are visible when you open the rad cap. Kung may signs of rust na sa loob chances are bumara na yung iba.

2. Join Date
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Yep. Check the cooling tubes inside. Some of them are visible when you open the rad cap. Kung may signs of rust na sa loob chances are bumara na yung iba.
    i see. papa check ko na lang sa weekend yun condition ng radiator. isasama ko na din yun fans. salamat bro.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    My Civic ES is also in a similar situation. I recently had its radiator water drained (found out that the previous owner did not put coolant with it) and replaced with a premix coolant. After a couple of week's use, temperature remains normal. Until one night, I decided to gun the vehicle along EDSA SB from Guadalupe to Ayala Ave just for the heck of it. I floored the gas pedal, and the RPM needle went past 5.5K RPM during the downshift to 2nd gear coming from 1.8K RPM * 3rd gear. I sustained the flooring up to 3 seconds only. After driving it for about 3 kms and upon reaching Ayala Ave, I noticed that the temp needle is already at the 3/4 mark. I immediately went to Shell Edsa McKinley and stopped the engine for about 15 mins. Popped up the hood and found that the water reservoir was full and there's no more water in radiator. After filling it up with tap water, I headed back home without a problem.

I used the vehicle again the next day. Temp was normal during the whole travel along Katipunan to C5 with moderate traffic until I reached Bagong Ilong flyover when the temp needle started to go to 3/4 again. Went to the side of the road and stopped the engine for 10 mins. Went to Petron McKinley for a water refill and didn't had any problems again.

After that incident, I decided to drain-replace the water for a few times using distilled water. Used the vehicle after every procedure so that water would circulate. On 4th drain, I decided to add premix coolant. So far, no more rising temp. However, I only had short trips (20 kms in light traffic compared to 20 kms from Katipunan to C5 in moderate traffic) so I can't really say that problem is over.

Any comments on the reason of the rising temp on the two separate occasions? Now I'm starting to think that flooring the pedal was foolish. By the way, both fans are working (just don't know if at normal speed). The water pump's fine too, according to a mechanic as he observed the water in the radiator with the cap taken off while I was revving the engine.
    Last edited by jeDi13; September 3rd, 2014 at 06:53 PM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Reservoir full but radiator is dry?

Your rad cap might be stuck. I recommend replacing it with an OEM cap.

Another suspect is a tiny crack or hole somewhere in your cooling system that opens up and leaks under high pressure. Mas mahirap hanapin yan. If your hoses look cracked or worn replace them na. Also inspect the plastic radiator parts and check for small cracks.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Thanks JohnM for the comment.

For the radiator being dry and reservoir full, I'm thinking that because of the high pressure, the water was pushed to the reservoir, and eventually some overflowed that made the radiator dry. Just my guess.

But what about running the vehicle in light traffic without any problems? But when in moderate traffic, temp rises after almost 20 kms or 40 mins of driving.

That's what I don't want to happen, a crack or hole somewhere. But at least you said in the cooling system. Do you think it is possible to crack a gasket, head, or block in just a 3-second flooring?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Proven na sakin yang moderate traffic na ang cause is baradong radiator. Bagong palit fans ko nun pero umaakyat pa din. Ok na after cleaning. Problema nga lang nagcrack pala sa pagtanggal-kabit ang plastic so laging tumutulo.

Short birit no problem. My engine survived an overheat that killed my automatic transmission.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    mukhang radiator overhaul na nga ang dapat kong gawin. hindi ko kasi pina-cleaning before ako mag-replace ng coolant kasi akala ko may coolant na nilagay yung previous owner. thanks again JohnM.

8. Join Date
    May 2013
    *jeDi13,
    yan mismo ang problema ko. i think it's not the high speed that makes the engine overheat, baka yun high rev that comes along with it? not sure though....kasi pag binagalan naman, babalik sa gitna yun temp needle. pag city driving, maski sobrang traffic, normal naman. bukod sa suspetsa ni JohnM na cooling tubes, baka may problema din yun lower radiator hose ko.

*JohnM
    ngapala, minsan may napapansin akong tubig sa ilalim ng sasakyan.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gutz_3110 View Post
    *JohnM
    ngapala, minsan may napapansin akong tubig sa ilalim ng sasakyan.
    Confirm mo muna location. Kung malapit sa firewall sa passenger side malamang galing sa evaporator ng aircon yan. May drain hose sya from behind the dash to the firewall. Kung under the radiator area then cooling system na yan.

My old car's cooling system was so rusted na naging madali tuloy maghanap ng tulo. Tinitingnan ko na lang kung saan may trace ng kalawang and voila may butas nga! It got so bad na kahit asawa ko natuto nang mag-mix ng epoxy para tapalan ang mga butas

10. Join Date
    May 2013
    JohnM,

malamang dalhin ko na lang sa gumawa. para kung sakaling kelangan din ng linis, pag-iisahin ko na. suspetsa ko hose lang naman...sana yun lang hehehe pero since luma na, malamang kalawang na din sa loob. update ko tong thread kung ano man resulta. pero kelangan ko lang masubukan sa highway kasi hindi naman tayo nakakamaneho ng mabilis na matagal sa city hehe

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Overheating at High Speed (revs) and uphill