New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Hahaha. Telulah konting lamig lang at mukhang pumiyok ka kagad. Wala po akong sinabing word na "jealous" or anything that implies it. And im not compelling anyone to buy one. Uulitin ko para sayo:

"Ang tingin ko yung ibang me ayaw at galit sa japan imports e di matanggap na mura lang ang mga ito against sa mahal nilang pagkakabili sa local, at the same time e mas matibay pa kung tutuusin. Just my observation. Peace sisters."

Take note of the word "yung ibang me ayaw." So there is no generalization into it. This is my observation and i dont mean to offend anyone. This is a fair comment cause ive seen people like the one i described. Peace again sisters. No harm intended.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    hi guys,

ako meron subic hilux surf 2lte.. got it more than 3 yrs ago, i got my trusted mechanic take a look before i bought it. pina ayos ko narin sa kanya lahat ng dapat ayusin sa steering.. all parts i got from pasay, rotonda and zapote..di naman mahirap hanapin kasi toyota. you guys are right..you start with checking kung ok ang conversion (if i remember right, 7.5k ang gastos lahat).. we also replaced all belts and hoses kaya no problems sa overheating (minsan ko lang marinig mag on ang auxillary cooling fan, to think palaging trapik)

but after that.. maraming advantages.. all power sya, me soft/hard suspension, ang ganda ng interior (except the dash ha..fiberglass ung akin, he he).. at ang ganda ng body nya, tigas pa.. original paint pa kc when i got it.. at walang takot sa baha..

i cannot afford the local SUVs kc so i settled for a subic..pero I don't regret getting this one (even after 40,000 kms).. only regret is getting a diesel.. sobra na mahal. wala na advantage sa gas (1,755 for a full tank )... benta ko na kaya at kuha ng 1.1li na kotse..

btw. 6km/li city, 10km/li highway...

that's my story....

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Hey Clearwater, where do you get yours serviced? Medyo mausok na akin, di pa kasi nakakatikim ng calibration. But it's EFI turbo 2lte so I dunno kung meron kaya.

Dami sakit ng ulo ko dito at the start, but mostly because I didn't know anything about cars (still don't), and should have replaced all the steering linkage right away. It came in from Davao and was poorly converted. Medyo naloko utol ko non, but now all is well after the pitman arm etc replacements. The dash is also not so nice-lookin', so I might replace that (magkano ba yon at san?). I would recommend getting one if you have a trustworthy mechanic to fix what must be done at the start. Wala ako kilala so recommend me one pls!

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    There are a lot of myths regarding subic cars, both neg and pos. don't rely a lot on opinions, but rather do a careful study and take your time asking owners. take advise from people who actually owned those type of cars. Yes, Joseph from Multinational can be a very reliable help. have patience Bro. and you won't get wrong. I am very happy and satisfied with my Pajero. I think surf is also a great rig, but then again, get all the advise you can get. there's a Toyota expert sir Otep mentioned in a thread, somewhere in Pampanga. all the best.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul
    Hey Clearwater, where do you get yours serviced? Medyo mausok na akin, di pa kasi nakakatikim ng calibration. But it's EFI turbo 2lte so I dunno kung meron kaya.

Dami sakit ng ulo ko dito at the start, but mostly because I didn't know anything about cars (still don't), and should have replaced all the steering linkage right away. It came in from Davao and was poorly converted. Medyo naloko utol ko non, but now all is well after the pitman arm etc replacements. The dash is also not so nice-lookin', so I might replace that (magkano ba yon at san?). I would recommend getting one if you have a trustworthy mechanic to fix what must be done at the start. Wala ako kilala so recommend me one pls!
    Hi Raul,

I am from Las Pinas. Mang Boy from Moonwalk village takes care of my surf.. Pero once or twice a year lang nya tinitignan.. like this coming dec, i have to replace my front shock absorbers. Sya na rin gagawa. Pag gumagawa ung matanda, me explanation pa. He's very reliable sa mechanical problems.. pag electrical at aircon, sa iba ko dinadala. D ko parin sya napapa calibrate eh.. gusto ko na rin kasi malapit na mag 100k ang milyahe. btw, pareho pala tayo ng engine..

