New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    edit .. :D
    nabura na pala ata sa fb..

peru nasayo naman sir.. kung gusto mo i hataw..
    tsaka hindi ipapasa sa Qc. kaya ok lang i hataw hindi masisira yan lalo na modern na tayu ngayun,
    mainam nga ibirit kasi malalaman mo agad yung diperensiya ng sasakyan pwede mo isauli agad.

- may nakausap din ako. binirit din niya yung sakanya innova din. so far ata wala naman nagiging dipirensiya
    at sabi ng casa hindi na raw kaylangan ng "BREAK-IN"

2. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SiRbossR View Post
    You don't need to break in your engine like in the olden days.

Why? new engines of today has now a "Ceramic Coated or Chrome Coated Cylinder Barrel/Sleeve."

In layman's term, the cylinder walls where the piston is has a chrome coating that makes a slippery surface that will make your engine more durable, efficient and plus there will be lesser friction thus lower engine heat.

Contradictory to old engines, those have Steel Barrels or Steel Cylinder sleeve that needs to be broken in so the piston rings can fit properly while it kinda shave the barrel to make the piston and the rings slide in its size.

what you really need to do based on the manual is to take care of the vehicle for the first 1000km and observe the changes after.
    Sir, thanks for the explanation. Now i understand.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by SiRbossR View Post
    You don't need to break in your engine like in the olden days.

Why? new engines of today has now a "Ceramic Coated or Chrome Coated Cylinder Barrel/Sleeve."

In layman's term, the cylinder walls where the piston is has a chrome coating that makes a slippery surface that will make your engine more durable, efficient and plus there will be lesser friction thus lower engine heat.

Contradictory to old engines, those have Steel Barrels or Steel Cylinder sleeve that needs to be broken in so the piston rings can fit properly while it kinda shave the barrel to make the piston and the rings slide in its size.

what you really need to do based on the manual is to take care of the vehicle for the first 1000km and observe the changes after.
    Yup. Strict break-in practices are more crucial after an engine overhaul then a brand new engine nowadays. Some high performance engines though still have strict break in procedures to follow though. For me however, i still practice watching my right foot when i'm in the first few hundred kms but it becomes a free for all right before i bring the car in for the 1000 PMS.

On the 1,000PMS, my understanding on this is it's crucial as there may be some dirt or imperfections from the engine assembly process that may be circulating inside so this is washed out with the first change oil.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    When was the last time you've read in owners manual about the proper breaking in a new car...I can't remember I don't think it's even written there.

Saka diba before ilabas nila yan na test na yan para makita kung yun power ng engine eh kaya talags doon Sa ratings nila

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    It just occurred to me, what if you buy a new car with a prehistoric engine - say, an Adventure (4D56) or a Crosswind (4JA1). Would they still need to be broken in? After all, they're using the same engine setups for the past 20 years or so.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    wow...dami kong natutunan sa thread na ito ah....

"pitik-pitikin lang pero ihataw mo din ng 120kmh"

"di na uso break in, pero huwag mo ihataw"

hahahaha....

7. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    It just occurred to me, what if you buy a new car with a prehistoric engine - say, an Adventure (4D56) or a Crosswind (4JA1). Would they still need to be broken in? After all, they're using the same engine setups for the past 20 years or so.
    The Car maybe "BRAND NEW" but the engines are "OLD."

8. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    , better also to ensure that you practice the proper turbo cool down before turning off your engine to lengthen the lifespan of your turbocharger. [/QUOTE]

sir,,how many minutes is the cooling time in turning off engine?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
    wow...dami kong natutunan sa thread na ito ah....

"pitik-pitikin lang pero ihataw mo din ng 120kmh"

"di na uso break in, pero huwag mo ihataw"

hahahaha....
    The way to "properly" break-in your vehicle differs from the owner's preferences. By stating na pitik pitik lang at 120-130kph, nilalagay ko sa safe side yung nagtatanong. Not necessarily na ganun gagawin ko kasi mas malakas loob ko...

Quote Originally Posted by red.horse24 View Post
    sir,,how many minutes is the cooling time in turning off engine?
    1-2 minutes.

If you don't have the luxury of time to wait, just install a turbo timer.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    The way to "properly" break-in your vehicle differs from the owner's preferences. By stating na pitik pitik lang at 120-130kph, nilalagay ko sa safe side yung nagtatanong. Not necessarily na ganun gagawin ko kasi mas malakas loob ko...

1-2 minutes.

If you don't have the luxury of time to wait, just install a turbo timer.
    sir, tong turbo charge ba na to is sa D4D lang or meron din to sa VVTi?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Break-in