New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by konde
    balita ko sa 2 friends ko na may surf dati, medyo prone daw sa overheating. pero baka yung units lang naman nila.
    For anyone still interested on Subic surfs, I would like to share some tips(which I got from others) on prevention/trouble shooting overheating problem on surfs, as follows

1st : check coolant level, then all hoses & radiator for leakage - run idle in your garage and look below for water drips. Replace leaking hoses or worn clamps.

2nd : check/replace thermostat - located inside the top hose connection at engine end from the radiator (needs to unscrew 2 bolts to access). - this is the usual culprit = needs few effort & small cost of a new thermostat replacement.

3rd : if still over heating, check/ re-oil your radiator fan - needs 4 tubes of silicon oil to do this.

4th : if still over heating, overhaul or replace your radiator

The above are most common senario on surfs. However, after exhausting the above solutions and overheating still remains, consider causes such as tune-up problems or engine mechanical problems (unusual, otherwise it will not come out of subic).

Other tips I got once you take your vehicle from Subic are

- change oil & filter immediately
    - detach rubber tubing to EGR (don't know why though)
    - check hair line cracks on the tires (replace with new ones if there are)
    - although a lot uses reshaped pitman arm, incase your pitman arm was welded, check quality of the weld (pick it with hammer, look for cracks).
    - check tightness of bolts & nuts used on the conversion (idle arm, pitman arm, steering shaft supports and joints)
    - remove the front chairs & front carpet. Clean all rubbish/dirt generated during conversion, then apply tire black (to avoid corrosion) before putting back you carpet.
    - if the wipers were transfered, apply grease at the underside of the plugged holes (previous positions of wipers) to avoid corrossion.

The above are really tigious to most people. But once you did, it may give you peace of mind to enjoy your vehicle.

However, I also agree on the setting away any dilemna on buying 2nd hand cars, by buying brand new ones (which I also did before). It always depend on our likes & budgets.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alromcc
    For anyone still interested on Subic surfs, I would like to share some tips(which I got from others) on prevention/trouble shooting overheating problem on surfs, as follows

1st : check coolant level, then all hoses & radiator for leakage - run idle in your garage and look below for water drips. Replace leaking hoses or worn clamps.

2nd : check/replace thermostat - located inside the top hose connection at engine end from the radiator (needs to unscrew 2 bolts to access). - this is the usual culprit = needs few effort & small cost of a new thermostat replacement.

3rd : if still over heating, check/ re-oil your radiator fan - needs 4 tubes of silicon oil to do this.

4th : if still over heating, overhaul or replace your radiator

The above are most common senario on surfs. However, after exhausting the above solutions and overheating still remains, consider causes such as tune-up problems or engine mechanical problems (unusual, otherwise it will not come out of subic).

Other tips I got once you take your vehicle from Subic are

- change oil & filter immediately
    - detach rubber tubing to EGR (don't know why though)
    - check hair line cracks on the tires (replace with new ones if there are)
    - although a lot uses reshaped pitman arm, incase your pitman arm was welded, check quality of the weld (pick it with hammer, look for cracks).
    - check tightness of bolts & nuts used on the conversion (idle arm, pitman arm, steering shaft supports and joints)
    - remove the front chairs & front carpet. Clean all rubbish/dirt generated during conversion, then apply tire black (to avoid corrosion) before putting back you carpet.
    - if the wipers were transfered, apply grease at the underside of the plugged holes (previous positions of wipers) to avoid corrossion.

The above are really tigious to most people. But once you did, it may give you peace of mind to enjoy your vehicle.

However, I also agree on the setting away any dilemna on buying 2nd hand cars, by buying brand new ones (which I also did before). It always depend on our likes & budgets.
    --I could be wrong but this is exactly what scares people about Subic cars hahahaha

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by telulah
    --I could be wrong but this is exactly what scares people about Subic cars hahahaha
    Yup, it scares some people, but not all.
    I for one, was not scared to do all the checks that i should. Also it did not scare me during my long trips from Cavite to Olongapo, and going up to Baguio two times (via rough Kennon road) with my family (5 persons & fully packed with baggage, and AC was on). Till now it is fresh & ready for more adventures. hehehe

Teka, kakahiya na, kasi para na akong salesman e. hehehe
    Hanggang dito na lang ang share ko.
    Hoped it helped some interested persons. Bye!

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    hahaha. my bro has a subic pajero. Ayos na ayos. enjoy sya. check ni joseph ang conversion at wirings, wala ng pinagkaiba. advantage over the local, mas matulin, (i dont know kung bakit e pareho lang makina,4m40, mas makapal kaha(kaya mas tumatagal kesa local), over all, mas matibay talaga ang galing japan kesa local. Syempre second hand car yon, expected na ang mga dapat gawin pagkabili.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    agree ako kay rheas. in general, lahat ng ginawa ng hapon for their own consumption is much better and cheaper than the one for export . this is one of their economic strategy. matibay at mura para sa sarili at mahal at shorter life span para sa iba. siyempre depende rin sa competition abroad. kaya dito sa pinas we used to be 5 years behind sa modelo ng japan until tumindi ang competition .
    we just have to be very carefull with the conversion. this is where jga22bo come in and streamline all the commercialized conversion. these are facts and not a paid ad by joseph

