New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    Practically all on-demand water heaters, single or multi-point, are built pretty much the same way. They require 6-8kw, a restriction of flow & a minimum water pressure of around 35kpa/5psi. Their achilles? Won't last long with hard water. They require constant cleaning & are like CVTs...disposable. Though power consumption duration is just as long as the shower, it's 3-4 times more than a good tiny storage type Ariston(Italian...pic below, Wilcon is the Ph distributor).
    The advantages of Ariston storage heaters? Requires just 2-3kw. Thermostat & heating element are serviceable/replaceable. Easy to clean....built like conventional A/Ts. Its lone disadvantage is just that lil inconvenience....You'll need to switch it on 5mins prior to taking a shower.
    Many who've gone tired of the maintenance & replacement of on-demand heaters have gone Ariston's way. The 4 & 8gal models have the corrosion resistant plastic body. They can be mounted under the lavatory or outside for easier maintenance access.
    From service & ownership experience, having tried most out there, I'd point the trusty Ariston. Rebuildable, parts aplenty.....Low maintenance......lesser consumption....way longer service life.Water heater for Showers

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Ang drama naman ng post na 'to, parang napaka-bad choice ng on-demand heater. Water heater for Showers

We have an on-demand Ariston heater at home that's been working for the past 8 years and counting. Have claimed warranty once with it but after they replaced the heating element (so actually these heaters are also serviceable), no more issues.

My current Stiebel Eltron also only requires 3.5 KW and isn't a resource-hog. My monthly electric bill is just 1.2k-1.5k.

Also, for people without multi-point plumbing and electrical wiring readily available, having your typical on-demand heater is the easiest and sometimes only choice.

5 min before taking a shower is also a huge time difference especially in the morning rush hour. Will gladly pay extra to get 5 more minutes of sleep in the morning.

Lastly, jusko we're only talking about ~7k here. Over the course of 5 years that's just 4 pesos a day. No big deal really if it's disposable - that said, heaters come with warranty anyway.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Ang drama naman ng post na 'to, parang napaka-bad choice ng on-demand heater. Water heater for Showers

We have an on-demand Ariston heater at home that's been working for the past 8 years and counting. Have claimed warranty once with it but after they replaced the heating element (so actually these heaters are also serviceable), no more issues.

My current Stiebel Eltron also only requires 3.5 KW and isn't a resource-hog. My monthly electric bill is just 1.2k-1.5k.

Also, for people without multi-point plumbing and electrical wiring readily available, having your typical on-demand heater is the easiest and sometimes only choice.

5 min before taking a shower is also a huge time difference especially in the morning rush hour. Will gladly pay extra to get 5 more minutes of sleep in the morning.

Lastly, jusko we're only talking about ~7k here. Over the course of 5 years that's just 4 pesos a day. No big deal really if it's disposable - that said, heaters come with warranty anyway.

Your call to take it as whatever, good sir. Just putting out there some industry feedback & experience w/ various types of heaters. Both types have pros/cons & some brands are better built than others.
    The Ariston you have may not be on-demand but storage type, sir....otherwise you won't have that chance to replace the element. The on-demand ones are electronic, the storage is primitive electrical. The preparations are pretty much the same for both.
    Yes, the amount isn't much but for the about same cost(which those brands mentioned are) less frequent plumber calls & inconvenience should be welcome bonuses.

Note: pic is a sample spec sheet of a Pana on demand.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    Your call to take it as whatever, good sir. Just sharing some industry experience w/ various types of heaters. Again, not a vendor of any of those brands.
    The Ariston you have may not be on-demand but storage type, sir....otherwise you won't have that chance to replace the element. The on-demand ones are electronic, the storage is primitive electrical.

Not sure if heating element nga yung pinalitan basta the thermostat stopped working, called the warranty guy, came over and fixed it. Same config siya as my Stiebel Eltron (i.e. takes water from the shower water pipe and outputs it to the shower head). Looks something like this:

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Travis is a living legend lol...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Not sure if heating element nga yung pinalitan basta the thermostat stopped working, called the warranty guy, came over and fixed it. Same config siya as my Stiebel Eltron (i.e. takes water from the shower water pipe and outputs it to the shower head). Looks something like this:

That's indeed an Ariston on-demand similar to your current Stiebel, sir. Common faults are caused by calcification of everything...from the trigger, to the flow restricting tubes & the heating element. Once clogged, there won't be enough volume nor pressure to make the heater turn on.
    You guys up north aren't on limestone bedrock like our neckodawoods. Water here is super hard. Softeners are a necessity to keep plumbing in constant good service. The on-demand won't have your luck nor half the longevity here.....I hope you can pardon the drama, sir.Water heater for Showers

Note: Bosch & Ariston share a few identical storage heater models.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Our Joven 2000 heater finally gave up after ~15yrs.

New heater installed is Alpha brand. I did some mods to make it work even under low pressure/flow of water.

alphaheat1.jpg
    Last edited by kinyo; January 24th, 2020 at 11:30 AM.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    "Jett."
    after over 8 years, ok pa.
    it survived our shift from well water to nawasa water.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Champs Aston I have each in my 2 shower rooms at home. Because water flows to it which a conductor and leakage prone, I choose mechanical than heaters with digital components.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    We (aka my wife) chose Lecston primarily because it wasn't plain white like most other brands in its price range. Getting a free rainfall shower with it helped seal the deal.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by african888 View Post
    question po, pag wala ELSD yong heater unit, would a circuit breaker address this issue?? am considering some brands na wala ELSD, just want to confirm kung totoo yong sinasabi ng sales agent. thanks
    Apologies that my answer is 6 years delayed....

ELSD prevents you from being electrocuted while taking a shower in case there's an internal fault. If it senses 'leaking' voltages where it shouldn't be (ie. the water coming out, pipes, heater body or chassis), it sends a signal to its internal breaker to trip, shutting off power to the heater. Remember, it doesn't take much electricity to kill you and you'll be long dead before the current can rise up to a level that can trip the breaker in your home so this feature is absolutely a lifesaver.

On all our water heaters, there's a "Test" button that you can press to test if the ELSD is working. When pressed, the heater should immediately shutdown. You can then push another button to reset it.

Look for this feature when you're in the market for such products.

Equally important is good grounding. This will be your last defense in case the heater together with the ELSD fails.
    Last edited by oj88; January 30th, 2020 at 07:48 PM.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast