New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    seriously dude, ubuntu is lighter than fedora. if you want a super fast ubuntu, you'll be needing the xubuntu since it uses lightweight xfce desktop.

btw, SELinux really works lol. just "tried" it last night
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Do you have a copy of the Xubuntu you are talking about bro?
    iam3739.com

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    i'll hafta download it first if you need a copy

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    no need to re-install ubuntu itself to use the xfce desktop. you can just type in the console: sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop. that'll auto download and install xfce to your current ubuntu version.

when the installation is done, you need to logout (not reboot) then select xfce in the session option in the login screen.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ephraim View Post
    i've been a linux user (ubuntu, specifically) for almost a year. had to give it up since the folks here at home wanted simplicity (dual boot isn't so user friendly) and i switched to mac OS X as well. but, during the time i used ubuntu, i was very happy with it. now that 8.10 is out, i'm planning to download it and do a dual-boot on my laptop. or maybe, i could look for an old PC or an old laptop to salvage.

hmmm. just a thought. i never really got the hang of compiz fusion. hanggang compiz lang ako. hahaha. na-enganyo ako nung napanood ko yung windows aero vs. beryl video. hehe. :P

and, has anybody tried ubuntu 8.10? how is it? :D
    VirtualBox works well for letting users "boot" into windows and other OS'es WITHOUT rebooting. I have assigned 768MB for my WinXP virtual machine under Ubuntu and it works quite well!

No need to dual-boot which just takes an unnecessarily long time...

just do "sudo apt-get install virtualbox", open it, and create a virtual machine and install your OS in it!

Ang galing! No need to do hocus-pocus like that Wine approach to installing Office 2007/2003.

I would think Ubuntu 8.10 will work well for most people. I think I'm only having problems because of drivers specific to my Thinkpad's hardware. :sad:

But I can't stop using Ubuntu... i haven't booted into my Vista partition in more than a week now... I think.
    Last edited by woohoo; November 30th, 2008 at 10:13 PM.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    bah didnt know this thread exists

using ubuntu for quite a month na yata. i was intrigued by what safe is always talking about sa SB. of course at first it was soooo confusing. installing software is different from windows. and i have to study how to install software from source code. so far so good. i used emerald theme manager but noticed it slowed down my system. so i reverted back to metacity --replace.

got surprised too sa unang start. kasi in winblows i have to install gigabit ethernet controller so i can have internet. but in ubuntu i got install internet access. plus instant sound! and instant printer! i have no need to install drivers for those. what is not working is my webcam. and sound sometimes turns off. but ive got a fix: under sound settings, put all to alsa then back to OSS (for sigmatel ac97) and i also found some programs in ubuntu 8.10 somewhat buggy this is the drawback from ubuntu so far. but it was good even if programs are buggy. ang iba lang naman. and there are many free programs din! galing talaga ng ubuntu. at galing pa ng effects my cousin was so fascinated with it anybody here had used beryl?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    nope, just sticking to emerald as of now

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    *JJ: Beryl = Compiz now.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    *JJ: Beryl = Compiz now.
    ah ok.. yung mga nakikita ko pala sa youtube mga old videos yun still using beryl. pero ang gaganda ng mga effects ng beryl ah.. hehe

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    pwede ako dito .

using linux via eeepc. played with damn small linux on and off. now looking into running something with my new vista desktop.

tsikot-linux club