Gusto ko ring palitan ng dashboard kasi nga, eto na lang ang pangit sa kanya.. minsan bro punta ako ng banawe, magtatanong ng surplus dash para sa 2.4 na hilux, post ko kung meron.

Right now, ang misis ko palagi gumagamit daily, naka sportsbike kc ako pag weekdays.. pero pag sunday, surf gamit namin, about 60kilometers, roundtrip to tondo.

Happy motoring!

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    hi clearwater, what part of las pinas are you from? i'm from manuela and always on the look out for hilux. type ko din kasi. what color and model is your hilux? baka nakikita ko na ang car mo sa daan.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by telulah
    i learned a few things about this conversion business, it is scary to get a converted car now since locators in subic remove good original parts in favor of replacements (radiator, evaporator, gearbox, etc) then they turn around and sell the parts.
    second, i have had 3 pajeros and was thinking of getting a surf for a change, i researched the models being sold here and apparently there really are issues with overheating and transmission (2.0L and 2.4L, google it and you will find a lot of surf clubs in europe and australia and read up on their comments).

the only one worth getting is the surf with the 1kz engine if you can find one, they are generally over p500k and for that money you are better of with a pajero either way since 1. parts are cheap 2. anyone can actually fix it 3. regardless of what you hear they are actually dependable.

warning, neither of the surfs here have good inventory of parts, its just that a surf with 1kz engine is awesome, 3.0L 6cyl intercooled turbo, same engine as the prado in that tiny body--talk about diesel power to weight ratio!

the problem with the surf also is that parts are expensive and not easy to find or even troubleshoot, notice how many surfs are for sale who claim not to overheat-why point it out? you dont see that on other cars, you dont see kia "hindi bulok" hahahaha
    it was when they got better that quicker methods were realized especially when margins got thinner since there were so much coming in (replacing of parts, etc). there are pajeros with isuzu trannys now and toyota steering/suspension parts. toyota quality is indisputable although i hardly think they had pajero in mind when they made it hehe

i own a subic pajero and am thrilled about, take it to joseph atotubo in multinational if you choose to get one-you wont recognize it after he fixes it up, cheap pa and lots of good stories-
    telulah, we got the 3li Turbo Diesel Engine. and i can say its really powerful but is also kind of guzzling diesel. but nowhere near as bad as say durango or Expeditiion. btw, is "Joseph atotubo" also in the business of conditioning other Subic RHD converted rides? i mean kaya nya din ba ang Surf, mukhang specialty nya ay Mitsu Pajero's.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alromcc
    For anyone still interested on Subic surfs, I would like to share some tips(which I got from others) on prevention/trouble shooting overheating problem on surfs, as follows

1st : check coolant level, then all hoses & radiator for leakage - run idle in your garage and look below for water drips. Replace leaking hoses or worn clamps.

2nd : check/replace thermostat - located inside the top hose connection at engine end from the radiator (needs to unscrew 2 bolts to access). - this is the usual culprit = needs few effort & small cost of a new thermostat replacement.

3rd : if still over heating, check/ re-oil your radiator fan - needs 4 tubes of silicon oil to do this.

4th : if still over heating, overhaul or replace your radiator
    - if the wipers were transfered, apply grease at the underside of the plugged holes (previous positions of wipers) to avoid corrossion.

The above are really tigious to most people. But once you did, it may give you peace of mind to enjoy your vehicle.

However, I also agree on the setting away any dilemna on buying 2nd hand cars, by buying brand new ones (which I also did before). It always depend on our likes & budgets.
    alromcc, thanks for your advice(s). btw, matanong. kasi yung sa amin eh ang temperature ay laging nasa gitna ang needle ng engine temp (or radiator water temp). is this normal? kasi sa Civic ESi ko eh ang normal ay mga below 4/10's position. and also after reading some of the post's it says yung mga radiators daw ay pinapalitan. now i'm begining to doubt its not orig. radiator. anyway mukha syang all made of steel and mukha ngang mga gawang pipitsugin. how can u tell which is orig or replaced radiator of the Surf? and saan ka makakabili ng parts? like Ball joint, bearing, thermostat and timing belt? (malapit na mag 200,000Km eh.)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
hilux surf subic