New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: What is your internet connection speed?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Above 2mbps

71 44.10%
  • Up to 2mbps

18 11.18%
  • Up to 1.5mbps

20 12.42%
  • Up to 1mbps

15 9.32%
  • Up to 768kbps

4 2.48%
  • Up to 512kbps

17 10.56%
  • Below 384kbps

14 8.70%
  • Dial-up speed (56kbps or less)

2 1.24%
Page 75 of 87 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by papi smith View Post
    Walang buyer? Hindi recycle tulad ng copper?
    Ma-bend lang fiber optic cable minsan useless na eh, lalo pa if someone forcibly removes it without proper care in handling.

In terms of raw materials I guess meron sometimes copper or aluminum used as a strength member, but far less than in electrical wire. Otherwise the core is just glass which is probably cheaper to make from raw silicon or existing glass panes rather than extracting the relatively small amount inside a fiber optic cable.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    Ma-bend lang fiber optic cable minsan useless na eh, lalo pa if someone forcibly removes it without proper care in handling.

In terms of raw materials I guess meron sometimes copper or aluminum used as a strength member, but far less than in electrical wire. Otherwise the core is just glass which is probably cheaper to make from raw silicon or existing glass panes rather than extracting the relatively small amount inside a fiber optic cable.
    Wow buti binanggit mo, now I know I can't bend it pala when I organize the cables near it.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Any PLDT fibre users here? Their 150 mbps plan got a big boost... now going at 400 mbps.|

4. Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    Any PLDT fibre users here? Their 150 mbps plan got a big boost... now going at 400 mbps.|

Same here, ganyan speed din.
    Regret tuloy why nag avail pa sa +100MBPs speed boost nila on a +99/mo add on.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    PLDT is pretty smart about keeping their plans equitable naman. If the lower tier gets a speed boost, the higher plans will usually get a corresponding boost as well so that the people on those plans don't feel "lugi".

This is a friend's connection on an old plan that got phased out. He's paying significantly less than plan 9499 (Gigabit), but PLDT pro-rated his speed to around 800Mbps.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Checked the current 50Mbps 1699 plan last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    ang Globe * Home naiwan na sa pansitan..

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I have no doubts in my mind that they're bypassing bandwidth restrictions going to their Speedtest servers so that everyone will get artificially high bandwidth results for the purposes of their PR campaigns.

Because of that, I only use Speedtest to check if there's anything wrong between PLDT and my network.

For that matter, I've lost track and don't even know what I should be getting for Plan 2899. All I know is, I typically don't get less than 400 mbps.... 300mbps at worst.... using any of PLDT/Smart servers. Anything less and there's definitely something wrong and I call them.

Last edited by oj88; November 29th, 2022 at 04:07 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    You can manually select a server not under PLDT. We have some apps hosted sa US West so I often ping ISPs near Cali where the submarine cables terminate.

For me the acid test if I can download from Steam (or Origin, Ubisoft, Epic etc), Microsoft, or the high seas and get the rated speed. Usually kasi once you get to the 300+Mbps range you're limited by the websites you're downloading from already.

This is pretty solid proof that the connection was going at around 750Mbps since Steam was able to peak at 80MB/s.

For the most part I'm happy with even 200Mbps. Even large downloads finish within the day, any more than that and it's the hard disk space that becomes an issue.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    You can manually select a server not under PLDT. We have some apps hosted sa US West so I often ping ISPs near Cali where the submarine cables terminate.

For me the acid test if I can download from Steam (or Origin, Ubisoft, Epic etc), Microsoft, or the high seas and get the rated speed. Usually kasi once you get to the 300+Mbps range you're limited by the websites you're downloading from already.

This is pretty solid proof that the connection was going at around 750Mbps since Steam was able to peak at 80MB/s.

For the most part I'm happy with even 200Mbps. Even large downloads finish within the day, any more than that and it's the hard disk space that becomes an issue.
    i also getting 10mb/s peak right now when downloading at steam.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cap.jpg  

Your internet connection speed