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Ilalaban ko nga ng pokpokan ang pajero ng utol ko sa local e kung patibayan din lang ang pag uusapan. Minsan pinagsabay namin ang local na fieldmaster at exceed sa coastal, e talagang iba humataw ang exceed. e sa tingin nalang mas mukha pang mabigat ang exceed kesa sa local fieldmaster. ewan ko lang kung talagang me kaibahan ha. ako me hawak ng exceed sya sa fieldmaster. Nung sumunod na test palit kmi kse bka sa driving nagkatalo e ganun parin at pareho kmi ng pakiramdam sa kanya. Ang tingin ko yung ibang me ayaw at galit sa japan imports e di matanggap na mura lang ang mga ito against sa mahal nilang pagkakabili sa local, at the same time e mas matibay pa kung tutuusin. Just my observation. Peace sisters.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    rheas-

it is not fair to judge those who are against it by saying they are jealous, whatever reasons they have against subic cars should be respected also by those who are open to subic cars.

fair comment ba ito? it is not the job for those who own subic cars to compel those who do not to share your point of view by saying they are jealous, on the contrary, what they are after is peace of mind, we on the other hand, are willing to risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by telulah
    i learned a few things about this conversion business, it is scary to get a converted car now since locators in subic remove good original parts in favor of replacements (radiator, evaporator, gearbox, etc) then they turn around and sell the parts.
    second, i have had 3 pajeros and was thinking of getting a surf for a change, i researched the models being sold here and apparently there really are issues with overheating and transmission (2.0L and 2.4L, google it and you will find a lot of surf clubs in europe and australia and read up on their comments).

the only one worth getting is the surf with the 1kz engine if you can find one, they are generally over p500k and for that money you are better of with a pajero either way since 1. parts are cheap 2. anyone can actually fix it 3. regardless of what you hear they are actually dependable.

warning, neither of the surfs here have good inventory of parts, its just that a surf with 1kz engine is awesome, 3.0L 6cyl intercooled turbo, same engine as the prado in that tiny body--talk about diesel power to weight ratio!

the problem with the surf also is that parts are expensive and not easy to find or even troubleshoot, notice how many surfs are for sale who claim not to overheat-why point it out? you dont see that on other cars, you dont see kia "hindi bulok" hahahaha

pajeros, well cant say enough about them, really they are the least of all evils from subic because it is easy to fix and once you get past that first service (drain all fluids, blah, blah, blah) it is a good deal not to mention steel manufacturing in japan is far superior to here--sorry local guys, that is the truth. those pajeros will last much longer than the local ones. but its a judgement call, others may have had other experiences, i had the first 86 pajero na skd and man that car was great compared to the 89/90 i got after that, the quality was not even close, now i am sure our manufacturing has improved but dont think for one second it is at par with japan.

you have to like tinkering with your car if you consider getting from subic, now that is the reality of it. it is not hard to select one from subic; however, hayward is right about brining a mechanic, you may actually want to get one that has been here for at least two yearss because during the infancy of this phenomena, conversions were done by the book (orig parts, no shortcut).

it was when they got better that quicker methods were realized especially when margins got thinner since there were so much coming in (replacing of parts, etc). there are pajeros with isuzu trannys now and toyota steering/suspension parts. toyota quality is indisputable although i hardly think they had pajero in mind when they made it hehe

i own a subic pajero and am thrilled about, take it to joseph atotubo in multinational if you choose to get one-you wont recognize it after he fixes it up, cheap pa and lots of good stories-
    sir 1-kz is a 3.0 4 cylinder engine, we have a landcruiser prado from a direct importer, the problem is we can't find parts easily when the engine broke due to timing belt failure, so we ordered from japan and have it rebuild by ATI at silang, cavite then they rebored it to make it 3.4L, my brother then sold it to buy a surf 2L-Tefi and LC80. No problem on both vehicles basta papalitan mo lang ng orig lefthand drive na steering columns para pantay liko. When you say converted ba does that mean yung pang right na steering column nilipat sa left? Hindi kasi ganun yung mga nakukuha namin eh, puro pang left hand na but still we replace it with a new one para bago and cgurado.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHotBlood
    sir 1-kz is a 3.0 4 cylinder engine, we have a landcruiser prado from a direct importer, the problem is we can't find parts easily when the engine broke due to timing belt failure, so we ordered from japan and have it rebuild by ATI at silang, cavite then they rebored it to make it 3.4L, my brother then sold it to buy a surf 2L-Tefi and LC80. No problem on both vehicles basta papalitan mo lang ng orig lefthand drive na steering columns para pantay liko. When you say converted ba does that mean yung pang right na steering column nilipat sa left? Hindi kasi ganun yung mga nakukuha namin eh, puro pang left hand na but still we replace it with a new one para bago and cgurado.
    sorry my mistake on 1kz, its worth it to have though just cause its so powerful!

you're right telulah, very powerful yung engine na yun ang gaang ng pedal at lakas ng hatak. Too bad nga lang yung parts sa engine hirap hanapin, pero di ko alam na may surf na ganito engine. Ok pa naman yung surf pero di ko na try ng matagal sa kuya ko kasi yun. Again, he has no problem with it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
hilux surf subic