New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    any personal anecdotes about the durability and the quality of the latest iteration of the xl7?

binibugaw ko 'to sa brother ko since i think this the better choice than the geely okavongo , w/c his wife is infatuated with. na-inlove iyong misis niya sa panoramic sun roof kasi
    well, someone did post 2.5 years ago, that the geelies would be sporting flashes of rust underneath, 6 months after purchase...

also, i vaguely remember someone posting, that they had to wait several months for the replacement parts of their oka...

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    well, someone did post 2.5 years ago, that the geelies would be sporting flashes of rust underneath, 6 months after purchase...

also, i vaguely remember someone posting, that they had to wait several months for the replacement parts of their oka...
    so you're saying, or rather the poster you referenced is saying, that the okavonga is a potential rust bucket after a year or 2? that's not any good news at all.

i guess the scarcity of spare parts locally isn't much of a surprise considering its a neophyte in the Ph car industry (maybe even world wide?)

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    so you're saying, or rather the poster you referenced is saying, that the okavonga is a potential rust bucket after a year or 2? that's not any good news at all.

i guess the scarcity of spare parts locally isn't much of a surprise considering its a neophyte in the Ph car industry (maybe even world wide?)
    that's about it, sir.
    but a number of my colleagues in the profession, have taken to taking a chance on it.
    we should be able to give some feedback after a few years.

4. Join Date
    May 2014

Part of me is doubtful about the claim if we are not hearing much about the rust issue, unless it was a special case where the owner is actually using the car where it is "exposed" to salty air or chemicals. As all new car purchases tend to be released with a factory "thin" rustproof coating. But those are not great on "extreme cases" such as exposure to salt (near sea) or chemicals (factories that use such corrosive chemicals). Owner may have also dinged/scratched the coating causing bare metal to be exposed and not have it checked. But, also, if 6 mos lumabas na agad may rust, nakita na dapat ito sa first regular PMS or the 10k PMS which is usually 6 mos after the 1k PMS check and nadetect. So, medyo curious lang ako to the claim na easy to rust.

SoJoo Cars did a quite recent Youtube Video talking to owners of Geely Cars that have owned them for 2 to 3 years period since the brand first launched here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8WquORwGeY&t=325s

Haven't completely watched/finished the video. But haven't heard them talk about rust issues (yet).

Whether Geely or a Japanese Brand, if I'm looking at non-hybrids, then Geely Base and Mid trim models used to have a compelling value proposition (with the exception of the Emgrand sedan). With the price increase of around 200k php for their lineup, right now, that has practically evaporated and no longer the case. So, as long as Japanese brands do not have similar spike in price, I'd say the pendulum has swung back in favor of the Japanese brands, excluding Toyota which has, for a while, not had a value proposition but just a wider net when it comes to brand recognition and parts availability nationwide.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    Part of me is doubtful about the claim if we are not hearing much about the rust issue, unless it was a special case where the owner is actually using the car where it is "exposed" to salty air or chemicals. As all new car purchases tend to be released with a factory "thin" rustproof coating. But those are not great on "extreme cases" such as exposure to salt (near sea) or chemicals (factories that use such corrosive chemicals). Owner may have also dinged/scratched the coating causing bare metal to be exposed and not have it checked. But, also, if 6 mos lumabas na agad may rust, nakita na dapat ito sa first regular PMS or the 10k PMS which is usually 6 mos after the 1k PMS check and nadetect. So, medyo curious lang ako to the claim na easy to rust.

SoJoo Cars did a quite recent Youtube Video talking to owners of Geely Cars that have owned them for 2 to 3 years period since the brand first launched here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8WquORwGeY&t=325s

Haven't completely watched/finished the video. But haven't heard them talk about rust issues (yet).

Whether Geely or a Japanese Brand, if I'm looking at non-hybrids, then Geely Base and Mid trim models used to have a compelling value proposition (with the exception of the Emgrand sedan). With the price increase of around 200k php for their lineup, right now, that has practically evaporated and no longer the case. So, as long as Japanese brands do not have similar spike in price, I'd say the pendulum has swung back in favor of the Japanese brands, excluding Toyota which has, for a while, not had a value proposition but just a wider net when it comes to brand recognition and parts availability nationwide.
    The quotes I've received from some Geely agents put huge discounts from 40k upto 90k recently.

6. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by anonemus View Post
    The quotes I've received from some Geely agents put huge discounts from 40k upto 90k recently.
    During the first 2 or 3 months of each new launch, they were discounting those SRP by 100k. At least when we went to see Coolray and Okavango just a month after the launch. We were really tempted and at that price, it was a real steal.

Now though, not so much, even with the discount. I can't factor it as buffer for loss in value when reselling or for parts (as a consideration). So I can't really justify it the same way back in 2019 to 2021. It has shifted. Not saying the car is bad but it is the main thing that it had going for it.

I wonder though if MG is also going to adjust their prices, especially for the ZS line up (turbo and non turbo) as we are looking at similar market/volume between MG and Geely as far as I know.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    as an aside,
    when an owner posts that he had to wait months for his replacement parts to arrive,
    that's a deal-braker for me.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    that's all well and good pero wala bang testimonial tungkol sa performance and owner experience ng xl7 dyan?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    that's all well and good pero wala bang testimonial tungkol sa performance and owner experience ng xl7 dyan?
    try youtube-ing, sir.
    i think there are a couple of them there.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    try youtube-ing, sir.
    i think there are a couple of them there.
    yezzir. i've been scouring the net for the past few days looking into the performance and ownership experience of the xl7. pero siyempre iba sana kung galing sa fellow tsikoteer

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast