New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 9 of 163 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    our shops have been running splits for more than ten years now. i have observed that the KOLIN units are more problematic (dud compressors, crappy electronics, et. al.) than the CARRIERs. couple that with lousy customer service from the kolin distributor and its authorized service centers. i'll never consider a kolin unit again.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by diesoline View Post
    our shops have been running splits for more than ten years now. i have observed that the KOLIN units are more problematic (dud compressors, crappy electronics, et. al.) than the CARRIERs. couple that with lousy customer service from the kolin distributor and its authorized service centers. i'll never consider a kolin unit again.
    That's weird. We have a couple of Kolin window A/Cs that are at leat 8 years old. These are the digital models (temp, fan, timer, etc.) They stood a lot better than the Carriers we had.

But maybe Kolins are just not as good with bigger capacity A/Cs.

3. Join Date
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    ^ There could be a few reasons that would cause that:

1. Low refrigerant
    2. High refrigerant - causing the compressor overload/thermal protection to trip
    3. Bad compressor
    Thanks for the reply. Refrigerant level was ok, so that leaves me with reason no. 3. Yikes!

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    That's weird. We have a couple of Kolin window A/Cs that are at leat 8 years old. These are the digital models (temp, fan, timer, etc.) They stood a lot better than the Carriers we had.

But maybe Kolins are just not as good with bigger capacity A/Cs.
    you're right, oj88. the kolin window units are very reliable. that's the reason why we opted to give their splits a try.

too bad their larger units are not as good.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    I have been using the Panasonic 2.5hp inverter split type aircon for 6 months now. So far I am very happy with it. Bilis lumamig ng sala ko kahit minsan me party daming tao gininaw visitors ko .

Now I am planning to replace our 2 room window aircon to split type inverter (patatakpan ko na lang yung dating butas). I am sure mas bababa meralco bill ko when using inverters).

I am seeing new inverters from Carrier, Koli, iDec, etc. Mas maganda kaya talaga ang Panasonic? Also, bakit walang window type na inverter?

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    parang may ad na ang Carrier na window type na inverter.. save 60% daw on electricity eh..

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    *thebat; meron Hitachi na WACU inverter 2hp; 55K. hahahaha!

*everyone: malaki ba talaga ang tipid ng inverter? how much does a typical 1.5hp inverter consume (in kWh or PhP please) per month?

Nagulat kasi ako sa AC ko (1.5hp lang), additional 4K sa monthly bill! Mahina lang naman sya, mga 1.3KW lang. Last month, halos 18hrs/day sya ginagamit, usually at full blast (full speed fan, 16 degrees Celsius ).

Going with the current spike theory, naisip ko tuloy gumawa ng device to mitigate that.

I'm also now thinking of selling the AC then bili na lang ng inverter split baka mas makamura e. Since rainy season na, baka mag-sale sila. hehe

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    *thebat; meron Hitachi na WACU inverter 2hp; 55K. hahahaha!

*everyone: malaki ba talaga ang tipid ng inverter? how much does a typical 1.5hp inverter consume (in kWh or PhP please) per month?

Nagulat kasi ako sa AC ko (1.5hp lang), additional 4K sa monthly bill! Mahina lang naman sya, mga 1.3KW lang. Last month, halos 18hrs/day sya ginagamit, usually at full blast (full speed fan, 16 degrees Celsius ).

Going with the current spike theory, naisip ko tuloy gumawa ng device to mitigate that.

I'm also now thinking of selling the AC then bili na lang ng inverter split baka mas makamura e. Since rainy season na, baka mag-sale sila. hehe
    If you plan to use maximum cooling all the time, (ie. 16 deg C), you're better off with a conventional split-type. They're more efficient at 100% cooling capacity than inverter types.

The reason behind this is that the inverter has an AC-DC conversion loss. Meaning, the inverter circuitry consumes a bit of parasitic power and it dissipates this as extra heat. In effect, an inverter A/C running at full capacity will use around 5% more power than an equivalent conventional A/C of the same cooling capacity.

On the other hand, inverter A/Cs shine when the compressor RPM is allowed to slow down (ie. warmer temp setting), that's when it gets efficient compared to typical A/C compressors that can't slow down.

Again, if your application only requires you to cool the room at a somewhat comfortable 25-26 deg C, inverter types will be more efficient. But if you want maximum cooling most or all the time, go with conventional A/Cs instead.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the informative insight OJ88. I'll do some experiments for now in an attempt to mitigate the current spike which probably drove my elec bill crazy high since I'm in an industrial zone. I'll also install a thermo-controlled ducted ventilation system (mura lang ito ) to keep my house cool automatically.

Right now, I just keep the temp at 20C during the day and 22-24 at night til morning because it gets uncomfortably freezing cold already. The drought must be that bad. hehe

Still the question in my mind:
    Can a meager powered 1.5hp AC really add 4K to your elec bill? I just can't believe it esp since I bought this for its high EER (11.3 kJ/W) | 1,165W | 13,200 kJ. Is it really possible? I was expecting mga 2k lang kasi. If this continues, and I'm really hoping it won't, I'll be spending close to 50K a year just for this appliance.

҉҉҉҉

10. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Good day sir, tanong ko lng kakabili lng namin ng samsung 2.5hp(eto ung snbi ng surveyor na bilhin namin) last week then dun pa lng nagkakaproblema na. d bumababa ng 29 temp namin, so bumalik ung technician nila at dinagdagan ng freon.. ngyun naman 5 hours na stuck to 27-28 ung temp, ano kaya problem nito? parang nasayang lng pera namin..

Split Type Aircon: Which is best?