1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry
    Converted-RHD vehicles scare me.
    Me, too.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by telulah
    i learned a few things about this conversion business, it is scary to get a converted car now since locators in subic remove good original parts in favor of replacements (radiator, evaporator, gearbox, etc) then they turn around and sell the parts.
    second, i have had 3 pajeros and was thinking of getting a surf for a change, i researched the models being sold here and apparently there really are issues with overheating and transmission (2.0L and 2.4L, google it and you will find a lot of surf clubs in europe and australia and read up on their comments).

the only one worth getting is the surf with the 1kz engine if you can find one, they are generally over p500k and for that money you are better of with a pajero either way since 1. parts are cheap 2. anyone can actually fix it 3. regardless of what you hear they are actually dependable.

warning, neither of the surfs here have good inventory of parts, its just that a surf with 1kz engine is awesome, 3.0L 6cyl intercooled turbo, same engine as the prado in that tiny body--talk about diesel power to weight ratio!

the problem with the surf also is that parts are expensive and not easy to find or even troubleshoot, notice how many surfs are for sale who claim not to overheat-why point it out? you dont see that on other cars, you dont see kia "hindi bulok" hahahaha

pajeros, well cant say enough about them, really they are the least of all evils from subic because it is easy to fix and once you get past that first service (drain all fluids, blah, blah, blah) it is a good deal not to mention steel manufacturing in japan is far superior to here--sorry local guys, that is the truth. those pajeros will last much longer than the local ones. but its a judgement call, others may have had other experiences, i had the first 86 pajero na skd and man that car was great compared to the 89/90 i got after that, the quality was not even close, now i am sure our manufacturing has improved but dont think for one second it is at par with japan.

you have to like tinkering with your car if you consider getting from subic, now that is the reality of it. it is not hard to select one from subic; however, hayward is right about brining a mechanic, you may actually want to get one that has been here for at least two yearss because during the infancy of this phenomena, conversions were done by the book (orig parts, no shortcut).

it was when they got better that quicker methods were realized especially when margins got thinner since there were so much coming in (replacing of parts, etc). there are pajeros with isuzu trannys now and toyota steering/suspension parts. toyota quality is indisputable although i hardly think they had pajero in mind when they made it hehe

i own a subic pajero and am thrilled about, take it to joseph atotubo in multinational if you choose to get one-you wont recognize it after he fixes it up, cheap pa and lots of good stories-
    i live in las pinas and i have a friend who owns a 2.5 subic pajero. he finds it too slow, can joseph atotubo fix it? where can we get in touch with him? thanks a lot for your surf comments.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    hi, contact # for Joseph Atotubo 822-3993, 0917-8405942

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    its like your buying a cheap car that wont last that long... as what M2 told you... stay away from converted vehicles.

just my 2 cents...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BGA VI
    hi, contact # for Joseph Atotubo 822-3993, 0917-8405942

thanks for the info

6. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I used to see lots of hilux surf on the street. But it seems now that they are vanishing...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    meron nagsabi nila madali daw mag-crumple or similar to that yung 2L-TE engine.. sa piston yata.. forgot the exact name..

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    I got my surf SSRX (2L engine) about 2 years ago from Subic, (directly from importer, but not from auction). Repairs I did after buying is only tightening of 1 loose fitting on my steering hose. Wala naman akong naging problema maliban dun.

maraming beses ko nang ginamit sa long trips, including twice from makati to cavite to olongapo to baguio then back to cavite then makati. Speed ko ng 120 to 140 sa north express way. Kontento din ako sa AT transmission niya (yung fluid nga nito ay di ko pa nakitang dumumi, laging mailinis). kontento naman ako dun sa conversion nung importer na kinunan ko (walang nginig parang original).

Pero madalas ay pahinga siya sa garahe, dahil every 3 months lang bakasyon ko from abroad. Hanggang ngayon nga ay mabango pa rin ang interior ng surf ko e, amoy galing sa kasa (hehehe!). Lagi lang ako palit oil every 6-7 months.

Pero siyempre, lahat ng 2nd cars ay di tayo nakakasiguro kaya dapat icheck ng mabuti.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alromcc
    I got my surf SSRX (2L engine) about 2 years ago from Subic, (directly from importer, but not from auction). Repairs I did after buying is only tightening of 1 loose fitting on my steering hose. Wala naman akong naging problema maliban dun.

maraming beses ko nang ginamit sa long trips, including twice from makati to cavite to olongapo to baguio then back to cavite then makati. Speed ko ng 120 to 140 sa north express way. Kontento din ako sa AT transmission niya (yung fluid nga nito ay di ko pa nakitang dumumi, laging mailinis). kontento naman ako dun sa conversion nung importer na kinunan ko (walang nginig parang original).

Pero madalas ay pahinga siya sa garahe, dahil every 3 months lang bakasyon ko from abroad. Hanggang ngayon nga ay mabango pa rin ang interior ng surf ko e, amoy galing sa kasa (hehehe!). Lagi lang ako palit oil every 6-7 months.

Pero siyempre, lahat ng 2nd cars ay di tayo nakakasiguro kaya dapat icheck ng mabuti.

what is your fuel cosumption?

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by popoyn
    what is your fuel cosumption?
    I didn't try to calculate e. Pero sa fuel cost ay parehas lang siya nung civic lxi (1.5L) ng esmi ko (comparison based on long trips from & to Cavite - Olongapo).

Comparative dun sa dati kong nabili sa subic na spacegear chamonix 2.8L (grabe sa lakas sa diesel kaya i sold it), para sa akin ay mas matipid na ito.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
hilux surf subic