New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    The cooling system is seperate from your air conditioning system. Your case is of neglect of your own car.
    Since when did you check your coolant level? When was it changed?
    What is its service history?
    It may even be due to your water pump failure.
    What was the condition of the water pump? corroded? Where is the point of leak?
    Last edited by mark_t; July 21st, 2013 at 04:59 PM.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_t View Post
    The cooling system is seperate from your air conditioning system. Your case is of neglect of your own car.

The cooling system is seperate from your air conditioning system

they maybe mechanically or physically seperate or separate but they are closely related. the a/c can cause overheating and overheating of the engine affects the a/c system. some systems for example the korean gm chevy epica, the a/c stops working once the pcm detects abnormal change in the coolant temperature sensor signal like when you forgot to install coolant after engine or a/c repair. as you work more and more on different systems and different makes, you will discover inherent characteristics of different cars.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    my 90s sentra aircon stops cooling when the engine overheats; programmed ecu protection probably.
    but an overheating engine does not cause the compressor to get destroyed... the compressor will still compress even if the engine is already melting..
    and the explanation from the second shop that you narrated, leaves much to be desired. what did he mean? that the compressor did not stop functioning until it got destroyed? or the compressor did not function? either way, the engine should not have been affected. the compressor could have self-destructed, but this should not affect the engine.
    curiouser and curiouser...
    Last edited by dr. d; July 22nd, 2013 at 01:57 AM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    The cooling system is seperate from your air conditioning system

they maybe mechanically or physically seperate or separate but they are closely related. the a/c can cause overheating and overheating of the engine affects the a/c system. some systems for example the korean gm chevy epica, the a/c stops working once the pcm detects abnormal change in the coolant temperature sensor signal like when you forgot to install coolant after engine or a/c repair. as you work more and more on different systems and different makes, you will discover inherent characteristics of different cars.
    So would this apply to PH domestic lancer gsr or Mitsubishi PH domestic models?

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_t View Post
    *mark_t I think you didn't understand my explanation very well, how can it be neglect of my own car? FYI - Yearly pinapamaintenance ko ang sasakyang ko. Paliwanag ko lang mabuti sir, never ako nagkaproblema with engine overheating ever since na acquire ko ang car ko, and EVERYTHING is OK with my car except the Aircon bago nila gawin sa Wings West. Nag overheat lang sya the same day, I repeat - the same day after ginawa ng Wings West and "fix" sa Aircon ko.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    personal experience... when the water pump starts leaking, you can lose all your radiator water within the day.. actually, i lost half of it within an hour of heavy traffic..
    is it possible, sir, that due to wear and tear, the water pump started to leak, causing the engine to go hot.. then the ECU saw that the engine was getting too hot, and so caused the aircon to cut out.
    might i inquire, did you see the temperature gauge the first time the aircon cut out? was it showing a hotter-than-usual reading?
    in my personal experience, the first sign of water leak was the aircon cutting out, and when i looked at my temp gauge, it was hotter than usual.. and when i pulled over and inspected my overflow cannister, it was empty! and when i got to open my radiator cap, the radiator water was not visible. .. and when i poured in some water, it took 2 (or was it 3?) liters to make the water level appear again...
    what i am implying sir, is that sometimes, things are not that obvious..

one more possibility.. your auxiliary fan isn't blowing enough air to cool the engine and aircon. time to replace it?
    Last edited by dr. d; July 23rd, 2013 at 02:03 AM.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    The only interconnection of AC to the cooling system is the condenser / radiator fan. Kapag nabusted yung relay or fuse then it will lead to overheating, unless ginalaw nila ang electrical then pwede maging cause yun., but if both fans are operable..AC is not really to blame. Also some are shared drives with the water pumps via serpentine belts...but again obvious din agd yun Kung maputol lumuwag ang belts.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    *dr. d and *Jiggs, yes you're both correct as I didn't mentioned that the aux fan had problems as well bec. of the relay they (Wings West) made, hence cooling was insufficient bec. the fans weren't functioning properly. When they created the 'relay fix', they worked on the wiring. The first time they made the relay, the fans didn't worked at all and they have to 'rewire' the relay. Again, before the 'relay fix', my car was perfectly fine, temps are normal. The temp gauge went high the day they fixed the aircon.

I wouldn't accuse Wings West blindly, the fact that my car was running well w/o problems even with the aircon not working already - took me almost a week to get it fixed and drove my car a couple of times, back and forth from Muntinlupa to Sta. Rosa and didn't encountered any overheating whatsoever. When they fixed the aircon on July 14 Sunday morning, that's when problems stated - Sunday Evening I drove from Muntinlupa to Sta Rosa and engine overheated before Binan/Carmona Tollgate. I think its safe to assume that it was Wings West's mechanics fault.

FYI - The main problem with the Aircon was the wiring only. When the shop here in Sta. Rosa fixed the wiring (also removed the 'relay fix' Wings West made), my AC was running great again.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    personal experience... when the water pump starts leaking, you can lose all your radiator water within the day.. actually, i lost half of it within an hour of heavy traffic..
    is it possible, sir, that due to wear and tear, the water pump started to leak, causing the engine to go hot.. then the ECU saw that the engine was getting too hot, and so caused the aircon to cut out.
    might i inquire, did you see the temperature gauge the first time the aircon cut out? was it showing a hotter-than-usual reading?
    in my personal experience, the first sign of water leak was the aircon cutting out, and when i looked at my temp gauge, it was hotter than usual.. and when i pulled over and inspected my overflow cannister, it was empty! and when i got to open my radiator cap, the radiator water was not visible. .. and when i poured in some water, it took 2 (or was it 3?) liters to make the water level appear again...
    what i am implying sir, is that sometimes, things are not that obvious..

one more possibility.. your auxiliary fan isn't blowing enough air to cool the engine and aircon. time to replace it?
    *dr. d Sir I'm pretty sure that I don't have water pump leak, the fact that I was driving my car normally (temps were normal) even with the AC problem almost a week before I took it to Wings West. Also They took more than hour fiddling and supposedly fixing my AC. About 3 mechanics were around my car's engine, they didn't told me that Water Pump was leaking.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    baka baligtad yung ikot ng fan mo kontra sa takbo ng sasakyan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast